V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...looking for a little help here.

2005 FXD, just had 1K service done last week. Pulled her out of non heated garage today, 45 degrees outside.

Noticed an intermittent, inconsistent clackety-clack that I traced to the primary, when I first fired her up. As I drove along, and warmed up, and noise pretty much dissapeared.

Now of course because I noticed the noise in the first place, I put my head next to the primary (when I got to my destination), and I hear noises that I assume are normal noises of a running bike.

Stayed there for an hour, complete cool down, fired up with choke on, same clackety clack. When I got home, clackety gone.

Im assuming this is cold weather related, but my Sporty never did this so it strikes me as unusual.

Any thoughts appreciated.
-Dave

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Primary chain needs to be adjusted correctly. Its a tad loose I'd say...when the primary expands the chain gets tighter and the noise is gone.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
They should have adjusted your primary during the 1k service. Take it back to the dealer and tell them it's rattling.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
JamieWG said:
They should have adjusted your primary during the 1k service. Take it back to the dealer and tell them it's rattling.
And tell them to set it to the tight spot.....check it in four areas while turning it one revolution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See now what gets me is that if the chain is cold, it should be at its tightest, and when it heats up, the expansion should cause slack...at least inside of my head thats the way it makes sense.

All in all it makes sense that there was an incorrect adjustment during the 1K mile service. Seems no one ever gets the primary right. Last time I had my Sporty done, they made it too tight.

Going to have pipes done in a few weeks, and have dealer look at it then.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
XL-Decentglide said:
See now what gets me is that if the chain is cold, it should be at its tightest, and when it heats up, the expansion should cause slack...at least inside of my head thats the way it makes sense.

All in all it makes sense that there was an incorrect adjustment during the 1K mile service. Seems no one ever gets the primary right. Last time I had my Sporty done, they made it too tight.

Going to have pipes done in a few weeks, and have dealer look at it then.
Its the chain case that expands...since its alum. it expands faster and futher than the steel chain making the chain tighter when hot.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
When the engine/trans get's warmed up the pulley's get further apart and thus the slack in the chain tightens up a bit.

Edit: What Doc say's

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
See the Doc's post (hdmd88) about checking the primary chain in more than one place. A lot of shops don't do it this way and it causes problems, sometimes too loose and sometimes too tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts