V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know at what speed the new Dyna six-speed redlines in each gear?

I have the 06 SuperGlide (no tach) and I'm trying to figure out what speed in each gear is redline (5500rpm) so when I'm accelerating up to freeway speeds on the on-ramp I know I'm hitting the right shift points.

I havent been able to track down this info in writing anywhere yet.

Brad

·
Ironsomething
845 Posts
yep, I just got an '06 FXDI and it REALLY bugs me not having a tach. I've been wondering the same thing as you but it looks like nobody knows...

I have just been using my gut feeling as to how the engine feels and sounds to estmate my rpm.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting man, I was like, I cant be the only one who gives a crap about how many rpms I'm running.

I cant believe they dont put something in the manual about it, at least a little something in the break-in section.

Yeah, I guess nobody knows. I just had my 1k service today so for some reason I feel a little more comfortable about laying into it.

I guess the only other way would be to run up against the rev-limiter a few times in each gear huh?

Where are the guys with the low-riders and the wide glides, those guys have tachs standard dont they?

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Wide Glides have no tach. Just ride the bike and get the feel of it. You don't need a tach to know when to shift. The manual has a list of speeds for each gear, but it's useless. The manual is full of errors... HD even has the tranny and engine drain plugs mixed up in the manual.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 06 Superglide hit the rev limiter @ about 40 mph in first, 60 in 2nd, 80 in 3rd w/ the original ecm (I did bump into it in 4th, but I was so scared that I had my eyes closed). I put a 6200 rpm limiter in recently, and haven't buzzed it up there yet (still shaking from that previous 4th gear run). Just wind it up and note where the speedo is when it hits the rev limiter in these gears, then back off a little from those points for max acceleration w/o stumbling across the rev limiter. A H-D tach won't be as steady as the speedo needle, so unless the GB MoCo fixed up their tach performance in the last couple years, watching the speedo is a more accurate indicator for shiftpoints, IMO.

·
Registered
454 Posts
tachometer

I don't think shifting at redline is the way to get maximum acceleration out of these things anyways. The torque and acceleration starts to drop off well before you hit the rev limiter. Get a feel for the bike and you'll know when to shift for maximum progress. In any case, if you hit the rev limiter you'll know it and it will keep you from breaking the bike. IMO, on a bike as loud and mechanically present as a Harley Big Twin, a tach has always seemed less than necessary to me.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Here's a spreadsheet that calculates mph in each gear for a given rpm. Enter your rpm in the green cell and read the mph in the yellow cells.

·
Registered
95 Posts
OrangeTJ said:
I don't think shifting at redline is the way to get maximum acceleration out of these things anyways. The torque and acceleration starts to drop off well before you hit the rev limiter. Get a feel for the bike and you'll know when to shift for maximum progress. In any case, if you hit the rev limiter you'll know it and it will keep you from breaking the bike. IMO, on a bike as loud and mechanically present as a Harley Big Twin, a tach has always seemed less than necessary to me.
I agree that shifting at 5500 ("redline") will not yield max. acceleration for a basically stock hog. But wherever the HP peak is on the curve(say 5000 rpm for a stock TC, and 5300 rpm for a Stage I), you need to buzz past (to the right of) it so that when shifting up, the rpm then falls to the left of the HP peak. It centers the HP peak curve in the rpm range of that gear, which maximizes the avg. HP output within that rpm range. So for an unmodified TC engine, shifting just under the "redline" (5200 rpm??) should yield very close to max. acceleration. With free breathing mufflers and a/c, the shift point could easily be 5500 and higher (that's why a SE ecm recalibration for Stage I moves the rev limiter up to 6200).

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
dirtyduck said:
My 06 Superglide hit the rev limiter @ about 40 mph in first, 60 in 2nd, 80 in 3rd w/ the original ecm (I did bump into it in 4th, but I was so scared that I had my eyes closed). I put a 6200 rpm limiter in recently, and haven't buzzed it up there yet (still shaking from that previous 4th gear run). Just wind it up and note where the speedo is when it hits the rev limiter in these gears, then back off a little from those points for max acceleration w/o stumbling across the rev limiter. A H-D tach won't be as steady as the speedo needle, so unless the GB MoCo fixed up their tach performance in the last couple years, watching the speedo is a more accurate indicator for shiftpoints, IMO.
scared of what???????????????

·
Registered
95 Posts
Actually, my eyes were wide open glued to the road, and wasn't caring about the exact rev limiter mph in 4th gear. Anything that's this heavy, goes this fast, has this lower caliber of tires and brakes, really commands my full scanning attention on a 2 lane road over 100 mph (and over 40 mph, for that matter). It's very easy to go 140 mph on the same roads w/ a 900 Ninja, w/o thinking it's a big deal. Superglide's a different story. The great thing about the SG is that it's thrilling (to me) at a much lower speed. No need to go over 100, except for test purposes only :->.
BTW cladbal, what is the speedo cal no that's in your ThunderMax ecm? If it's 40960 in an 06 Dyna, it's not correct and your speedo/odo will read higher than actual.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Actually, my eyes were wide open glued to the road, and wasn't caring about the exact rev limiter mph in 4th gear. Anything that's this heavy, goes this fast, has this lower caliber of tires and brakes, really commands my full scanning attention on a 2 lane road over 100 mph (and over 40 mph, for that matter). It's very easy to go 140 mph on the same roads w/ a 900 Ninja, w/o thinking it's a big deal. Superglide's a different story. The great thing about the SG is that it's thrilling (to me) at a much lower speed. No need to go over 100, except for test purposes only :->.
BTW cladbal, what is the speedo cal no that's in your ThunderMax ecm? If it's 40960 in an 06 Dyna, it's not correct and your speedo/odo will read higher than actual.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
JamieWG said:
Wide Glides have no tach. Just ride the bike and get the feel of it. You don't need a tach to know when to shift.
I agree, you don't need a tach to tell you when to shift. I shift mine at 20-30-40-50mph most of the time but if I'm pushing it more if in a hurry then 25-35-45-55mph. I usually don't even look at the speedo and just shift by the sound of the engine.

·
HOG Member
33 Posts
What is a good 5th and 6th gear crusing speed for the 06 Dyna? I dont have a tach. Is 5th or 6th too much or too little at the 55-60 MPH range?

·
Registered
178 Posts
55 - 60 is the minimum speed to shift into 6th gear... if you are on the freeway. On a 55 mph two lane road, it's twixt and tween. If you are in traffic and having to slow down/speed up a lot, you'll do a lot less shifting if you just stay in 5th gear.

When I'm getting on the freeway, I usually stay in 5th gear until I get into my lane, and then drop it into 6th.

I guess because I've driven manual transmissions most of my life, I don't have any problem knowing when to shift without a tach when I'm accelerating. With this six speed though, I'm still off on my timing on the downshifts. The 5 speed Superglide I had didn't require nearly as much shifting.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
dirtyduck said:
i will check, but i switch out with the stock ecm from time to time for a reference.

·
Registered
95 Posts
look it up on your PC.It's under Module settings... then open basic settings. A page will open to the right w/ a Speedo Cal no. in the block. Mine came w/ 40960 in that block, and that was from Zippers. They since told me that 45900 was the correct no.

·
Registered
50 Posts
dirtyduck said:

i have a 06 street bob...

i have purchased the TFI, Arlen Ness Big Sucker..and am looking at gettin the stagered short shots..

i have not had the download..

but i do want to be able to bump up my revs..
is the download the only way or is there a add on i can purchase?

thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts