1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, what do yall think of this

SHOCK AND AWE
Read related story
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are your thoughts on the new policy banning Tasers against illegals held in U.S. jails?
Tasers should never be used against anyone – they have caused many deaths
This is America, not the Spanish Inquisition – using a Taser is a form of torture
If the local sheriffs don't like the policy they don't have to take the federal money
It's outrageous – Tasers are an effective tool for controlling unruly inmates
This policy turns over the security of the jail to the worst of the inmates
The new policy ties the hands of those who have to deal with the problem and makes them more vulnerable to lawsuits
Kudos to those sheriffs who refuse the federal money and run their jails in the way they know works
I agree with the sheriff: 'If it's good enough for an American citizen to get Tased, it's good enough for an illegal alien to get Tased'
Jailers wouldn't have to shock unruly detained illegals with Tasers if we had an electric fence at the border

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
knuckleheader said:
well, what do yall think of this

SHOCK AND AWE
Read related story
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are your thoughts on the new policy banning Tasers against illegals held in U.S. jails?
Tasers should never be used against anyone – they have caused many deaths
This is America, not the Spanish Inquisition – using a Taser is a form of torture
If the local sheriffs don't like the policy they don't have to take the federal money
It's outrageous – Tasers are an effective tool for controlling unruly inmates
This policy turns over the security of the jail to the worst of the inmates
The new policy ties the hands of those who have to deal with the problem and makes them more vulnerable to lawsuits
Kudos to those sheriffs who refuse the federal money and run their jails in the way they know works
I agree with the sheriff: 'If it's good enough for an American citizen to get Tased, it's good enough for an illegal alien to get Tased'
Jailers wouldn't have to shock unruly detained illegals with Tasers if we had an electric fence at the border
The last sentence is the answer to all the above...jus' sayin'

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kerry upholding what he encouraged???

swmnkdinthervr said:
The last sentence is the answer to all the above...jus' sayin'
Wasn't it funny how after the initial post, that student[Miami ] illustrated the effectivness of a stun gun.

Not sayin it was needed since I heard he was on ground and cuffed.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
It opens up the possability of abuse. We have a torture device that leaves little marks. Some say that they do no damage, just look at some patients who have had electro shock therapy. Even in a hospital setting it has given problems.

Use of these devices by police and prison guards should be severely limited. Some depts and institutions seem to think that they are handing out justice. The use of these devices against those who have given up and those in restraints should be considered torture. This is a weapon that should be used only when the LEO is outnumbered or one to one. A group of officers are just watching another officer using a taser is just wrong. Cattle prods are illegal to use against people, a taser or shocker is just the same thing.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Miami incident

The student getting tasered by a group of "college police" (like the university can establish its own police state) is a great demonstration of what happens when you allow self regulated policies. Once again we see an example of what happens when a person or persons are given positions of authority where they alone determine how to respond. Tasering the college kid for his "free speech" is just another example of how far the authority figures go; doing what they want based on their interpretation of law and civil rights. Do you have nay doubts that at least a couple of the "officers" had that taser ready to go before they ever entered the building: just waiting for a reason to let her rip?

You don't have to do a lot of searches for stories involving taser use and police to find lots of incidents where the tasering was done by some overzealous or power freak. It does not take a great deal of thought to believe the same mind set individuals would taser anyone just becasue they can.

on-the-other hand I would not mind carrying one as a self defence enhancement.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
there is no doubt that police enjoy using the Taser and I'm sure some times it is unjustified. HOWEVER, it is a whole lot safer than a billyclub.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any validity to what I've heard. The student puts video clips on U-Tube.

Was he video taped by a friend? Now, he (if it's true)could destroy the tape and get a bigger payout if he sues.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
safe is relative

Fred1369 said:
there is no doubt that police enjoy using the Taser and I'm sure some times it is unjustified. HOWEVER, it is a whole lot safer than a billy club.
Safer than a billy club is a relative comparison at best. You can say either the taser of the billy is safer than shooting. You could say mace is safer than tasers, guns, billy and a few other methods. It really gets down to who is empowered to taser whom under what circumstances. A campus cop tasering a resistive student is a real bad example of justification for any physical restraint.

At what point is the taser necessary to protect ones person safety is the paramount issue at hand? Excessive force, be it physical or otherwise is simply not acceptable. We witness far to many incident across this country where someone gets an ass kicking by an overzealous cop. Are we willing to allow the remainder of the authority figures (campus cops, mall security personnel, ushers at a football game) to make the determination when they can taser someone. Does it really take four cops to remove a fourteen year old from a class room because the kid might have smoked a joint before class?

Every hour of TV documentary at prisons around the country has a segment with the extraction team. And in every episode the extraction team (six to eight guards) use some rather heavy handed means of removing a guy from his cell. In many of the instances we don't know the full story, but we certainly get to see some inmate get his ass kicked by the team. And your seeing the extraction team who know they are being videoed; imagine what happens when there are no cameras.

It falls back to an overall attitude that has developed in this country. Your the appointed authority figure so you should be able to do what you believe is best. Then let public sympathy determine if you were right of wrong.

Any of you have your buddies or yourselves spent time in the brig. Remember the absolute **** those guys got by the Marine brig chasers as soon as they got to the brig. Not after they got sentenced to brig time but just by getting picked up and ending up in the brig for the night.

My remembrances of how those guys who got pick up goes something like this: first they shaved your head then they wet you down with a fire hose and put you into a cell for the night. If you got released the next day or if you got court marshaled you got the same level of BS treatment when you got to the brig. That crap treatment of guys I knew has always stuck with me: given a little power it goes to the heads of those given the power.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
toybox99615 said:
You don't have to do a lot of searches for stories involving taser use and police to find lots of incidents where the tasering was done by some overzealous or power freak. It does not take a great deal of thought to believe the same mind set individuals would taser anyone just becasue they can.

on-the-other hand I would not mind carrying one as a self defence enhancement.

Well your last comment is interesting considering what you stated. "Let me hold others to a standard I don't want to be held to", comes to mind.

So if we took the taser's away and left them only with their guns, would that be better? I mean, power freaks and all. :hmmm:

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
exactly

HiAngle said:
Well your last comment is interesting considering what you stated. "Let me hold others to a standard I don't want to be held to", comes to mind.

So if we took the taser's away and left them only with their guns, would that be better? I mean, power freaks and all. :hmmm:

HiAngle my last statement is more simplistic that you read. Simply it means that like the rest of the world I'd like my own level of power above everyone else: if some of us can have tasers then all of us should be able to have one.

I can not say for sure if having only guns would be better. But I can say I do believe the thought process of knowing the results of using a gun (a true deadly weapon) and the thought process of a taser (possible deadly weapon) are substantially different. I can probably kill someone with a fly swatter and honestly believe it could not happen. I can not say I believe shooting someone has no possability of killing them.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
The student being tasered has nothing to do with the origional post. LEO's and CO's have to face dangerous and crazy people on a regular basis. They need every tool available to them. If they are in danger and pepper spray isn't getting the job done they can utilize tasers, a less than lethal weapon, before resorting to deadly force.
I know of some security people that taser each other for fun. Unless you have health problems it's not that big a deal.
That illegals should get special considerations that leave our law enforcement people more vulnerable is an outrage.
Let our PC policymakers deal one on one with these illegal violent offenders.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
toybox99615 said:
I can not say for sure if having only guns would be better. But I can say I do believe the thought process of knowing the results of using a gun (a true deadly weapon) and the thought process of a taser (possible deadly weapon) are substantially different. I can probably kill someone with a fly swatter and honestly believe it could not happen. I can not say I believe shooting someone has no possability of killing them.

I don't believe police are trained to fire "wounding shots". If the situation escalates to the the point where it requires them to use their weapon, I'd have to believe it is to kill. That's how it is for us in the Army. If I fire my weapon at you, it is to kill you. I am aiming for your chest or head, not your pinky finger.

Non-lethal weapon systems are designed to incapicitate an individual. Sure, there can be deaths but that's not the intent. Having never been enough of an ass to a police officer so as to make them tase me, I will say it looks uncomfortable but given the choice of being shot or tased, I'll take my chances with being tased.

Many of the non-lethal weapon systems were designed to bridge the gap between "fighting" with an individual and shooting an individual. Also, the trend of police assisted suicides was cause for alarm. But to say, "Well somebody could die if they were tased and therefore we should get rid of them", is ridiculous. Taking away non-lethal weapon systems from officers is not better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts