V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't figure it out. Brake light works, rear turns work, but no rear running lights. Fuses have continuity and wires look good. The brake bulb was blown and I replaced it, so I'm thinking maybe I had a surge. I can really use some help on this one, so please throw me some thoughts on this. Can't ride her like she is and not looking forward to paying $60 an hour at the shop.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Are you saying that this problem started after you replaced the brake bulb, and everything except the stop light function of the brake light was working? This might sound stupid, but are you sure you got the right replacement bulb? Sounds like a short to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, it does sound like a short. I was adding a smart equalizer to the signals, which was defective. It blew the brake bulb. I took off the equalizer, replaced the brake bulb and now there's no rear running lights.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Are you talking about the running light in the brake light housing?

Or are you looking at the rear turn signals for running lights?

You don't say anything about year but unless something has changed, rear turn signals on Harley's have never been running lights unless you add the kit to make them so.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Can't figure it out. Brake light works, rear turns work, but no rear running lights. Fuses have continuity and wires look good. The brake bulb was blown and I replaced it, so I'm thinking maybe I had a surge. I can really use some help on this one, so please throw me some thoughts on this. Can't ride her like she is and not looking forward to paying $60 an hour at the shop.
Ed is correct. If your bike's rear lighting is stock, then you won't have running lights. The rear turn bulbs are single element, while the fronts are dual element, giving the fronts only 'running' light function.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Loosing my lone tail light is exactly why I added a kit that turns my two turn signals into tail lights and retains the turn signal function. All I had to do was take off my seat and ignition module. Plug in the light thingy, and I was done. Now I've got two amber tail lights, really visible. About $60.00 on Ebay.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Loosing my lone tail light is exactly why I added a kit that turns my two turn signals into tail lights and retains the turn signal function. All I had to do was take off my seat and ignition module. Plug in the light thingy, and I was done. Now I've got two amber tail lights, really visible. About $60.00 on Ebay.
I will always defend anyone's right to do as they please. However, this doesn't sound right to me. IMHO, all the 'equalizer kits' I have dealt with ( or seen in use ), change the rear turn lens to RED. Think about a car.... red running lights in the rear, turns can be amber or red. The kits change bulbs also, to double element, which provides 'run' and brake function, and is required to be RED. Running lights at rear should be RED. It might in fact be the law ( I have heard this ). Just my 2 cents, trying to help, that's all.:whistle:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a similar issue on my Dyna when the rear tire scrubbed through the insulated wires in the underside of the rear fender.

Hope it helps!

·
Iron Butt
878 Posts
My 08 Cross Bones had the same problem & it turned out HD had incorporated a module in the rear light system & that component failed. While I waited for the part to come in the dealer tech was able to bypass the module & keep the taillight working... 1st one was replaced under warranty. 2nd one cost me $$$...I suppose I shoulda just had em bypass it again, but...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My rear tail light and rear running lights (kit) do not work, but the brake and signal lights do. I just had an ignition interlock device installed and I just replaced the battery. The fuses all look good. Have any easy fixes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2011 Fat Boy Lo
How it came about was while on a ride, I had a red light on speedo turn on and gas gauge light went out and gas gauge went to empty (full tank of gas)
I had the adaptor kit to make turn signals running lights, after taking seat off and seeing that the adaptor was broken, I disconnected and and plugged stick wires back together, still the rear tail light was on not running but worked when I used the break levers (hand and foot), took apart the light housing saw that the bulb looked dark both filaments intact but I got a replacement bulb, so now the brake light works but still no running light in tail light....I have checked over every square inch of wire and fuses and everything is good.
My question is since the red light on speedo came on to alert a problem, if I'm still having an electrical problem wouldn't that red light be on?....I'm one who likes to fix and work on his own vehicles like many of you so if I don't have to go to the dealer that would be a plus...
Any ideas????

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2011 Fat Boy Lo
How it came about was while on a ride, I had a red light on speedo turn on and gas gauge light went out and gas gauge went to empty (full tank of gas)
I had the adaptor kit to make turn signals running lights, after taking seat off and seeing that the adaptor was broken, I disconnected and and plugged stick wires back together, still the rear tail light was on not running but worked when I used the break levers (hand and foot), took apart the light housing saw that the bulb looked dark both filaments intact but I got a replacement bulb, so now the brake light works but still no running light in tail light....I have checked over every square inch of wire and fuses and everything is good.
My question is since the red light on speedo came on to alert a problem, if I'm still having an electrical problem wouldn't that red light be on?....I'm one who likes to fix and work on his own vehicles like many of you so if I don't have to go to the dealer that would be a plus...
Any ideas????
Did you figure out the problem? My 2015 softail slim is doing the same thing. No running lights and fuel gauge quit at the same time. Bike only has 3 fuses so I figure something must be done by computer? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you figure out the problem? My 2015 softail slim is doing the same thing. No running lights and fuel gauge quit at the same time. Bike only has 3 fuses so I figure something must be done by computer? Thanks
I have same issue on my 2011 Fatboy. Red light came on then went off and guy in car behind pulled around to inform me that tail light just went out. Checked everything and replaced bulb but still same issue. I have appt at dealer next week for general service and now this. Will update with their findings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts