V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago installed SE204 and Fueling Oil Pump (streached stock spring as per instructions.) Fired up with plenty of oil pressure, and went for a long ride, no problems, every thing fine. Next weekend started bike and no oil pressure. Took bike to Harley mechanic who disassembled and checked every thing including cleaning and checking oil pan (A motor). Put it back together and had plenty of oil pressure again. Took it home and ran it that day and the next with no problem. 3 days later no oil pressure again. Took oil hose off leading into cam chest and turned engine over. Lots of air being pumped out of cam chest (no oil). Went around to front and took oil filter off and turned engine over..oil comes out of filter base. Put filter back on, started bike and had pressure again..went for long ride to get new filter, again no problems. At this point, don't know if oil pressure stays up. The mechanic thinks the engine is loosing the prime , possibly due to hair line crack in cam plate. Anybody have similar problem or any ideas. Much thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Sounds like loss of pressure from crack or seal. OR cam plate oil passage is screwed up by the bypass unit spring and plunger (or lack of).

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Check the oil pump o-ring easy to pinch it. I could see the plate having a crack if the pump where not seated and the plate taking the pressure when tightened. HMMM WHere in the instructions does it say to "stretch the spring" as I have installed these pumps and I even have one here that I pulled the sheet on and no where does it tell me to stretch the spring.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I pulled my Fueling pump instruction and step 4 states,
Measure the length of the stock pressure spring. Stretch spring to measure .050" longer than the stock length.
Of course I just installed the Zippers shim since the Baisley spring was not availbel in 2001. I did not strech my spring.
Keep in mind, my pump was one of the first ones with the four peice housings.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to thank those that replied and have closure to the thread. I replaced the cam plate with a new one;and, with the fueling pump, I have lots of oil pressure (45 lbs. at idle). The problem was with the plate or plunger/spring and not with the oil rings/seals. I may have been too rough with it when I did my cam change. thanks for your advice, etc.

Cliff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts