V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from visiting the local dealer to see how the winter meetings went. Only significant news concerns HD dropping the SE Exhaust line as of 5/31/06. Concerns over the EPA and noise issues. Now we have to see how the aftermarket responds to this.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
STACK said:
Just came back from visiting the local dealer to see how the winter meetings went. Only significant news concerns HD dropping the SE Exhaust line as of 5/31/06. Concerns over the EPA and noise issues. Now we have to see how the aftermarket responds to this.
They'll raise their price and increase production!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
cwo2lt said:
They'll raise their price and increase production!
@gree: @gree:

·
Banned
76 Posts
SE mufflers

Why would HD discontinue an off road muffler because of noise and EPA issues? Noise and EPA is never an issue with off road parts. I don't think that is the reason for them to discontinue SE mufflers if indeed they are. Think about it.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
STACK said:
This sounds like another one of those unfounded rumors..

Do you have any idea how much money is in the SE slip on market for HD? I don't, but it has to be a HUGE line item, no way they are giving up that piece of the market. If it is true and I had HD stock, I'd sell NOW!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
The EPA is coming guys and they are going to be armed with a big fat ticket pad. There was a big write up in Iron Horse about it.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
steverxr said:
Why would HD discontinue an off road muffler because of noise and EPA issues? Noise and EPA is never an issue with off road parts. I don't think that is the reason for them to discontinue SE mufflers if indeed they are. Think about it.
Yeah, find a laywer that will offer that defense strategy.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
adlerx said:
This sounds like another one of those unfounded rumors..

Do you have any idea how much money is in the SE slip on market for HD? I don't, but it has to be a HUGE line item, no way they are giving up that piece of the market. If it is true and I had HD stock, I'd sell NOW!!!
I agree. At most, HD will make a stronger distinction between EPA compliant accessories and the SE stuff.

And this is only a problem for the '06 and forward bikes.

And each person gets his once in a lifetime exemption.

And I don't see anybody enforcing these rules.

And ... :D

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
steverxr said:
ahem! the off road industry has been under attack for years. lawn mowers have had to be carb and noise compliant since the early eightys. off road bikes are all moving to four stroke to meet epa. boats will all be four stroke within a few years.
one of the toughest areas to arest noise is in the intake tract.
look at a four stroke weedeater, you will be amazed at the quiet little high revving engines that weigh almost nothing---amazing.

·
Banned
873 Posts
csoday said:
Yeah, find a laywer that will offer that defense strategy.
When are we motorcyclists going to be considered a persecuted minority? Since we make up what single digit percentage of vehicles on the road? Am I right? Hehehe :D

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Where's the EPA going to get the people to enforce any of this at the "grass roots" level?? If they do, anyone with a modified bike (exhaust, air cleaner, etc) that was built in 1979 and later is in the same boat. That's when the first EPA law went into effect.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Ed Y said:
Where's the EPA going to get the people to enforce any of this at the "grass roots" level?? If they do, anyone with a modified bike (exhaust, air cleaner, etc) that was built in 1979 and later is in the same boat. That's when the first EPA law went into effect.
The EPA will only be able to enforce what was enforced at the factory level. If your bike shipped with a catalytic you will have to have a catalytic convertor on it. Otherwise it will be an unenforceable law. Also, those bikes that shipped with a catalytic, get ready as you will be taking that bike into inspection centers soon probably if you do that in your state.

I will keep my 2003 and earlier made bikes and grin from ear to ear. I am not dealing with the newer bikes and the stupid law.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Like Ed said, Since 1979 it has been illegal to modify any pollution control device. Back in the day, it was very easy to be ticketed for excessive noise and removing baffels. The laws have always been there but enforcement has varried from town to town and state to state. The EPA can enforce at the local level. For years in Baton Rouge, we were in a zone that due to local air quality levels, motor vehicle inspection stickers required litmus paper testing of exhaust systems. If the EPA want's testing at local levels, they have and will get it.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I got the same info.

steverxr said:
I was at my dealer yesterday to buy a set of SE pipes and they told me the same thing.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Yes there have been EPA laws for years, but I see it getting stricter with cats. Big deal to remove them from you car.

As far as off road use, everybody knows that very few of these products make the track.

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
Which SE pipes are you talking about (being eliminated)?

For example; there's the SE street legal touring pipes and there's also the off-road (i.e. SE II) pro-pipes. One is available from the accessories catalog and the other from the racing catalog. There's a big difference.

·
C'ya on the road
146 Posts
steverxr said:
I respectfully disagree. Noise pollution from "orv' user's has been under attack for some time. Even racers have restrictions.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts