V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
In disguise
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the local dealer told me that HD is no longer making oil filters for Evos (part number 63796-77A). He claims that the Twin Cam filter (part number 63798-99A) has been redesigned somehow to accommodate both the Evo and Twin Cam motors. Has anybody else been told this?

I'm sure most folks are familiar with the debate. Evo filter-30 micron, softer bypass spring for lower oil pressure pump; TC filter-10 micron, stiffer bypass spring for higher oil pressure pump. I've been told by Harley gurus NOT to use a TC filter on my Evo because Evo's don't run enough oil pressure to keep the bypass valve open (or some say that an Evo oil pump won't push oil through the finer 10 micron filter media), resulting in no oil filtration at all.

Is this more HD or dealer BS or is there any truth to it? The part number discontinuance and substitution I mean.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
FXR2 said:
.......local dealer told me that HD is no longer making oil filters for Evos (part number 63796-77A). He claims that the Twin Cam filter (part number 63798-99A) has been redesigned somehow to accommodate both the Evo and Twin Cam motors. Has anybody else been told this?......
Just talked to my parts guy and he's not heard anything like that. Matter of fact he further stated the same things you did about the spring pressure and the filtration sizes.

Also checked out the HD website and it's still a serviceable number there. ???? Your dealer might be handing out BS for Christmas gifts this year.

Don't really have to worry about it for a couple years, just picked up a case of TC's and a case Evo's at 30% off.

o~\o

·
Registered
487 Posts
the big problem is restriction in the oil return on with a 10 micron filter restriction will cause oil carry over in a evo befor it blows the bypass spring the evo & shovels filter on the return side on the way back to the tank the TC filters on the feed side of the engine where pressure is not a issue thus building Enough pressure with the return oil with foamed or airrated oil it cavatates the return gears those loads the bottom end and then carry over running a oil cooler not bypassed in cold weather will cause the same problem

·
In disguise
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went back to the same dealer today to "discuss" this Evo filter thing some more (I need an oil filter, dangit). They showed me that the TC filter is now part number 63798-99A, and that it now filters down to 5 microns. The new, suffix "A" filter also has larger holes in the top around the threaded center hole. Showing me an older, original TC filter, they pointed out that the holes in it are smaller, with the exception of one larger hole. According to them, the all-larger in the new model filter holes now allow for sufficient flow to accommodate an Evo as well as satisfy the current TC. They insist that HD sent out a TSB to the dealers and are not supplying the Evo part number filters (63796-77A) anymore. That there are bound to be some dealers that still have some but that once they were gone, there would be no more.

A Tech from the shop walked by the parts counter while we were talking about this and they called him over and he agreed that he had seen the new filter and knew about the Tech Bulletin. He insisted that he was using the new filter on his 1991 Evo and had no fear or problems with it.

So, has anybody else heard about the 63798-99A at 5 microns superseding the 63798-99 at 10 microns? And if so, have you been told that the "A" filter has been redesigned to work on Evos as well as TC's?

Hey Doc (hdmd88), are you out there? Somebody tell him to read this and comment.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Just found this:

Chrome. Fits all '99-later Twin Cam and Evolution® 1340-equipped models and available as an upgrade for any motorcycle currently using P/N 63796-77A or 63805-80A. Made in the U.S.A.

Product ID: 63798-99A

I'm about to do an oil change and picked up the oil filter last week... just looked and it is the new 5 micron version with the "A". Hadn't noticed the change until your post.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I'm sure they have tested this. I hope so anyway.

·
In disguise
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this is an old post, but here's an update:

Yesterday, I went into a local independent shop just to look around, and on the oil and filter rack there were about ten, Genuine HD Evo oil filters (63796-77a) in boxes. Ther were also HD Twin Cam filters and aftermarket ones from Drag Specialties and K&N. I told the shop owner about what I had been told back in November at the local dealer about HD discontinuing Evo filters. He told me he didn't know anything about that but coincidentally, that very dealer is where these filters came from--he regularly buys HD parts from them for his shop and he had just been there to pick up these very same ones.

I thanked him for the information and bought three of his filters.

So--I guess the moral of the story is that my dealer is handing out BS just to get people to buy stuff, never mind that it's not the right part. Last time I do business with them.

Simply amazing how Harley dealers treat their customers.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
If this were true, it would create difficulty for us Evo Dyna owners which require the extra long filter. There's always K&N.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Otto said:
the big problem is restriction in the oil return on with a 10 micron filter restriction will cause oil carry over in a evo befor it blows the bypass spring the evo & shovels filter on the return side on the way back to the tank the TC filters on the feed side of the engine where pressure is not a issue thus building Enough pressure with the return oil with foamed or airrated oil it cavatates the return gears those loads the bottom end and then carry over running a oil cooler not bypassed in cold weather will cause the same problem
There is the explanation, old engines have problems in the oil return, any restriction will cause oil to blow out the breather.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Farrow's in Columbus Ohio still stocks the 63805-80A for EVO owners. :D

614-228-6353

I put a TC filter on an 1988 Electra Glide I was working on and it puked oil out the crankcase breather. Put the 63805-80A and it stopped. Pressure relief valve is stronger in the TC filter.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Mr.Clean said:

614-228-6353

I put a TC filter on an 1988 Electra Glide I was working on and it puked oil out the crankcase breather. Put the 63805-80A and it stopped. Pressure relief valve is stronger in the TC filter.

I may be mistaken, But I believe K&N filters maintain the stock oil filters specs. Thats what they claim anyway. I have used them with no trouble and the bonus is they come with a hex nut on the end for easy removal!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Mr.Clean said:

614-228-6353

I may be mistaken, But I believe K&N filters maintain the stock oil filters specs. Thats what they claim anyway. I have used them with no trouble and the bonus is they come with a hex nut on the end for easy removal! Harley is getting more and more away from parts for anything earlier then the current engine model. EVO stock parts are fading away quick. More and more obsolete! Aftermarket is all I can say.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The oil pump on twincams is a gearotor"gear in a gear" and can develop alot more pressure than the spur gear pumps on old engines.
A 10micron filter is a hydraulic grade filter that would be hard to push 20-50wt oil through on the old engines.
On evos, the aftermarket filters work fine and the longer ones would be better if they fit, as the more surface area of the element would reduce restriction.
As metioned before Wix makes quality filters, just paint them black.
The old XLCH Sportster didnt use a filter at all because a filter would back oil into the engine and cause drag.
I think its good to use an oil filter, the least restrictive on older engines.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
These Oil Filters
have 3/4" x 16tpi threads,
8 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.
Available filters include
Purolator PL10241 / PL20064
Mobil1 M1-102
Bosch 3330
AMSOil SMF 133/134/135
Baldwin B1413
Fram PH6022, PH6065A
Hastings LF576
NAPA 1348
Purolator ML16822
WIX 51348
The Bosch is a 30 micron. Im not sure about the rest but you can check them out.

·
Banned
871 Posts
FXR2 said:
Today the local dealer told me that HD is no longer making oil filters for Evos (part number 63796-77A). He claims that the Twin Cam filter (part number 63798-99A) has been redesigned somehow to accommodate both the Evo and Twin Cam motors. Has anybody else been told this?

I'm sure most folks are familiar with the debate. Evo filter-30 micron, softer bypass spring for lower oil pressure pump; TC filter-10 micron, stiffer bypass spring for higher oil pressure pump. I've been told by Harley gurus NOT to use a TC filter on my Evo because Evo's don't run enough oil pressure to keep the bypass valve open (or some say that an Evo oil pump won't push oil through the finer 10 micron filter media), resulting in no oil filtration at all.

Is this more HD or dealer BS or is there any truth to it? The part number discontinuance and substitution I mean.
Ya gotta be kidding me?!?! Our stealership still carries them, although I don't buy them there. I prefer to go aftermarket and get K&N filters. They are MUCH better than the MoCo's filters! The K&N also has a hex wrenching nub on the end to make removal simple. They cost the same or less than the H-D ones.

·
In disguise
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ToddM said:
Ya gotta be kidding me?!?! Our stealership still carries them, although I don't buy them there. <snip>
Back up to my post (number 8) for the rest of the story. Bottom line: I found the HD Evo filters in stock at a local indy shop...who gets them from the same Stealer up the road who told me they've been discontinued. I guess they won't BS the indy shop owner like they will a customer/bike owner.

I'll say it again. It's simply amazing how HD dealers abuse their own customers.

·
Banned
871 Posts
FXR2 said:
Back up to my post (number 8) for the rest of the story. Bottom line: I found the HD Evo filters in stock at a local indy shop...who gets them from the same Stealer up the road who told me they've been discontinued. I guess they won't BS the indy shop owner like they will a customer/bike owner.

I'll say it again. It's simply amazing how HD dealers abuse their own customers.
Yeah... sounds like they are just trying to get you to trade up to a newer bike. More money for them! Screw 'em! Take your business elsewhere. :yes: I don't go to the dealership for anything unless I absolutely have to, which isn't very often. They make enough off of the bikes themselves. Then they try to rip you off with overpriced, imported add-ons and clothing that just happens to have the MoCo logo on them. They ain't getting my money for that crap! If I ever bought a new bike... I'd let them do the servicing and warranty work, and only if it's at no cost to me. Other than that, I wouldn't even drop in for a visit. The aftermarket companies have better products for less money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Evo vs Twin-Cam Oil Routing

Something to keep in mind, along with info provided in the other posts, is that on Big Twin Evolution motors oil is gravity fed from the oil bag (or pulled up from the oil tank on Dynas) and pumped through the engine (you should also know that top-end & bottom-end oiling is RPM dependent). THEN the scavenged oil is pumped through the filter and returned to the oil tank. In other words, oil from the tank goes to the engine first and is filtered before it is returned to the oil bag.
Merry Christmas!
Jim

1 - 20 of 58 Posts