V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just got the bike Friday night, and I'm lovin' it. Rode down to Charlotte, NC from DC over the weekend; already have over 860 miles on it. But there's no helmet lock on it, which I used a lot on my last bike. Checked the Harley catalog and I didn't see helmet locks in the catalog. Do they sell them? I will give my dealer a call, but are there better places to get a helmet lock? Don't know why these aren't standard. bb

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You must have bought this used. If new dealer would have forced to sign agreement not wear a helmet. JK.

Look in Dennis Kirk they might have something. Do you have expensive helmet? I never lock mine. But if you live DC, with high crime might want to.

Scuff it up a bit, with impacting in on anything. So no one will want it.

Nothing else get a cable and lock. Out in DC you should have no problem find a cable gun lock. They probably pass them out on the streets.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
bohemianbiker said:
So, just got the bike Friday night, and I'm lovin' it. Rode down to Charlotte, NC from DC over the weekend; already have over 860 miles on it. But there's no helmet lock on it, which I used a lot on my last bike. Checked the Harley catalog and I didn't see helmet locks in the catalog. Do they sell them? I will give my dealer a call, but are there better places to get a helmet lock? Don't know why these aren't standard. bb
What's a helmet?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have been to St. Loius. Rode a bit into it before pulling over to put helmets on. Pulled into gas station south of arch. Went down one street everythign was abdanoned and closed up, did U turn and went the other way.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
berserker said:
I have been to St. Loius. Rode a bit into it before pulling over to put helmets on. Pulled into gas station south of arch. Went down one street everythign was abdanoned and closed up, did U turn and went the other way.
Sounds like your tour gave you extensive knowledge of the area. . . .:whatever:

We do have a distinct advantage, it took the illegals a long time to find us here.

Lefty

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
I have a 2005 Sportster. I have looked for a helmet lock that installs to the bike. Lord its a big deal. HD doesnt sell one that ifts a 2005. Most offerings are bullsh1t. The only lock I see that might be OK is a Bar Ender and that devil extends your handle bar. Kind of akward but maybe not. Its only about $65 delivered. http://www.barender.com/media.htm

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've been riding for a lot of years and never heard of anyone getting their helmet stolen. I just leave my helmet on the seat or hanging from the highway peg. I'm sure they get stolen but the odds are very small. Just ride and don't worry about it.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I've been riding for a lot of years and never heard of anyone getting their helmet stolen. I just leave my helmet on the seat or hanging from the highway peg. I'm sure they get stolen but the odds are very small. Just ride and don't worry about it.

Ill bet you dont live in Baltimore, a "chocolate" city. Hey, if Ray Negan can say it so can I!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Who would wan't to steal a helmet after it's been on someones greasy,sweaty head?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Have an H-D helmet lock on the Ultra. With the sportster I have a 'Samsonite luggage cable'. 4'-0" of cable, spring returned, coiled into a combo lock about as big as the palm of your hand. I can pass it thru an arm of my leather, lock my quick release windshield, and helmet with it. Fits in my leather jacket pocket.
Crack-heads and "Tweakers" (meth users) will steal anything.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
Have an H-D helmet lock on the Ultra. With the sportster I have a 'Samsonite luggage cable'. 4'-0" of cable, spring returned, coiled into a combo lock about as big as the palm of your hand. I can pass it thru an arm of my leather, lock my quick release windshield, and helmet with it. Fits in my leather jacket pocket.
Crack-heads and "Tweakers" (meth users) will steal anything.
I use the orange disc lock "reminder" cable that HD sells to do exactly the same thing.
Works great.

Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Check out Aerostitch, they sell the Bar-Enders helmet locks, they look good too, alot better lock than the crappy one HD sells and certainly better than a cable lock. I can post pictures if you would want to see what they look like installed.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
sthorp said:
Check out Aerostitch, they sell the Bar-Enders helmet locks, they look good too, alot better lock than the crappy one HD sells and certainly better than a cable lock. I can post pictures if you would want to see what they look like installed.
At $70 a pop they certainly should be better than the 'crappy' ones that Harley sells. You must really like your helmet.....And I don't think I could thread a sleeve of my leather onto it , let alone my quick detach windshield.....And the cable lock isn't visible on the bike....It's in my pocket..

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
At $70 a pop they certainly should be better than the 'crappy' ones that Harley sells. You must really like your helmet.....And I don't think I could thread a sleeve of my leather onto it , let alone my quick detach windshield.....And the cable lock isn't visible on the bike....It's in my pocket..
The original post was about a helmet lock, it was not about locking up a jacket and windshield too. The add-on helmet locks usually clamp onto a downtube which has to be low on the frame because of the tube diameter and therefore a poor location and inconvenient to use, plus they look cheap, the Bar-Enders are on the end of your handlebars so it does'nt get any more convenient that that and they are of top drawer quality and they look good, yeah they are more expensive, so what, you bought a 20k bike and you want to cheap out on the lock?

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I went to the hardware store and bought a three foot length of plastic coated 1/8" cable. Got two cable ends and a cheap mini-padlock. Can use it to lock up helmets, T-Bags and jackets... or curl it up and store it in a pocket. Works great and total cost was like $8.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
i got a RUGER cable lock (looks like it would go thru a shotgun receiver and block operatoin) left over from a gun store, $7, and a pretty good deterrent?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sthorp said:
Thanks, pictures would be great.

And thanks for all the responses. I live in DC. Let me assure you, a helmet will be stolen unless locked down. Guaranfreakin'teed. bb

1 - 20 of 46 Posts