V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the bug though. I've had 3 Honda's and a Yamaha. Sold the last one in 1985 just I before I went to Korea for Uncle Sam.
Last weekend I went to my 25th class reunion and got talking to old classmate's. One gal has a new 100th anv. on order. Just ain't fair. Another buddy came out to my folks Sunday morning and let me take his Lower Rider for a ride. First time on a bike since 1987 (?). Don't even have a lisience anymore. Don't have the cash yet but I'm doing my research.
Think I want a Dyna or a Softtail????????????? Just have to find the cash then a good bike for a decent price.

Steve

·
Registered
903 Posts
Oh yeah, you've got the bug! Welcome to the forum and I'm sure you'll find some great information here. :)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome, stevep!:D Lots of good people here.

IMHO, one of the best things you can do for yourself and your family is to take the msf training class. I suggest that everyone start with the "beginners" class. Bikes have changed a lot in the last 2 decades. And it's very normal for anyone's riding skills to have gotten rusty with lack of use. The msf class will increase the chance that you'll be here at the H/D Forum for a long time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rusty

RUSTY!

Hell, one thing I know is that I'm rusty. Just about ...., Oh well . All ready been checking out the state motorcycle riders program.

That Lower Rider was the hardest (and sweetest) thing I ever drove! But that just drove the nail deeper. It was the first time ever I navigated a Harley. First time I can remember being on a Harley I was maybe 14-15 (1972 or so) I jump on the back without a helmet. Lonny told me "If we see a cop hold on". Remember just like it was yesterday. I think that just about sealed it, 'ya think????

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Welcome stevep, I almost missed you coming in. Glad to have you here with us. Post often and make yourself at home.

Later

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
stevep,

Welcome to the board. The bug you got is a good one. Take the msf, you cannot go wrong there. Keep posting.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
695 Posts
cash

Stevep,
If you're still active duty you might want to consider joining a Federal Credit Union (if you're not a member already). If your credit is good you'll be able to get a loan with a great interest rate. Then again Harley will finance a new bike for you too. Now comes the cash part -- like we all know it depends on how much you can spare for monthly payments. Good luck and thanks for your service to our country.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If there is a will there is a way. Welcome aboard Steve.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would also like to echo what has been already said take the beginners riders course, it a great education in getting back into bikes, and not only that most insurance companies give a discount (mine gives 10%) for taking the course. In addition, in a lot of the states - once you have completed the course the state does not require you to take a test, just show that you completed the course.

As for which HD is for you, you could always rent one for a few days to see if you like a particular model. Most Dealers now have rentals available within the Dealerships. I rented both a Night train and a Dyna Wide Glide, to see which one I liked. I know I ended up with the V-Rod but that was also due to the write-ups I read and how the V-Rod compared to the Softail and Dyna, which I was familiar with from riding them.

Best of luck,

Dave

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard,stevep!

We all know about that bug! Sometimes the good things in life take a little while.Meanwhile,hang out,ask questions,enjoy the forum!!

Keep the dream alive & good luck.
guido

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Renting before you buy is the way to go. I rented a fatboy, Wide glide, and a standard softtail before buying the Wide glide. Fortunately the dealer here in Vegas is huge and they have every model ( actually several of each model ) from the Ultra to the V rod for rent. Raises the comfort level before making the commitment for the big bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts