V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little help. Am working on an 02 "b" motor efi system. No spark when cranking. Checked the crank position sensor, appears ok. Will sometimes spark as soon as you let go of the start button. Coil ohms out good. tried another coil just in case, same results. Help.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I don't know how you'd test a crank position sensor but can tell you that when mine went out 70 miles from home I wasn't going anywhere. Same symptoms as you describe. My dealer nailed it in about 30 minutes. Trouble code 41 on my 99 FLHRCI. I've got the A motor and don't know if there's a diff. I do most of my wrenching myself but when it comes to troubleshooting the electronics I leave it to my dealer. At 86,000 miles thats the only time my bike has ever left me stranded.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Ignition switch...coil hot when on???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no fire

tested the crank position sensor, getting 4 vac while turning the engine over.
Getting power to the coil while the fuel pump relay is engaged.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Hdparts said:
Looking for a little help. Am working on an 02 "b" motor efi system. No spark when cranking. Checked the crank position sensor, appears ok. Will sometimes spark as soon as you let go of the start button. Coil ohms out good. tried another coil just in case, same results. Help.
FYI that system will not throw spark if you are cranking it with the plugs out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You mention that you get spark as soon as you let off the starter button, this might indicate that the ignition module voltage drops below the required potential needed by the module to operate. I think the minimum ignition module voltage required is something like no less than 9 volts. If that’s the case your battery might not be up to snuff or some other marginal electrical connection is hampering the ignition module. If you can roll start your engine without use of the starter that would be another clue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts