V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem and need some help. I lost fire to my front cylinder, the back one fires OK. I'm running a Crane Hi4 ignition system (the model that mounts inside the timing cover). This is what I've done so far.
Checked the battery...it's good
Checked for power at the coil....got 12 volts to all three studs
Replaced plugs and wires
Replaced coil

After the checks and replacing of parts, the engine still doesn't want to fire the front jug. I pulled the plug and held it up against the cylinder and no fire.

I've got power to the coil but I believe the ignition is sending the signal to the back jug but not the front, not for sure but everything else seems to check out.

I wanted to check with everyone to see if anyone has any advice for me.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
You need to make sure the the ignition is "sending the signal" to the coil. First switch the coil signal wires and see if the problem follows the wire. If you find the other cylinder now doesn't fire then the ignition is suspect. You could have a bad wire also. Inspect the wire for damage, like melted against the exhaust or cut at the bottom of the cam cover. If there is no damage you probably have a bad ignition module.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

It was a bad ignition module. I swapped out modules and it fired right up, but at low RPM the front cylinder doesn't seem to put out alot of power unless it richen up the carb a bit.

·
Banned
871 Posts
Max63 said:
It was a bad ignition module. I swapped out modules and it fired right up, but at low RPM the front cylinder doesn't seem to put out alot of power unless it richen up the carb a bit.
Yeah, the Crane Hi4 is known to do that when it gets hot. Crane is aware of the problem. Now that you changed it, check for intake leaks, then put it on a dyno to get it tuned correctly. A Harley will run better if the front jug is getting the proper mixture, even if the rear isn't. But if the front one isn't right, it'll run like crap. I've actually ridden several miles when a spark plug failed. It was in the front cylinder, so the bike wouldn't even start. I switched the good plug to the front and it started and I was able to limp home with it.

Check those two things any you shouldn't have any more problems. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts