V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an 08 FLHTC.... I am considering to do a little bit of work to it to increase the overall performance and running characteristics of the pipe.... On the advice of my tuner, I have added a hi flo air system, SE performance slipons, and purchased a SERT.... in the near future it will go on the dyno. I have also considered changing the cams.... I did this on my EVO springer and the gains were incredible, night and day (EV27)... but while talking to my parts place I questioned it and was told that on a TC96" the gains wouldn't be very noticeable without doing headwork.... Is this the case? I don't think I want to get that extensive, was just considering cams because of the difference I noticed on my springer... So I guess my question is this - Is it worth doing cams on a 96" equipped with stage 1 if that is all you plan on doing? Of course after cam install the bike would be retuned, but would the difference be substantial, or little as the dealer indicated? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not sure why your dealer would make a statement like that. With the proper cam selection for the RPM band you want power and a proper tune, there will be a noticeable gain. Just don't try to use a big cam with your stock compression.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you do the work yourself it's worth it. If you pay someone to do it you'll be disappointed. I put 255's in my Heritage. Did it for under 300 bucks so it was worth the risk. I already had the TTS so didn't need to pay for a tune. If you buy new cams, pay the labor and then the tuner software and dyno time...you might not be impressed with the overall gain versus the cash outlay. If it was me I would look at changing the gearing a tad. I think there's more bang for the buck lowering the gearing a little. That was my original plan but I picked the parts cheap and figured what the heck. If you go cams and dont get exactly what you like (riding style) and/or you get a crappy tune your bike could run worse. With a gear change you really can't go wrong as there's not much guesswork going on. This is just my opinion, but with the tall gears it's gonna take more than cams to get it to move quickly.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
:dh:
If you do the work yourself it's worth it. If you pay someone to do it you'll be disappointed. I put 255's in my Heritage. Did it for under 300 bucks so it was worth the risk. I already had the TTS so didn't need to pay for a tune. If you buy new cams, pay the labor and then the tuner software and dyno time...you might not be impressed with the overall gain versus the cash outlay. If it was me I would look at changing the gearing a tad. I think there's more bang for the buck lowering the gearing a little. That was my original plan but I picked the parts cheap and figured what the heck. If you go cams and dont get exactly what you like (riding style) and/or you get a crappy tune your bike could run worse. With a gear change you really can't go wrong as there's not much guesswork going on. This is just my opinion, but with the tall gears it's gonna take more than cams to get it to move quickly.
You confused me on the end there. I was thinking you were encouraging lower gear's not higher gear's. ?? :confused:
96fxsts cam's will make a 20% difference across the board on your year of fuel injected bike. I am basing that on the jist of it from reading a **** load of cam topics and tuner's on the forum.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The mods in my sig yielded a 22% hp increase and a 13% tq increase over stock.

I would say 90% of the increase was due to cams/TTS tune.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
To me the gains were awesome. I am very pleased the way my bike runs. 204 cams with stock heads.
For some reason it won't let me repost my dyno sheet. It's in the dyno section where Durwood was talking about it in a 103.
90hp and 102tq. Stock Heads.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
My 2010 Street Glide is a stage II with SE 255 cams and it went from 68 hp and 84 tq stock to 92 hp and 106 tq without any head work. The air cleaner, exhaust, and tuner will all play into adding the cams and you should see an improvement if the tuner knows anything about tuning the bike.

·
Registered
137 Posts
:dh:
You confused me on the end there. I was thinking you were encouraging lower gear's not higher gear's. ?? :confused:
96fxsts cam's will make a 20% difference across the board on your year of fuel injected bike. I am basing that on the jist of it from reading a **** load of cam topics and tuner's on the forum.
Motorh...I was encouraging lower gears, especially on an 08. I know my 07 is a dog with the tall gearing. That's why I plan to swap the front pulley.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I completed a swap of my cam's last weekend, i went from stock to 48H's from Andrews. I'm running V&H True Dual pipes with the quiet baffles, and a SE Air Filter. I replaced the lifters with comp lifters as well while I was in there.

my bike is an 07 FLHTC with the 96 on it.

When I did my cams I totally took my time, when i took the cams open I made sure to insure that the cam dots were lined up on the factory cams then i pulled everything a part carefully. With everything out, i did everything in reverse. Now my brain is telling me i might have done something wrong with the cam timing, but i do recall specifically looking at what the cams looked like with the dots together, and plus 1 chain link up / 1 chain link down. Clearly that would be noticeable.

I was working to dial it in today, and contacted the guys at TTS about "dialing in the camtune". I got Steve's email address there, and he saw my first chart and he noticed something wrong. We started to look at a few things in there, we focused on the SE push rod's thinking they might be keeping the valves open or something, but they weren't. We backed out the rods to ZERO lash, let them rest for 30 mins per pair then adjusted to zero lash plus 1 flat and locked em down. Yes they are noisy as hell, but for testing things out this works for now.

I got out the cylinder pressure tester, the front cyl reads 155 while the back reads 145 or so. The variance is nominal, but according to my reads I should be in the 170's, some sites even list 180's.

So that said, does anyone have an idea what could be wrong here? Prior to the cam change the bike ran flawlessly, I had done a TTS tune on it and it was awesome! With the new cams, the diff is marginal at best as far as I'm concerned, perhaps I was expecting too much from the cam?

Below are images from TTS and from the IVO chart from the Master Tune.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts