V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never been a chap type of person and I was wondering if they make some jeans that have armor in them something to protect you from the elements. Anybody know of anything?

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
I'm not enthused about chaps either. I bought the Icon version of the draggin jeans. They are so hot to wear that they are relegated to winter only riding.

There are some pretty decent mesh overpants on the market. Tourmaster makes a pair that I like. You just pull them on over a pair of shorts and they provide knee and hip protection. They don't make you look like you're on Star Trek either.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I use draggin jeans classic pants and they are a little bit hotter than jeans. And it looks good too

·
Registered
66 Posts
i go over to the farm & fleet or gander mountain and get fleece lined jeans works for me until the snow flys......

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try your rainpants

Putting on your rainpants does a great job at eliminating the air infiltration through denium. I have ridden 800 mile days in cold clear weather with Tourmaster rain pants and did just fine. They look a little dorkey but fux em if they don't like it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
leather pants, are comfortable even in warm weather, except in heavy stop and go traffic:thumbsdn:
Then when you reach destination(if traveling), you can put on jeans from your pack and be "clean" and comfortable:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
jawrider said:
leather pants, are comfortable even in warm weather, except in heavy stop and go traffic:thumbsdn:
Then when you reach destination(if traveling), you can put on jeans from your pack and be "clean" and comfortable:thumbsup:
That's actually the way I feel about chaps too. Even in hot weather I find that I don't feel the heat off the rear cylinder/pipe as bad if I am wearing my chaps. That is also true of my wife when she is behind me. The hot air off the rear cylinder goes up the front of her right leg and the back of my right hip. When she isn't wearing her chaps, her leg gets pretty hot because it is taking the brunt of the hot blast. Chaps are actually cooler for her.

·
Registered
127 Posts
bigbluff said:
That's actually the way I feel about chaps too. Even in hot weather I find that I don't feel the heat off the rear cylinder/pipe as bad if I am wearing my chaps. That is also true of my wife when she is behind me. The hot air off the rear cylinder goes up the front of her right leg and the back of my right hip. When she isn't wearing her chaps, her leg gets pretty hot because it is taking the brunt of the hot blast. Chaps are actually cooler for her.
But youhave to say women look good in chaps... :wootdnc:

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
jmcampo said:
But youhave to say women look good in chaps... :wootdnc:
Yeah, she looks really good in chaps. Me, on the other hand...

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
What is the purpose of the question? Do you plan on falling down,and need armour? Or is protectin from the wind a concern?

Lower fairings make a big difference. Course you need a ride with crash bars to mount them to. I just got a pair of HoggChopps.com lwer fairings. Was skeptical when I first saw them, but they grewon me even faster than the Road Glide.

If your question concerned the former.....
Don't fall down!!

P.S.
I look great in chaps:spank:

·
Free agent
795 Posts
I went to Bill Jackson's sporting goods store here in pinellas county and bought a pair of underwear like under garments that are thinner than t-shirt material and that don't cling to you like spandex or the brand name (body armour). They are used for skiers or outdoor winter activities. They fit loosely and I'll tell you what...they are not quite as warm as chaps, but they sure keep you warm down to 40-45 degrees outside temp. They make full coverage wear. There is even a place for willy to come out and do his business. They are incredibly warm. I've ridden with guys that are amazed that I'm not wearing a jacket and they are freezin' their butts off. It's my secret!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
sthorp said:
Check out Aerostitch
Agree. I use the Aerostich Darien light pants. They zipper over whatever you are wearing. They have ballistic kneepads if you want (velcro removal if you don't). They are waterproof, warm. and you can take them off and not be wearing uncomfortable bulky pants when you arrive at your destination.

They also pack small and take the place of chaps and rain gear. It is a win win win!!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I ride with Draggin Jeans year round in the PA area, also have padding in knees. They are a little hotter in summer than regular jeans but not uncomfortable. I use chaps in winter for the cold days. Know what you mean when you say "Not the chap kinda guy". I felt the same way until I figured out it was the blue jeans under black chap look that really bothered me. I wear BLACK jeans under chaps.

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Leather overpants

SpeedCostsMoney said:
I never been a chap type of person and I was wondering if they make some jeans that have armor in them something to protect you from the elements. Anybody know of anything?
Here;s my solution: Powertrip leather overpants. You can wear them over jeans or long thermals in the winter for warmth, and in the summer you can wear them over skivvies and they never get hot. When you take them off you can roll them up and put them in a saddlebag (if you have one).

I have a pair of Draggin' Jeans, but sitting on that kevlar in the seat on a hot summer day is about as comfortable as sitting on sandpaper. They're okay in cooler weather, but won't give as much all-around protection in a slide as leather.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts