1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on another site, I'll hold my comments:

NJ Looks to Cancel Motorcycle Fest

Tue Apr 30,10:13 AM ET
OLD BRIDGE, N.J. (AP) - Officials are trying to cancel a motorcycle festival planned for this summer, citing concerns about violence and excessive noise after a weekend shootout at a Nevada gathering of motorcycle groups.

More than 150,000 people were expected to attend Harley-Davidson's "Open Road Tour" show, planned for Aug. 16-18 at Raceway Park.

Old Bridge officials said Monday that they will ask the speedway's owners to withdraw their permit application or they will rescind it, a decision that came after a weekend shoot-out between motorcycle gangs left three men dead in Laughlin, Nev.

"If Harley doesn't like (our decision), well, the safety of our residents comes first," Councilman Lawrence Redmond said. "Raceway Park is a family venue. God forbid some family got in the middle of some gunfire."

Mike Morgan, a spokesman for Harley-Davidson, and Ken Landerman, manager of Raceway Park, both declined to comment. "We're in the position of weighing different options at this point and we have no details" on the town's decision, Morgan said.

Harley-Davidson has billed the festival as a family event, and Old Bridge police have said the show would most likely be peaceful. Mayor Barbara Cannon, though, said she felt "we're putting (the police) in harm's way. It's become a public safety issue."

Last month, a federal judge allowed Asbury Park to cancel a similar show after a deadly brawl broke out at a Hells Angels convention in Plainview, N.Y., in February. The fight between the Hells Angels and the Pagans motorcycle gangs left one man dead and 10 injured.

·
Registered
6 Posts
NJ OTR Tour

Hello, I work at the Naval Air Warfare Center in Lakehurst NJ (where the Hindenburg crashed), been hearing rumours, and it was announced today that HD has applied for a permit to hold the event on our base!!!
It would be awesome to have it here, but I don't want to get any hopes up...I've heard that it would be a security nightmare, and with our already hieghted secuity on the base would not likely happen. DAMN!!!!
I will keep everyone posted as soon as I hear anymore info!

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
A military installation allowing 70K plus bikers and civilians to enter? It will be a cold day in hell when that happens!

But, If it does get approved, who is going to let everyone know about DOD safety policies when riding on a military installation?

1) Long sleeves

2) Closed finger gloves

3) Helmet

4) Over the ankle boots

5) Reflective clothing during hours of limited visibility.

Thats going to eliminate over 90% of the biker attendees!

This will be interesting....Keep us posted

·
Registered
111 Posts
They already allow and annual motorcycle / car show on the base now. And they run a MSF course there every weekend. They do not enforce the reflective vest rule. At least no one has every asked me to put one on.

Also, they are set up for large events. Last year they had a fantastic air show on the base. I would guess approx. 100,000 + people attended.

·
Registered
903 Posts
How credible is this article? I live in New Jersey and I know the local newspaper ran this story but it also occasionaly "stretches" the truth for a good story.:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, Latest update I have is that the CO of the base has approved it, The Navy has approved it, and the State has approved it...We are just waiting for the Locals to approve it! I still would not get my hopes up...Lots of seniors in the area will not want it i'm sure! Lets hope for the best! I'll post here as soon as I know more!!!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I hope an open road event can occur somewhere in the East. (No offense Atlanta!) Too bad about the small minded decision of those small town folks. The incident in Laughlin gave them all the ammunition they needed. This is the first time I've heard about a possible replacement site in New Jersey.

I have my tickets for one day of the LA leg of the 100th Anniversary Tour (Sept. 6, 7 & 8). The "LA" leg of the Tour will be held at a NASCAR race track 60 miles outside of LA in Fontana,CA. The entertainment hasn't even been scheduled there yet. But how many times in your lives will you have an opportunity to go to a H/D 100th anniversary event? ;) As the events get closer, the tickets will get harder to get. You may want to get tickets while you can!!!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Last I heard the New Jersey date is off. Lakehurst doesn't want it now either. :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
The article in the Asbury Park Press last weekend stated the problem was with the traffic in the local area. Well, the air show last year brought 100,000 people the first day and close to 200,00 people the second day. The traffic was rough but the police handled it very well. HD only expects 50,000 per day. I think the traffic issue may be a smoke screen.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I guess we're SOL for the New Jersey Open Road Tour. :(

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm hearing rumors of Harley having this thing in Baltimore MD area or Virginia Beach area possibly now.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yep, it's official! Announced June 28th that the Open Road Tour will be in Baltimore MD August 16-18th, 2002. Packing my bags now:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts