V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Foremost Insurance for ten years and my agent sucks (I bought a new bike in Septmember and much to my surprise, my agent has never switched coverage after three requests). I've been debating switching to Rider as they seem to be a pretty good company, but I could always get a new agent from Foremost. Foremost seems to have better roadside assistance, but fortunately I've never had to use it. Pricing is about the same.

Anybody have good or bad experience with both?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Shake -

If your agent isn't doing the job, you need a new one. What's the sense of getting a "deal" from a shady agent if when you need it - the insco declines to pay up because of agent shenanigans?-2$en#e-

·
Chrome is the New Chrome
280 Posts
I've always used Rider. As far as setting up and/or switching coverage they've been great over the years.

No claims though. That's when you really find out how good an insurance co. is.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I've had GMAC insurance through Rider for many years, and I had one claim about 15 years ago. I slid out on sand in my lane on a sharp curve. They covered all of the MC repairs -$250 deductable as well as my riding jacket, gloves, and helmet. When ever I add a MC I just call the 1-800 number and it's done. The rates are very good too. I'm very pleased with them.
Rick

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
You might want to look at Aegis insurance. My agent in Somers Point (exit 30) sells them. They also cover accessories and are cheaper than Foremost. You want, PM me and I'll give you his name and ph. #'s

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have you had any accidents with a car or bike since you've been with Foremost? I was with them until 2 weeks ago. They hit me hard for an accident I had in a cage 2 years ago. I went from $750 a year for my 3 bikes to $1960 a year on my last renewal. I went to State Farm....$702 a year for all 3.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My best deal came from, believe it or not, AAA. I have my other vehicles and home insurance with them which qualified me for a discount. Annual premium for full coverage is $240.

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had no accidents in a car or bike since I've had Foremost. My agent changed insurance companies to Foremost about two years ago, it was Underwriters before that and I think they stopped insuring bikes. Full coverage is about 750 for one bike for either company. Rider is about 200 cheaper for liability, which was ok for my shadow, but not for my springer.

FXDRYDER, you're right, I need a new agent, but I don't want to blame Foremost because the agent sucks. While I was hoping to hear about claim experiences from one of those companies, I am glad to hear that not too many people have had the unfortunate circumstance of being in that situation. The rate jump for DrumScum kinda scares me though.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I got the best rates for my bike from Progressive.com and I don't need an agent.

I do notice some people with extremely low rates and my only thought to that is you must have the most minimum of coverage you can possibly have. I hope you are never in an accident where you caused it and someone sues. You won't like it when they come after your assets to make up for the difference you didn't have in coverage. Just my 2 -2$en#e-.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I have Progressive through James Rogoff Agency, the agent was able to get me a better rate than the company I had (Grange) and he even beat the Progressive quote through HOG. They are out of Sewickley, Pa but don't seem to have any issues working across state lines. If you want a quote you can call them at 800-825-2925 and ask for "Biker Dan".

·
Registered
934 Posts
For the folks answering this question, it's good to hear who you like for insurance. But, we're in New Jersey. Land of the insurance nightmares. I know Progressive doesn't carry insurance in this state for motorcycles. I don't think Geico does either (I just checked, they now do). NJ is insurance hell. We have very few insurance companies to choose from, and even less that aren't going to take the shirt off your back to get insured.
Now, saying that, I have Rider. I had Universal Underwrites until they dropped coverage in the state. I never recieved a carry-over letter to get to Foremost, which I had heard I should have recieved. Anyway, I switched to Rider, and have yet to have a problem insuring a bike. However, I have never and hope to never have to file a claim with them, so I can't attest to their service in that regard.

Thanks for the heads up on Aegis, Geezer, I may check them out.

darrell

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Fatb0y said:
I got the best rates for my bike from Progressive.com and I don't need an agent.

I do notice some people with extremely low rates and my only thought to that is you must have the most minimum of coverage you can possibly have. I hope you are never in an accident where you caused it and someone sues. You won't like it when they come after your assets to make up for the difference you didn't have in coverage. Just my 2 -2$en#e-.
Maybe the deal is just better. I have full coverage, but I do have all my eggs in one basket.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I had Rider for several years. I looked into switching after my truck was hit by a moped that was insured by Rider and they gave me a real hard time with fixing my truck. Looked into Geico after they came into NJ and found their rates a lot better. I really got the run around and some piss poor customer service from Rider trying to get my policy closed and the refund on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My wife is an insurance underwriter in this wonderful state of New Jersey the insurance nightmare capital of the world! I know nothing about insurance and leave my insurance deals to her, the professional. She says foremost has much better coverage limits than rider. The payment is a little higher but you get what you pay for. My wife doesn't believe on scimpping on coverage. I'm not pushing any company here and my wife doesn't make commission on what she writes so just an opinion for anyone who is listening. :clap: :clap:

·
Still alive
546 Posts
I had formost for my last bike and then this time around rider was about 150 less the formost on a smaller less expensive bike. Just renewed and the cost went down about $25 this year.

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I found a new Foremost agent about a 1/4 mile from my house (I don't know if that is good or bad...). I am going to give them a shot, and if they are no good, I'll be switching companies. I also get a renewal discount and do not want to lose it.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Big E said:
My wife is an insurance underwriter in this wonderful state of New Jersey the insurance nightmare capital of the world! I know nothing about insurance and leave my insurance deals to her, the professional. She says foremost has much better coverage limits than rider. The payment is a little higher but you get what you pay for. My wife doesn't believe on scimpping on coverage. I'm not pushing any company here and my wife doesn't make commission on what she writes so just an opinion for anyone who is listening. :clap: :clap:
Excellent advice. Thanks for sharing. ;)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Nobody mentions Farmers. I've used them for years and haven't had any issues with them yet. I believe I'm paying $360 a year for full coverage on my Deluxe.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Rider's been great, as far as premiums go. But I haven't had any claims, and that will be where the rubber meets the road, as they said. (Hope I never have to test them). Anyone ever submitted a claim to Rider?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts