V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Yes, I'm new:D Well I've gone to the "Dark Side" I've always rode crotch rockets and just odered my new ride. I ordered a 03' Night Train Fuel Injected. I'm pretty excited to get it (Janurary) :( Anyone have any pointers for a new guy? Thanks EVERYONE!!! :D

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Check to see if you can rent one at a local Harley dealer so that you can "wring" one out before you get yours...

Otherwise, be prepaired for a long wait ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you please explain a little more to me about your answere? Is there something I should know about this bike? Thanks!!:confused:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! I DON'T plan on wrecking!! :eek: I got out of the crotch rocket thing because I was going to kill myself!!! I CAN'T own another one :confused: This is why I'm going to buy a Harley (Already odered). I want something that holds it's value and looks good just going slow! I think the Night Train is just the bike for the job. I've kind of done things backwards....... I oderer a bike that is all black, then turn around and oder a chrome engine kit :D I can see this isn't going to ever stop??????? Thanks again people!!!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Top said:
Could you please explain a little more to me about your answere? Is there something I should know about this bike? Thanks!!:confused:
Yo Top,

Speaking from experience, folks that order bikes end up going through a pre-harley psychosis, very similar to the DT's (you're anxious, can't concentrate, can't sleep, etc).

If at all possible, you should look at every Harley dealer within driving distance to see if one of them has the bike you want on the floor for sale NOW .

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been there!!! Still doing it!!! I odered one because of buying it for MSRP reasons!!! Around here they want any where from $2,000.00 to $4,000.00 over MSRP it's worth the wait ;) Besides I'm a snowmobiler so I'll be busy gearing up for that. hopefully it will get my mind off of it!!! :D You hit the nail on the head with the DT's!!! I've got EVERY twin motercycle magazine at the end of my chair at home AND I've been odering EVERY catalog that is FREE!!!! :D I'm soooooo glad my wife is understanding;)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Congrats on the bike Top!!! My experience is that once you start customizing the bike you can't stop. If your pockets are deep enough, make your bike look like what ever you want and dont give a sh!t what other people think. Keep the rubber side down!

Dean

·
Registered
154 Posts
I too owned rice-rockets

it was hard to give up the speed, but I don't miss the ergonomics. You just haven't lived until you've skidded down the road at 105mph (full protection means jump up and do it again). I find myself being much more sensible and comfortable on the Harley. At age 40 it was just time to grow up some. My priorities changed and so did my motorcycle.

As far as pointers, just know there will be differences and take your time breaking it in and learning the bike. Lean angles are much less, traction is much lower and the frame is not as stiff. The Harley rules when it comes to sensible riding at quasi-legal speeds. Ricers don't even become fun until about a buck-ten. As previously mentioned it is more comfortable and capable of much longer distances than any of the ricers. Get a windshield.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
TOP, great choice, I love that bike, especially with the chrome engine kit. Just curious, which rockets are you trading up from?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hummmm? The last bike I owned was a 1994 CBR 900 RR. I loved the speed BUT I knew that it isn't for me any more. I feel a sport bike is no fun unless your speeding! Now I want something just to cruise on and look good doing it :D

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
OK
103ci KIT! With CNC ported heads!!! 260 cams!!!! Oh **** its FI. forget I said that.

Chill for a wile time will pass.
Think PIPES for sure.
After 10 miles you will know about how long it will take to get use to.
Personaly I have a great time riding my son's (2001) GSXR-1000 and I dont have to go much over the posted limit to do it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 02 Nighttrain,Hence the screen name,Mine is also injected.(way to go for riding in all altitudes and easy to start just gas and go).The only thing to consider is if you are gonna do any eng. mods better get the Carb Version.The FI model is still very limited for performance.I have friends that have spent big $ to get 107 Hp out of the 88 twin cam B motor.Just some things to consider.You may also want to look at the Dyna Glide custom Same bike and already has the Chrome goodies,You add the drag bars and go.Hope this helps.............And you will be very happy with it ,I cant stay off mine 5000k in 4 months already....

·
Registered
906 Posts
That Night Train is one wild lookin sled! Do you plan on keeping it blacked out or are you gonna chrome it up?

I think you will be very happy with the EFI, I have it on my bike and all I can say is WOW!! Stick with the EFI if you got the cash, it is well worth the money, especially if you are in a cold part of the country. :)

Again congrats on the bike and enjoy...guess I can't say keep the shiny side up, welcome to the Dark Side!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys! I wanted the fuel injected because I don't want to mess with the engine that much. :( As I stated before I'm a snowmobiler that puts a lot of $$$$$$ into the engine. All I would like to do to the bike (Now) is maybe put a Power Comander in it and some pipes. The rest will just be pretty stuff. :D This is what I tell my wife. ;) Everything I've ever owned has NEVER been stock so she just rolls her eyes and tells me "Yea, right" :p It looks like I will be able to get a lot of questions answered here when I do get it. Again, Thanks Everyone for the replies!!! Keep them coming :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I had a factory carb, and wanted a 100+ hp, I believe a new carb would be preferred. So why not enjoy the efi on a stock motor? If you want some serious power, it's all going to be changed anyway. Is this not correct?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Put a harley motor in a busa frame& faring it would do 150. The HP/ air drag ratio is what kills non faired bikes top end speeds.

Cruising at 80 is no probs. Cruising at 90 no probs. Cruising at 100 man thats a lot of wind.
IFE tuning & pipes is no dought the way to go. Stay out of the motor for a long time trouble free ride.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Smokey Rope? What are you talking about? :rolleyes: I'm NOT someone else if that is what you are thinking? Could you please explain to me? Thanks!!:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.