V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am just looking for opinions other than my own and my sales guy. I have been contemplating the Street Bob & the Night Train for too long. I love em both the idea of the black theme and not spending my kids college money on chrome is appealing. After dumping cash into Fat Boys I am done with chrome!

I just don't know which way to go...Love the flat black & the 6 speed on the Dyna but man that 200 on the Train is sweet and rear of the softail is a little more appealing. BUT I hate to think in July HD releases the softails with the 6 speed & the motor ugrades. I know looking ahead is the wrong :spank: thing but I can't help it.

Sales guy says the Dyna whips the softail in the twistys:brows: and he just loves the ruber mounted motor.

Thoughts & opinions bring em on; 70 degrees :banana: today I am missing the party!

·
Ridin it like I stole it!
217 Posts
Jack-Jack said:
So I am just looking for opinions other than my own and my sales guy. I have been contemplating the Street Bob & the Night Train for too long. I love em both the idea of the black theme and not spending my kids college money on chrome is appealing. After dumping cash into Fat Boys I am done with chrome!

I just don't know which way to go...Love the flat black & the 6 speed on the Dyna but man that 200 on the Train is sweet and rear of the softail is a little more appealing. BUT I hate to think in July HD releases the softails with the 6 speed & the motor ugrades. I know looking ahead is the wrong :spank: thing but I can't help it.

Sales guy says the Dyna whips the softail in the twistys:brows: and he just loves the ruber mounted motor.

Thoughts & opinions bring em on; 70 degrees :banana: today I am missing the party!
I had the same dilemma.
I bought a Street Bob.
I have owned every type of Hd (Dyna, Softail, Touring, Sporty)
I would look at each one and compare which one offers you the most components that you want, which means less $$ spent on add ons.
I added a 180 tire to my Bob and its a Metzeler Roadtec, that is fat looking.
the Dyna will vibrate at idle and the Softail will not vibrate at idle but will while riding.
I like the BAD A$$ look of black denim.
remember, the Moco may not do what you hope or want them to do.
eg. 6spd, motor upgrades,etc.

the Bob is 2.5k or so less.

I bought one at MSRP, BLACKED the rest of it out, ran new bars with internal wiring and did major motor work (Stage 4) and I am only into it for 18k.

if I bought the NT I'd be at 20k.

Also, he's right about handling. I can and do beat the Dyna thru the NH mountain twistys and it loves it, IMO it does out manuever a softail.

best of luck in your choice.
bry

·
Registered
548 Posts
I went from a 2002 sporty (1st bike) to a Street Bob about 2 weeks ago, and I love it. It has the power, comfort, manuverability, about the only thing that I say has to be changed on it is the mid controls. Needs forwards. I am just waitin till after I get my thunderheaders to do that, to make sure it all works. I went with the regular black, they didnt have denim black when I got mine, and it wasnt quite a planned thing so I wasnt waiting though. I agree, black is a whole lot cheaper and less maintenance then chrome! Ride on!:chopper:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
street bob v. night train

Don't know where you live, but I think the Street Bob would look awesome with a 300 RSD conversion. We are thinking about picking one up soon for our shop and converting it to resell. Feel free to check out Chubby's Choppers website in Lansing MI. We specialize in HD AFFORDABLE wide tire conversions, and the Street Bob is a relatively affordable bike to begin with. I can't list website address here, but you can find it easily enough through the major search engines or send me an email. Just another thought if you want something really different and cool. Those bikes are great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Everyone has their favorite line of bike. I started out like you trying to decide between a Low Rider and a Night Train. Bought the Low Rider, rode it for two years and loved it. That was until I swung my leg over the seat of a new Night Train. No engine shaking at idle and a 200mm tire. For me personally, I doubt I will ever buy another Dyna.

Gave the Low Rider to my wife last year. She likes the softail ride too. Sold the Low Rider and she is on a new Deluxe now. Thats one smooth riding bike.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got a Dyna, wife rides an 04 Nightrain. I've had a couple of softails in the past, a Springer and a Standard. The Dyna rides so much better. For the bucks you can't beat the Bob. Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
usmcsportster said:
I went from a 2002 sporty (1st bike) to a Street Bob about 2 weeks ago, and I love it. It has the power, comfort, manuverability, about the only thing that I say has to be changed on it is the mid controls. Needs forwards. I am just waitin till after I get my thunderheaders to do that, to make sure it all works. I went with the regular black, they didnt have denim black when I got mine, and it wasnt quite a planned thing so I wasnt waiting though. I agree, black is a whole lot cheaper and less maintenance then chrome! Ride on!:chopper:
Won't it be a Wide Glide then?:dunno:

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I saw one in denim black that had a fat front tire coversion (softail width). Wider triple clamps, big forks, then had both rims powder coated red, no front fender. Looked damn good!

Chris

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by usmcsportster
I went from a 2002 sporty (1st bike) to a Street Bob about 2 weeks ago, and I love it. It has the power, comfort, manuverability, about the only thing that I say has to be changed on it is the mid controls. Needs forwards.
As a Sporty rider, I confess to lusting for a Street Bob but I agree it should have forward controls (you can always get a kit). I love the flat-black look of black denim, but I've heard it's a maintenance nightmare. For what it's worth, I vote Street Bob.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You can get a night train that is pre 2006 so that is a bonus. Do you still have the Fatboy? Why nt keep that. I don't think much of trading up bikes when the tires wear. But look at the money you need to come up with buy new bike and compare that to what you can do to your bike.

As for which bike, do you want a softail or dyna?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
KKRider and I really love our Street Bob. Being new to bikes and riding, I can only offer an opinion on the looks (simple and clean yet HOT!). I'm sure KKRider will add the technical side of why he loves this bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I heard a lot about Dynas handling better than Softails, too. I went from a Triumph Speed Triple to my Night Train, after riding a few HDs. Friends have a Bad Boy, a Dyna Sport/Touring (with Progressive shocks, etc) and others, and I test rode a new NT along with a Street Bob. The Bob was okay, but I didn't like the mini-apes (felt like a sail above 50 mph), or the mid controls- those need forwards! Of course, I'm also fairly tall, with long arms. I felt most comfortable on the NT, and I find the handling surprisingly good. I just need to get used to scraping things here and there!:blink: My NT also has Ceriani 55mm inverted forks and billet wheels, which help a lot in handling.

I say, ride both, for as long as you can, and one will stand out. Have fun!:chopper:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts