V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade our 1999 Road King to a newer RK, however went to the stealers yesterday, sat on a Night Train, Vivid Black anniversary, now looking to get one! Stealer didn't have one to test drive, so I am going to find one to test drive, I would like any comments on 88B engine , wind blst on the night train, anyother experience, I do not now want to do long tours (our 2 year old says no!!), short trips with the odd 200 miler ( twice a year if lucky), I used to have a 53 C a couple of years back and got a load of use just found the wind and vibes too much, anoyne put on a detach screen, I will also be going 2 up from time to time so a temporaray seat and back rest I reckon will be needed. Also I will be stage 1 soon, I am considering Slash-Cut Khrome Werks® High Performance 2 1/2" Slip-on Mufflers , Anyone tried these., sorry 'bout all the questions but I am sure you guys have got some good answers for m to ponder before I get my test ride,

Regards

Mark 99 FLHR -> Nightrain - maybe - probably ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't have a Night Train but I do ride a Softail Standard--just about the same thing only the Night train is black and mine is not. Buddy of mine has one. You will find that the 88B motor is really smooth!! no shakes or "temors" as you say. I'm real happy with mine. I don't think I want to ride coast to coast on it(but I don't want to ride in a cage coast to coast either). It's a good solid bike--I think you're gonna love it. I put on a small windshield on mine and that helps a lot with the wind blast and bugs, and it's small enough that some people don't hardy notice it. I did a Hi-flow kit to the air cleaner and put on some SE II slipon mufflers. I did finally rejet to a #48 slow speed jet and the bike runs just great. I've done some other things to the bike, but everyong has to set up their bikes to their own taste. I think a Night Train is a real blast. But then again--I'm not much for dressers, with all the extra "stuff" hanging on the bike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that, I've been looking at screens, the one shown on the deuce on the 2000 brochure is nice, is yours harley or national cycle or something, I will get something to keep of wind blast I think

Mark

·
Registered
142 Posts
The only other thing to keep in mind about the Train and longer rides is the drag bars. If you are shorter, which I'm am, might be a long reach to the bars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put on a Memphis Shades windshield on mine. I "think" it's a sport shield--it is one of the detachable ones. Mine is only 13" high and 15" wide. Love it!! I took off the regular handlebars and put on a set of buckhorns--they're called '82 or later high buckhorns. They will sit you back in the seat andyou don't have to lean forward as much as the drag bars do. With this combination the windshield comes up to the highest point on the handlebars(the top bend, before they turn down). This comes out to just about my chin or mouth level when I ride, so I'm looking over the windshield and the wind is going over my head as I ride. I looked at the ones Harley makes but they're so tall, 18", I decided to go to a lower one. Alvin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,
I used to have a RK sold it in 2000....I wanted a bike with a "HotRod look" so I bought my Night Train in 2002. I will say this, they are 2 totally different bikes. If you like the ride of your King now, you will probably not be happy with the ride of the Night Train especially 2up.
IMHO a bike like a NightTrain or other stripped down bike looks best that way, when one adds backrests, big cushy seats and windshields it takes away from the clean lines of the bike.
I totally love mine and would not consider letting it go, although I am considering an E-glide standard for the longer trips.
Whatever you decide...good luck, they are both terrific, yet way different bikes.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I have an 01 fxstb with 17000 miles. I love it. Bought it new. It is one of the first jade ones to come out. I liked the color at first but now I'm ready for custom paint. But as far as the bike I won't let that baby go. I am 6'0 and the ride is so comfortable. I added the 2 inch extended control plates from ness. They really didn't make a huge difference, but it is more comfy than before. I take long trips too and it doesn't bother. Love that motor too.

·
Registered
693 Posts
bimini, answer me this question if you would....

I noticed that on a few of your pics, you have the slashed double exhaust on your bike. Then on another pic that I saw of your bike, you had a 2 in 1 exhaust. What's up with that? Did you trade in your slashes for the 2-1?

Please say it ain't so! I think that the dual pipe exhaust looks & sounds sooo much better than any 2-1. I think that the 2-1 looks cheesy & most likely doesn't sound as good (I can't confirm this, I only call 'em like I see 'em). I hope you haven't decided to switch from a great looking dual slash cut to a cheesy 2-1. That would be a real tragedy for such a beautiful bike!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The VH ProPipe was the first exhaust I had on the bike, I had it for the performance, then VH comes out with the BigShots with the crossover to mimic the 2 into 1 and I had to have them. So, yes thats whats on the scoot now and I don't see any new pipes in this bikes future.

The pro Pipe was an excellent exhaust and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it to anyone, but I agree the BigShots definitely look and sound better.

Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
bimini I thought your scooter looked familer , i like the new pipes Lil J check out the train site!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
bimini - the dual exhaust shown on your bike above- do these pipes have baffles? or are they just straight open?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, they have baffles already installed from V&H. Took them out once, they were obnoxiously loud, and noticed a decrease in performance.

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bimini - Thanks for the info! I would like to know..... whats the height on the risers of your bars? also what brand front wheel do you have?

thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
To continue the raves about the N-train. I have a 01' and wouldn't trade it for anything. Its not going to be the most comfy ride as mentioned earlier but it is one of the best looking bikes out there IMHO. The engine runs very smooth and the bike handles around town riding like a champ. Brakes work well and tranny and driveline have given me no problems yet.(just over 6200 miles so far) I'm not far along in the customizing mode but its coming. The Black wrinkle finish is a cinch to keep clean as well. I would recommend this bike to anyone that prefers that Drag bar stance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts