V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you night train riders give me your impression of the bikes handling. I'm thinking of trading my deluxe on a night train.
How's it 2-up?
How's it on longer rides...(other than the seat which can be changed)
How's that skinny front tire in the rain and for following highway grooves?

thanks

ride safe

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Hi,
I have an '05 Nighttrain and think it handles great. I did replace the 6" straight risers with 6" pull back ones. The riding position is what I like, slightly bent forward to reach the bars.
The seat is bad - I replaced it with a FXST standard seat - which also gives acceptable passenger room.
Other bikes I have include a few crotch rockets so handling is somewhat important to me.

Frank

·
Registered
958 Posts
Handles really well,especially for a softail.I think the solid mounted engine is a big plus,as far as the frame goes.
You'll need to change the seat for 2 up,or your ol lady will hate you.
You'll probably need to change the bars,stock ones look cool and they do fit thru doorways,but not comfortable for longer trips..unless your arms are real long.
21" front tire is just fine after you get used to it.A lite grip and let the tire find its way in grooves.After awhile,you don't even notice it. Slow down in the sand and let er skate thru.
Once you make it fit you,it's like riding an easy chair cross country,and fun in the twisties.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Stock seat sucks I replaced mine with a Mustang and changed the bars to Wildone pull back drag bars. They are a little wider and much closer. Avon Venom X tires are a big improvement also. I've made one 700 mile day and several 500 mile days with no problem.

·
Back In Black
182 Posts
I have an 03 Night Train and it handles great in my opinion. 95% of my riding is 2-up and the bike can travel all day at 85+ mph. As for a seat, I'm still looking. My NT came with the H-D Night Train seat instead of the stock saddle and it was not very comfortable for the wife. I bought a Le Pera Maverick seat with gel inserts for the driver and passenger. IMO the Le Pera seat is more comfortable, but on long rides my rear and the wife's gets numb. I did not like how the NT handled pavement grooves and cracks. When I replaced the tires, I went with a little wider Metzler tire and the problem went away. I think about getting a different motorcycle every now and then, but as soon as I ride my NT, I decide I don't want any other motorcycle.

MAC

·
Hardass
547 Posts
haksaw88 said:
Could you night train riders give me your impression of the bikes handling. I'm thinking of trading my deluxe on a night train.

How's it 2-up?
They are both softtails, with the same rear end, so they should be pretty much equal there.
How's it on longer rides...(other than the seat which can be changed)
And other than the handlebars, which can also be changed? I think the Deluxe also has floorboards, which the FXSTB does not. Whether this is better or not, is personal opinion. My legs are long. For me, I needed extended forward controls.
How's that skinny front tire in the rain and for following highway grooves?
Works fine for me (FXST). I've never had any issues with tracking problems. As for rain, a narrower front tire will actually reduce the tendancy to hydroplane. I'm not sure the very small difference in contact patch size will have much of an impact on pure wet traction.

I think the biggest areas will be the difference in the front end/front tire size, in general handling characteristics. Can't say one is better than the other, just that they will likely handle "differently". Also, if you are considering getting a new FXSTB, be aware of the new 200mm rear tire, which may also be somewhat different than you are used to.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 99' NT, Other than changing the seat for the wife, and adding more power, it's mostly stock. I have taken every bit of chrome off and had it powdercoated, which adds the already blacked out theme. Great handling on mountain roads. Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts