V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sat on the NT today @ dealer and am liking it more and more.

Have one question: Are their riser available that will bring the stock bars back about and inch or two without having hitting the dash or requiring a cable change.

Like I told the dealer "If I don't buy a bike soon it si not for lack of effort!"

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bobber is still for sale. That is one bad bike...just too radical for me the apes and the extended forwards really threw me off.

I could get it and change bars & controls but then all the character of that bike is gone.

Did I mention that bike is bad fast & LOUD a real neck snapper!

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
stratslingr77 said:
You could probably use the pullback risers that come stock on the Softail Standard. The stock night train bars are kind of narrow for my taste, but there's plenty of options available for wider drag bars. What became of that Road King Bobber that you were looking at?
Those risers should work. Not sure if the cables etc will still fit. Shouldn't be too much of an issue though cause they have a decent amount of slack in them to begin with.

As stratslingr77 noted, the bars are narrow (only 27 inches tip to tip). You might not have this "problem", but I'm a decent sized guy and with those bars I cannot see behind me. My shoulders cover the inside 1/3rd of the mirrors. In order to see behind myself I need to lean my body to the right/left while keeping the bike straight. Annoying as hell, and equally as unsafe. I'm switching to Ape Hangers soon.

Go to the dealer and sit on the bike again, this time pay more attention to the mirrors not your body position. Make sure you can see behind you etc. Have the sales wrep stand about 10-15 feet directly behind you and see if you can adjust the mirrors to be able to see him. If you can't, consider a wider set of bars like the streetslamers or wild1's.

·
06 NightTrain
289 Posts
on my NT i used the stock risers but i put a 32" drag bar on it. way better. the stock bar is too narrow IMO

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I love my stock bar setup... though I would like to find a set of direct replacement, exact same dimensions (maybe 5" riser), sans-pullback, 1.25" T-bars... nobody makes them. The T-bars out there all have pullback in the riser area, are stupid tall, or are designed for raked out front ends. One of these days I'm going to just put clip-ons on my bike...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I installed the NT bar and risers on my Standard. I needed a little pullback, so I got a set of Custom Chrome risers, that have 6.5" rise, and 1" pullback. the stock NT risers are 6" rise, and 0 pullback. It makes for much more comfortable positioning. I got the risers on Ebay, and cost only about $35.00. If the risers on a stock Standard have not changed since 2003, then they will not work. They are too short. The Standard's rise is about 4", with 2" pullback. The bars will slam into the tank.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I installed risers from a standard and the cables were very close to the tank, ended up maching a pair of 3/4'' spacer to rise it a bit with longer bolts, the bars are much better now.
Nicky

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
I love my stock bar setup... though I would like to find a set of direct replacement, exact same dimensions (maybe 5" riser), sans-pullback, 1.25" T-bars... nobody makes them. The T-bars out there all have pullback in the riser area, are stupid tall, or are designed for raked out front ends. One of these days I'm going to just put clip-ons on my bike...
Clip-ons would rule! LOL Did you ever get that Fatboy fender on your bike?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
you shouldn't have cable issues with any riser. Anything that fits an FXST I think fits a Train. The excess electrical harness is rolled up under the tank ( at least it was on mine). I put on Wild one 500's needing nothing. The left side electric made it with my switch to 560's. The right side would have made it too if I hadn't spaced them up.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I used Deuce risers on mine with only a brake hose change. At full lock right the cables are just barely above the tank but don't hit the gas cap. At full lock left the acorn nut for the mirror is just above the gas gauge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.