V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade this spring - I hhave a Sportster right now but its not a bike for 2. Need a bike that both my wife and I can comfortably ride on and yet not break the bank. Any suggestions?

:thanks:

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
Several bikes in the Dyna family that you could get into for around $13K that are good options. We are buying an FXDBI to go with my FLSTCI that will convert from a 1 up to 2 up bike pretty easily.

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
BMW or Gold Wing ...

Dodge Dart or Mercury Cougar ...

Cessna or Beechcraft ...

bottomline is that it does not matter one tiny little bit what WE think ... which bike makes your panties moist when you think about it? ... buy that one ...

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
RoadKing.

Good middle of the road bike. Great for running around town and a pleasure on the road.

o~\o

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I went from a sportster ( had 3 over number of years ) to a Heritage Classic. night and day for riding comfort for 2. I think you'll get suggestions based on what people have in their garage. Road King has probably more options for a larger rear seat for your passenger over a softtail model, as does any touring line cycle. the most bang for your buck is most likely the EG standard. I see your in Illinios not far from Ohio. save yourself some cash and call Ben Breece HD always msrp with free freight and set up. 419-523-4274

good luck and ride safe.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
brownjams said:
....... I think you'll get suggestions based on what people have in their garage. Road King has probably more options for a larger rear seat for your passenger over a softtail model.....
Hum-m-m-m, I must not be the norm.. Don't own a RoadKing and never owned one. EVER!! When anybody comes to me looking to buy a Harley I point 'em to the RoadKing and I'm talking first time owners too. Like I said in my first post, great middle of the road bike.

o~\o

·
Iron Butt
559 Posts
@gree: with TomB, get what you want and like, and can afford. Ride them first if you can to be sure it suits you.
My $.02.
Steve.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
TomB said:
bottomline is that it does not matter one tiny little bit what WE think ... which bike makes your panties moist when you think about it? ... buy that one ...
Panties pretty moist here on my Road King.... wait... yeah, they're moist.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd vote for selling the sportster and getting a Std. Electra Glide that's a couple of years old. Cheaper than a Roadking and you get more equipment that really makes a difference when riding 2 up a lot.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
For what its worth I took a tortured path to get where I’m at now. I started in July of 04 with a 04 XL883, found out that the wife really liked to ride. Only problem was there was too much of us and not enough Sportster, a short hop was fine anything more was miserable. Rented a 04 EG Classic from the dealer, love at 1st ride for the wife and I. Bought a 05 EG Classic September of 04 after putting 3k miles on the Sporty. Figured I was set for many years, even had the Stage 2 done to the engine. Fast foward and add
9k miles to the EG Classic, I get the itch right after the announcement of the 06 lineup. My dad pulled the trigger on a 06 Ultra which left me thinking it would be just dandy to follow. So the 2nd week of September of this year I took delivery of my 06 Ultra. All I can say is I should have bought an Ultra right from the get go. The best advice I can give it take some bikes for a ride, if you have to wait to save up more cash to get what you realy want you will be much happier in the long run.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Don't listen to them ultra classic then you won't ever look back.Wait a minute anyone want to buy my ultra. if so I am going back to a road king or a heritage softail. get what you want we'll all be as Gaa Gaaa as you. good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Depends on how much 2 up riding you will do. For the money a Dyna is cheaper, for lots of miles a Road King

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So whats wrong with a Heritage Softail

I like the look of the Heritage Softail - so what is the disadvantage of going 2 up with this type of bike?

^rolleyez^

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
John Deppong said:
I like the look of the Heritage Softail - so what is the disadvantage of going 2 up with this type of bike?

^rolleyez^
In my opinion, basically passenger comfort!! No disadvantage on short jaunts around town but on a long haul..as one member put it "you start hearing a squeeking sound from the rear of the bike...the passenger".

o~\o

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had a 99 1200 sporty and rode for 5 years and 45 to 50,000 miles-maybe more (took speedo off at about 35,000).just got a 03 wideglide and man i love this bike,handles good,feels good. i do a lot of 2up ridin and my ol lady loves it too. i did put on a taller and wider sissy bar and a mustang seat is going on in the spring. we are taking a trip this spring from missouri to texas and i cant wait. like the others have said check em all out and make YOUR dicision based on your comfort and taste.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Love My Ultra

John Deppong said:

^rolleyez^
I went from a 1200 Sportster to a Heritage Classic and then to an Ultra Classic. There was just not enough bike (Sportster) for 2 up riding. I traded the Sportster in for the Heritage and really loved the bike. It is in my honest opinion the most gorgeous bike ever produced.It handled well and was very good for 2 up riding. I rode my sons EG and fell in love with it. That is why I traded the Heritage for the 06 Ultra.

It all depends on what you like and the type of riding you do. 95% of my riding is 2 up. There is just more what I call creature conforts on the Ultra. I had the Ultra for the last 6 weeks of our riding season and logged 5,000 miles on it. Next year we will probably log between 15 to 20 thousand miles. My OL and I like to tour and the Ultra is the way to go.

You have been given the best advice from MSOCKO3, find dealers that will let you test ride different bikes or rent them.YOU and only YOU are the bset judge for what is good for YOU.. Take your time as a hurried decision will cost you more in the long run as you will not be happy.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Electra Glide Standard, cheaper than a Road King by a few grand, and just as (if not more) comfortable! I went from a Lowrider to a EG Std, and love it! It's also a great canvas for working on in regards to upgrades and such!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts