V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new here so I hope I’m posting this in the right place but I just got my bike running for the first time today. I believe it needs carb work because it won’t start unless the pilot screw is almost all the way out but what I’m really asking about is there seems to be a grinding noise coming from the primary side of the engine. I know the dry clutches tend to make noise but the bike was in neutral. If I can figure out how to post a video I will because it sounds awful. If anybody on here can give me an idea as to what it could be thatd be great.

·
Super Moderator
19,319 Posts
Chain rubbing on the primary would be one cause. Crank nut hitting the outer would be another.

Lefty bearing would be a real bad cause, and primary bearing would be not too big of a deal.

To many things that can cause left side noise to even make a good guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. It can’t be the nut or chain because it’s a belt drive open primary. I’ll check out the bearings but I just had the bottom end re done

·
Registered
505 Posts
The alternator/rotor could ne colliding

·
Registered
505 Posts
Carb needs a bigger low speed jet

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes, it could be a low fuel level in the float bowl too or only.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The noise could be a loose rotor.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
what brand belt drive? some are prone to issues..

explain grind,,, as in when it grinds? some people call hard starting grinding.. just because the bottom end has been rebuilt,, doesnt mean its right,,, have you contacted the builder?
I have seen a good share of just rebuilt engines come through my shop that weren't done right.. nd had problems,,, shovel and evo bottom end rebuilds require expertise and a host of special tools and equipment...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
tall terry
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing