V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, all it took for my wife to totally support my desire for a new Harley was to offer to pay off her car! Thankfully I only have about 1000 bucks to pay off on it. The real task will be to scrounge up another couple grand to lay down on the new hog. Hehe, gotta have that ol' 10%.

I think I have settled on a Fat Boy. I'm older now, so hotrodding aint really my style, but I still like style. Fat Boy seems to fit what I expect out of a bike. I can't decide what color, but I am leaning toward black.

I do have a question that you more knowledgable fellas could help me resolve. Should I get an EFI or carburated bike?

·
Registered
131 Posts
It all depends on you. Are you one of the guys that like to mess with your bike, or are you just gonna ride it?
The new EFI works very well.
I like carbed bikes so I can attempt to tune it to my liking, but they're not going to be around much longer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you like trouble free riding you should go with the fuel injection. It is a wonderful thing to have in my opinion. The bikes with efi always start easy hot or cold and get good milage. EFI is not for people who like to tinker. It runs great but needs to be left alone unless you have a computer/analyzer to hook to it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's exactly what i was thinking. Ideally, I get another bike to tinker with, since it's an irresistable thing for me. I might just go with teh EFI on this bike to ride, and play with another bike to tinker with. If I get a carbed bike, I might just be tempted to fuss around with it. hehe, might not be a smart move. =)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doh!

The biggest question in my mind was (and I forgot to ask): If I get EFI, will I have any problems later should I decide to put some cool aftermarket pipes on it? How would my performance be affected if I do?

·
Registered
22 Posts
fatboy

I just bought a '99 Fatboy in December, pearl white. I enjoy the sportiness of it compared to my Heritage. Nice choice, I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have V&H slip on's on mine. No real power gain but does have a nice sound. You should not have any major problems with the efi and pipes. Ocasionaly mine will have a lean miss when decelerating from high speed due to no backpressure but that is all. Also It will only do it in cold weather. I have put 5000 miles on with the aftermarket pipes and that is all of the trouble I have had. The parts salesman said there would not be any problem with voiding the waranty either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet! Thanks, Bigtime. just what I was looking for. =)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
If ya go EFI ya cannot do the stage three is all. Fuel Injected bikes are limited on what you can do to the engine.

EFI stage 1 is in my estimation the best option for what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have ridden carbed Harleys for over 25 years and now have a 02' Heritage Springer EFI (FLSTSI). I put Vance Hines long shots on it and it made all the difference. The ride is so smooth and I won't miss the carb. I guess it all depends on how much tinkering you want to do. I think I've got most of that out of my system now and want more road time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had both,But I'll never go back to carbs.EFI is so smooth.
I installed thunder header & stage 1 kit. it runs great.If I still wanted speed I would have kept my 1,000 Honda Hurricane.Now I just cruise in style.Hey to each thier own,but I'll never go back!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts