V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
06 Street Glide
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put $500 down to hold a new Street Glide on the 18th of March. Buying it at MSRP + $425 for set up. Adding $750 in extras + labor to install. Roughly an additional $1000 to add running lights and a sissy bar for the misses. Haven't heard from the salesman since the deposit other than the 2x I called him. The bike is supposed to be in on the 12th of April. Now he's telling me that I won't be able to pick it up until the 19th of April due to the time it will take for the papers to catch up to the bike and the installation of the extras. I want it now. I know I need to be patient.

Woulda Coulda Shoulda -- I have spent a lot of time on this website since the 18th of March reading a tremendous amount of stuff about this whole experience. The reason I bought it from the dealer is because he is local and I thought if I have a problem it would be easier to get it taken care of from the local guy if I purchased it from him. Now I'm wondering if I'm being taken advantage of from a price standpoint. I've been to several dealers locally and out of state since then as well as looking on the internet. These bikes are out there and I could be riding sooner. I just don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this whole experience and I'm the one paying $20,000 for a new bike. Do I need to relax and be patient or is my frustration being communicated well enough to get some advice from y'all. If I had to do it all over again after what I have learned from this site I would definitely do it differently. I read a book recently called How to Ride a Motorcycle. The author said the first thing you should do before buying a bike is to purchase the safety gear. If that is true the second thing you should do is become a member of this site and read for a couple of weeks. By the way my $15 is on the way.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Lighten Up

Lighten up. You just have an acute case of PDA (pre-delivery anxiety). You seem to have worked out a reasonable price for the bike so just let it happen. The weather will probably suck for the next 12 days anyway. If things get real bad, buy a set of chaps for the OL and have her 'model' them for you.

·
Registered
454 Posts
good deal

The price sounds fine...really, you aren't going to do much better than that no matter who you buy it from. If you must have the bike as soon as possible, I'd seriously recommend picking it up as soon as it's delivered/uncrated rather than leaving it with the dealer for several extra days so they can install your sissy bar and lights. Do that simple stuff yourself and you'll get your bike sooner and you'll have some more cash in your pockets! Congrats on the new bike. Those Street Glides look awesome!

·
Registered
362 Posts
If no one has said Hi yet Then Hi.
Know what you mean by “hind site” and “doing it over”. http://www.ironbutt.org/ This will give you some reading while your waiting. Good advice and tips even if you don’t take long rides.
Also try these DVD’s from http://www.ridelikeapro.com/
There is also a contact on this Forum for riding instructions and tips also. You will half to look for it as I don’t remember where it’s at.
Lets here from you when you get your bike and post some pictures.

Kenny

·
Registered
755 Posts
bought my newest bike in april about 2 years ago. i waited two weeks for the "prep" on my bike...which was just installed exhaust and the usual other prep stuff. reason they told me is: they're busy as hell as this time of year.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Dude,
you got it bad. Be patient. Buy the chaps for the OL and have her model em. If ya gotta ride then rent one and get it outta your system.
Movies, work, sex.....anything to take your mind off of it.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Kenney said:
Also try these DVD’s from http://www.ridelikeapro.com/
There is also a contact on this Forum for riding instructions and tips also. You will half to look for it as I don’t remember where it’s at.
Lets here from you when you get your bike and post some pictures.

Kenny
Excellent DVDs. Another thing is get yourself into a MSF class if you have never ridden or it has been awhile since you have. They are very worthwhile classes. If you have never ridden don't be to proud to go into the beginners class. I have seen too many dump their new bikes in the advance classes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
good advice

Good advice on the MSF course. The Street Glide is a BIG motorcycle and is going to be a bit tricky to handle at low speed, particularly if you're truly a newby.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I know what you mean about being anxious to get your new scoot, I hardly could sleep the night before I picked up mine. That's not a long time longer than the date you were given. maybe give them a ring and see if they can't get you the bike a few days sooner, they may see that your anxious to get it and want to keep you happy.

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:harhar: you'll probably hate me, but, i walked into the dealer and saw the exact bike i wanted and bought it. 3 hrs later it was under my a##. did the add ons later and saved a few dollars, ride ride ride add later....enjoy

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nice

That's the way to do it! That's how I did it with my Dyna as well. Instead of ordering one, I just kept calling around until I found a dealership in my area with the bike I wanted. I told the guy "hold onto it, I'm coming down right now to buy it.". When I got there, it was already roped up with a "sold" sign on it and I was really disappointed. I was standing there looking at the bike and a guy walks up and says "Hey, are you the guy who called an hour ago?". I said, "Yeah...I guess somebody beat me to it, eh?". He said, "No, we just did that for you!". Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
OrangeTJ said:
That's the way to do it! That's how I did it with my Dyna as well. Instead of ordering one, I just kept calling around until I found a dealership in my area with the bike I wanted. I told the guy "hold onto it, I'm coming down right now to buy it.". When I got there, it was already roped up with a "sold" sign on it and I was really disappointed. I was standing there looking at the bike and a guy walks up and says "Hey, are you the guy who called an hour ago?". I said, "Yeah...I guess somebody beat me to it, eh?". He said, "No, we just did that for you!". Good stuff.

That's the way mine went. Walked in and said, "I want that one." and gave em a check from my credit union. Made em do a doubletake.

·
06 Street Glide
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright I'll be patient.

Mikie -- Wife told me to go buy the chaps, sounds like a good idea

Kenney -- Thanks for the links

WKohn -- I plan on signing up for classes thanks for the suggestion

OrangeTJ -- I do have some experience but also smart enough to know I've got a lot to learn

JMPS1, OrangeTJ, and RickWG would have done that this past weekend in Bloomington Indiana had several SG's. 2 that they had tricked out at the dealer that really looked nice. But I had already started this process back home.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and keep it coming.

·
Registered
548 Posts
First let me say, welcome.

Very nice choice in bike! I got alil luckier when I got my street bob 3 weeks ago, went in for a front tire, and they got me on a bike on the showroom floor. :whistle: So, the only waiting I had was on the paperwork.

But, I have a couple more considerations for you.
#1 engine guard, or "crash bar" as I call them. You said you have "some experience" if it is not with big bikes, I definatly recommend them. If you dont like it, you can always take it off and sell it on e-bay after you ride with it awile, but, definatly a good insurance policy for a new rider on a new bike. (I put one on mine before I left the dealership. I am a newer rider too)

#2 I dont recommend riding with your OL until YOU are COMFORTABLE and CONFIDENT with that bike with just you on it. A passenger can make a big difference if you have never rode with the OL before.

#3 Sign up for that MSF course NOW. That way, as soon as you get that bike you can get right into the course, instead of waiting around for a class to open up. You'll be a step ahead of the game.

Other'n that, you have about the amount of patience I do....NONE. Its ok. Your not alone. Take care and keep the rubber to the road!

·
Registered
116 Posts
usmcsportster said:
First let me say, welcome.

Very nice choice in bike! I got alil luckier when I got my street bob 3 weeks ago, went in for a front tire, and they got me on a bike on the showroom floor. :whistle: So, the only waiting I had was on the paperwork.

But, I have a couple more considerations for you.
#1 engine guard, or "crash bar" as I call them. You said you have "some experience" if it is not with big bikes, I definatly recommend them. If you dont like it, you can always take it off and sell it on e-bay after you ride with it awile, but, definatly a good insurance policy for a new rider on a new bike. (I put one on mine before I left the dealership. I am a newer rider too)

#2 I dont recommend riding with your OL until YOU are COMFORTABLE and CONFIDENT with that bike with just you on it. A passenger can make a big difference if you have never rode with the OL before.

#3 Sign up for that MSF course NOW. That way, as soon as you get that bike you can get right into the course, instead of waiting around for a class to open up. You'll be a step ahead of the game.

Other'n that, you have about the amount of patience I do....NONE. Its ok. Your not alone. Take care and keep the rubber to the road!
That is great advice. Being someone who has dropped my various bikes about fifteen times I wouldn't have a bike without them. My ol lady started riding my 05 springer last fall after the course and dropped it once. This year we bought her an 06 RK and she's dropped it 3 times already and with no bad results just good thing I was there to pick it up cuz those RK's are heavy. Also it reall sucks waiting for a bike I waited three months for my 03, 1 month for my 05 and 2 days for the RK cus we wanted it delivered. Have fun and be super carefull so you don't have a bad experience.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Congrats on the bike purchase and welcome to the forum. Lots of fine folks with great advice around this hoot of a scoot forum.

P.S. The best time to purchase any new toy is off season when the vendor is hungry.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Fortunatly I didn't suffer PDA. After visiting numerous dealers in the area, I knew what I wanted. One Monday morning shortly after that, I saw the bike on the dealer web site. Called the store and spoke with the saleslady to see if it was still there after the weekend. Not only was it there, but there were a total of 4 ultra's in different colors and configurations. This was at 10:30 am. Gave here my info and had the credit approval in 30 minutes. Left work early, rove 61 miles home to pick up the wife and drove the 40 miles out to the shop. Signed the papers, picked out some helmets, leathers, gloves boots and did the walk through on the bike with the service manager. Left the store at 5:30. That was March 06, 2005; 22,000 miles ago. :wootdnc:

·
06 Street Glide
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not opposed to getting an engine guard (this is a sure sign of ignorance) but doesn't the Street Glide come with an engine gaurd? I think it does. My wife and I have already discussed the fact that there will be no riders until I am 100% comfortable and even then I was told to take an experienced rider the first time. I really appreciate the responses keep them coming.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Once ya get the bike, you might as well look into getting a lil 250 or something for the ol lady so she can ride too. Both of ya take the MSF class and then you'll always have a riding buddy and you wont have to worry about the two up thing for awhile. If she's into riding then she will appreciate her own ride. Then down the rode road in a year or so she can move up to a bigger bike as well. My other half is scared to death of bikes and swears she'll never get on one. My bike right now ( couldn't afford the ulta I wanted) is a KZ1000P. A copcycle just like the ones they rode in the old TV show CHIPS. It has a seat for one rider so passengers aren't a problem. I love this bike though cause it still has all the cop stuff on it. Lights, siren etc. The only thing they removed was their department logo and the radio. It say TRAFFIC in gold 3" letters on the fairing. You'd be amazed at how many people will slow down or suddenly remember to put their seatbelts on and **** like that. It's a blast. And people ALWAYS see my bike............Don

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
killmeyer000 said:
bought my newest bike in april about 2 years ago. i waited two weeks for the "prep" on my bike...which was just installed exhaust and the usual other prep stuff. reason they told me is: they're busy as hell as this time of year.
I ordered mine 1/29/04. Arrived at the dealer 4/5. Rode it home 4/7 after download and ac. 2nd anniversary~!Awesome!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts