V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've never had a harley but will have one soon! I just have a few questions.

I want to get a 1200, but I don't know much about sporties at all. Tell me some of the basics, like cruising speed, top speed, 1/4 mile, gas mileage, vibration, sound, comfort, etc. I realize that many of these will change from rider to rider, but all inputs would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll get this bike no matter what, but it's a good idea to know what I'm getting into. I've gotten tired of sport bikes, and there insurance rates and I want something I can just cruise on.

Some people say the sportsters are too small, well I'm only 5'8" and 140 lbs., so that shouldn't be a problem. I want to know aftermarket support for these bikes also, along with sites to check out specifically (or just strongly) for this bike. Also, what does it sound like with pipes on it (I really want the West Coast Choppers "Hell Bent" exhaust [I drive a z-28 with open headers, it won't be too loud, but I want it to sound sweet]).

Any contributions here will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Jacobi said:
I've gotten tired of sport bikes, and there insurance rates and I want something I can just cruise on.
Might want to look into other models. Look at the name, "Sportster", shouldn't that tel you something?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: Re: Newbie with questions about a sporty!

Sidewalk said:
Might want to look into other models. Look at the name, "Sportster", shouldn't that tel you something?
Sidewalk, if your refering to insurance prices, the sportys are cheaper to insure because of the cubic inches compared to the big twins.

After market custom parts are less available for the sportys than the big twins. Alot less custom pipes to choose from, no way on the hell bent pipes, but if you go through the post in the sportster forum you will see I found something similar. The only times I want a BT is when I take long rides (my old bones need comfort) but I would not give up my sporty :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Newbie with questions about a sporty!

Misguided said:

Sidewalk, if your refering to insurance prices, the sportys are cheaper to insure because of the cubic inches compared to the big twins.
I was refering to the fact that its name implies a sport type of riding. It has a stiff ride, small tank, and a few other quarks. Nothing wrong with the bike, but if you are kinda tired of that kind of bike, you don't want to get into another.

·
Registered
127 Posts
To answer your questions (my opinion only of course)

Cruising speed - I usually cruise around 70 on interstates, whatever on backroads. No problems cruising at 70, the bike seems comfortable there (I have a 1200)

Top speed - I have no idea. I don't even know what my speedo goes up to. I don't race.

1/4 mile - again, I don't race.

Gas mileage - I usually get around 50 mpg.

Vibration - my husband who also has a 1200 says his bike vibrates a lot and he's getting tired of it, I have a friend who says the vibration on her Sportster puts her right hand to sleep within 30 minutes of riding. Maybe I'm wierd but the vibration doesn't bother me (after I got mirrors I could actually see out of).

Sound - I have Vance & Hines Straightshots on mine... that sucker's loud! :)

Comfort - stock it is not comfy at all. I have a Mustang seat with rider backrest, a sport windshield, and pegs in the standard position as well as the forward controls and highway pegs, so the variety of places I can move my feet while riding helps tremendously. After riding 500+ miles per day I don't feel any worse than I would if I was stuck in a car for that long. <shrug>

When people say that the Sportster is too small, they may be talking about the engine size because the Sportster is one of the tallest bikes there is. I suggest you at least sit on one before you buy one. But I'm 5'8" also and have no trouble at all. Fits me great. Another area where it is small tho is if you ride 2-up. Sometimes while on trips I'll ride on the back with my husband to just run out and get something to eat (so my bike will save our parking spot at the hotel). I definintely couldn't ride back there for very long... the shocks bottom out (we ain't large folks) - of course that's an adjustment, and I feel reall crowded back there. The stock seat would kill a passengers rear end within 100 miles or less.

Aftermarket support - I don't know, I've found a ton of stuff in the aftermarket world for Sportsters. Some "bolt-on" some not so "bolt-on". :) Here is a picture of my bike and all it's aftermarket parts:

http://www.ffbmc.com/Pictures/Chris/BikeHistory/MostRecent.jpg

I think you can get a Sportster to sound as good as any other bike out there more or less. Just depends on what pipes you put on it. Keep in mind the hollower (is that a word?) the pipes are, the more you will lose performance (gotta have backpressure). It's a priority balance.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sporty Kid said:
Keep in mind the hollower (is that a word?) the pipes are, the more you will lose performance (gotta have backpressure).
Just FYI, but that is a myth. 99% of the population is with you. For more info on what I mean, send an IM (to not distract from the thread topic).

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2002 XL1200C, 0-70 faster than its big brother's, lots of after market stuff, lots more viberation than the 88"s, but a very good bike, but you MUST pay the harley tax!!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Stock 1/4 mile Et for the Sporty Sport is about 13.65. With a pipe , free flowing A/C and a re jet it is a low 13 sec bike . Pipes effect the vibes and you'll have a little more with preformance mods.
The Sporster Sport is by far my favoret Sporty.

·
Banned
316 Posts
Ya don't have to keep the stock tank and as for stiff ride or sport look, it all depends on how you set yours up. Mine has 6" over forks and a 3.2 gal. tank. Its setup just right for nice country cruisin'. Just cause its a sportster don't mean ya gotta race it! It may have a bit of a stiff ride compared to say a dyna or dresser, but when the OL gets into the vibrations, it can only be a good thing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My friends that have big evo's and twin cams told me not to buy a sportster cause of the ride and center of gravity. They were wrong as far as I am concern. I had a 93 500 ninja,750 ninja on spray, 900 CBR RR,and my sportster with progressive lowering rides nicer and the lepera solo seat with almost no padding rides nicer. All in all I have to say is I can beat evo to 50 mph with the same mods and mine is a 883/1200 with 883 heads. My insurance is half the cost of my 900 RR. Unless your a NFL football player size guy a sportster is a great way to go. I will buy a twin cam but I wont trade or sale the sportster it is just to good of a bike.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ziggyhd1 said:
Ya don't have to keep the stock tank and as for stiff ride or sport look, it all depends on how you set yours up. Mine has 6" over forks and a 3.2 gal. tank. Its setup just right for nice country cruisin'. Just cause its a sportster don't mean ya gotta race it! It may have a bit of a stiff ride compared to say a dyna or dresser, but when the OL gets into the vibrations, it can only be a good thing!
Waving the newbie flag!!! What does "6" over forks" mean? Also, if you get an 883 and convert to a 1200 (which I plan to do since the 883 comes in orange/black) can you still tell insurance that it's an 883? I'm sure that this is illegal...but would they find out? One more, is insurance much cheaper for an 883 vs. 1200? Okay, one more...percentage wise, what's the cost of insurance for a young male (20) when compared to a crotch rocket?

·
Registered
335 Posts
only have one answer for you, 6" over forks are simply length 6" s longer than stock length. the tubes are available in allmost ant length over/under stock here is a pic of stock forks next to 7" over forks.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What exactly do the longer forks do? It wouldn't change the angle (rake?), all it seems like it would do is raise the handlebars and frame up higher off the ground...? Can you show me a picture of your bike with them on?

·
Banned
316 Posts
Jacobi said:
What exactly do the longer forks do? It wouldn't change the angle (rake?), all it seems like it would do is raise the handlebars and frame up higher off the ground...? Can you show me a picture of your bike with them on?
Yes it does raise the bike about 2" plus adds acouple inches in length. I'm 6'3" and this helps alot. also added forward controls for this. And it looks cool too. If you're into the chopper look without going to a hard tail. Here's the pic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.