V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jumped on my Ultra Classic today for a ride and noticed low oil pressure. Light came on at idle. Level is good. Any simple fixes before I take it to the shop?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it with 9000 miles on it (has 19000 on it now) and the following mods were done by previous owner.

10.25:1 pistons
1.900 intake valves and springs
1.630 exhaust valves and springs
SE 211 cam set
new lifters
compression release

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to put a manual gauge on it and verify pressure then check the bypass relief valve, that seems to be a common problem after reading other post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I unplugged the sending unit to check for corrosion and it looked good, so i fired it up this morning and oil pressure was great until it warmed up then it started loosing oil pressure more and more as it warmed up. At idle the oil pressure drops to zero and the light comes on. So i shut it down again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had intermittent problem on my 09 Ultra.
Try new oil pressure switch!
Provided you don't have major mechanical noise!!!
This appears to be a common issue.
$20 from HD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and dont have any oil pressure. I unhooked the tubing on back of the gauge and started it back up but never saw any oil in the plastic tubing. I put the oil sending unit back on and cant get any pressure on the stock gauge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be the oil pump. I'm going to take it to the shop. I'm not going to attempt an oil pump change out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly right claydbal, they did all the mods but didnt change stock cam bearings. Gonna be close to $2K for parts and labor from a local mechanic. During the repair I decided to go with the high pressure oil pump and the hydraulic cam chain tensioners. Hopefully this will be the last time I'm in this motor for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts