V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am brand new to this forum and relatively new to Harley although I have previously owned a 76 Sportster, 79 Lowrider, and a 04 Ultra. I just bought a 2002 Softail Duece. When I bought it the owner was showing me the key and he said the guy he bought it from said to never push the button on the FOB, well guess what, he accidently pushed it, and we could not disarm it. I bought the bike anyway, loaded it up on the trailer, and off I went. Got it home and my next door neighbor owns a 05 Electra-Glide. He said to disarm it was to push the button twice. All is fine. I understand the older push button FOB is to arm/disarm the system as the newer ones the FOB needs to be close to the bike. Anyway, I did some research on the internet and found out there is a code in case the FOB gets lost, or battery goes south while armed. I tried to do the procedure to read/reset the code but I can not get it to display. So my question is, Do these older push button FOB system have a code? Or am I doing something wrong? I cycle the ign switch on/off 3 times leaving it in on, then push the LH turn signal 3 times, then rRH turn signal once, At that time it should show the code. I get nothing. Pretty sure it is me, LOL Thanks in advance, Kim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is from my 2004.
Thanks, rkt I will try this, totally different from my procedure. Also do you know how to turn siren/chirper on/off. not sure if mine has one, LOL On the newer ones you arm/disarm 3 times to turn it on/off. Thanks, so much. Just took it out down Main St. Daytona then on the Ormond scenic loop (Biketoberfest started today) Wow what a nice bike, I love it, nothing like my old Ultra!!!! but it is for sure not a long distance touring bike, not for my 66 year old butt, maybe 40 years ago, LOL but I love it!!

·
not sober all the time
5,223 Posts
The above procedure was to disarm the security system. You need an owner's manual for your model bike to show the correct procedure for programming a personal code into the security system.
The procedure to view the code on my '04 Road King is;
1) Set RUN/OFF switch to OFF
2) Turn IGN key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
3) Press left turn switch 2 times and release
4) Quickly press key fob button 2 times and release. (Confirmation will be 1 flash of turn signals and indicators) The vehicle will be in personal code entry mode.
5) Press left turn switch 1 time and release. (Confirmation will be 1-9 flashes if code was previously entered and the odometer should read out the code) Lack of confirmation indicates no digit is entered.

There are 3 more pages of instructions on programming a personal code but I'm not typing it out. Get an owner's manual. The procedure for your bike could be different anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Uncle Salty for taking the time to post. I have found the owners manual on line and mine is the same as yours, however I tried it several times and so far no luck. I will try again later, and if not maybe will see if a Harley technician can show me. Thanks again, Kim

·
not sober all the time
5,223 Posts
If it showed no results (as in no code appeared on the odometer readout after step 5) you should be able to begin programming your personal code starting at step 6.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, What I mean by no results is after step 5 the odometer remains on the odometer the whole time. I never see a 5 digit code or dashes, it stays on mileage. Kim

·
Retired
1,826 Posts
Thanks, rkt I will try this, totally different from my procedure. Also do you know how to turn siren/chirper on/off. not sure if mine has one, LOL On the newer ones you arm/disarm 3 times to turn it on/off. Thanks, so much. Just took it out down Main St. Daytona then on the Ormond scenic loop (Biketoberfest started today) Wow what a nice bike, I love it, nothing like my old Ultra!!!! but it is for sure not a long distance touring bike, not for my 66 year old butt, maybe 40 years ago, LOL but I love it!!
No siren/chirper on my bike. My 66 year old butt did a 3200 trip to Florida and back on my 2004 this year. I never could get into the touring bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
No siren/chirper on my bike. My 66 year old butt did a 3200 trip to Florida and back on my 2004 this year. I never could get into the touring bikes.
That would be a good looking bike if that old man wasn't in front of it.lol. I just turned 66 on the 14th and still riding even if it is a trike. Many more miles to you brother.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You've got a touring bike, it just doesn't have hard bags,a hard tourpac or fairing!

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Retired
1,826 Posts
You've got a touring bike, it just doesn't have hard bags,a hard tourpac or fairing!

That's my point. You can tour on just about any motorcycle. My son was riding his 2018 Indian Chieftain Elite on this trip.

·
not sober all the time
5,223 Posts

You can "tour" on a bicycle. My wife has taken several long trips on her Street Bob with a solo seat and no means to carry anything but I was along for the ride while toting the "extras" such as socks, underwear, toothbrush, etc. I guess you can call it "touring" even if you don't carry an extra pair of undies. Depends on how many depends you need.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Speaking of Depends....the MIL was staying with us before retiring to the nursing home and needed a resupply. I was heading to town anyway so I volunteer to pick them up. I didn't realize how big a case of diapers was, but I got them tied down to the passenger seat and off I went. Got some interesting looks....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4) Quickly press key fob button 2 times and release. (Confirmation will be 1 flash of turn signals and indicators)
kimrpaige, did you get a confirmation after step 4?
Uncle Salty,
After step 4, no change on display and no flash of turn signal, so no confirmation. Odometer stays on odometer the whole time. Kim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts