V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, since it's near the end of the year, I thought I'd go for the Most Embarassing Newbie Post of the Year award.

Getting back into riding after the kids are gone, (I saw the other thread.) After years of metrics, I scratched the HD itch and picked up an '01 Heritage for a nice price. I love the scoot and know it has power to burn. I'm pretty sure the former owner opened up his engine and his wallet. The only external sign is the Cobra Long Shots but she has been tweeked for low and mid range power.

Now given that I'm new to the HD game, have a new Clymer manual, and a general interest in doing repairs and maintenance myself, how do I figure out what I got? :confused: As near as I can tell, if I have something bigger than a 6" ring A/C then the front end has probably been fixed. I assume that if the plugs are looking good then the carb has been properly jetted. I don't have a clue of what to look for beyond that. :nope:

Can someone rescue me and what's left of my self confidence and tell me what to look for that would matter for general maintence or typical repairs? I was stumbling around enough assuming a stock configuration and after reading a number of the threads over here, I'm a bit worried that there is something I ought to know or be checking that's not exactly in the service manual.

No complaints at all in how she's running, I'd just like to know how she does it.#@SasF#

·
Registered
246 Posts
If your local dealer did any work on it, he'll be able to tell you what was done from the VIN. Ask the service guys for a printout.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Maybe you can have it dynoed and see what the numbers are. may at least give you some idea how far the previous oner got.
Ken

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sam's obvious good suggestion has already helped. :thanks:

I called up the local dealer and am getting a print out against the VIN. I feel like the winner of the Homer Simpson Award. :duh?:

While I go off looking for my anti-senility pills, any other good ideas will certainly be welcome.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Maybe keep the pills in around your neck?? not sure if that was the suggestion you where wanting?? I write things in a small note pad and can never find the pad HMMMMM maybe a bigger pad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts