V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 FXR4, LOVE IT TOO !!!

It's a GREAT RIDE and handles far better than my buddies Street Bob.

Anyway, my question on the shocks is this .....
What after market shocks might I consider to make the ride just a bit smoother ?

On the rear I have the pre-load set to about the middle most of the time. If I think I'm going to be riding hard I'll crank the pre-load to the max.

Even when the pre-load is set to the middle or higher I often bottom out. I am 5'9" and weigh in at 175 pounds.

There is no way to keep from hitting bottom when my wife rides with me .... and man it hits hard too !

Thanks for any suggestions

Mikey

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
what you need is a set of Progressive shocks, they have adjustable compression and rebound...
The preload just sets your ride height for the weight you are carrying, so it makes sense to crank it up a bit when you are carrying a passenger or more gear.
To slow down the compression of that spring, you need adjustable compression, stock Harley shocks, and most aftermarket shocks don't come with adjustable rebound and compression adjustments.
The rebound adjustment speeds or slows how fast your shock rebounds after it is compressed.
Progressive is a company that makes aftermarket shocks for most bikes, both on and off road. They've been in the business a long time and I highly recommend them.
I ride both Harleys, and Buells, and do a pretty good job of dialing in the suspension of all my bikes.
On my '93 FXR, I've replaced the front fork springs with progressive springs, about $70. and replaced the rear shocks with progressive adjustable shocks, about $260.
They aren't cheap, but the ride and the handling are very much improved.
Good Luck!

Bart

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
fxr4mikey said:
I have a 2000 FXR4, LOVE IT TOO !!!

It's a GREAT RIDE and handles far better than my buddies Street Bob.

Anyway, my question on the shocks is this .....
What after market shocks might I consider to make the ride just a bit smoother ?

On the rear I have the pre-load set to about the middle most of the time. If I think I'm going to be riding hard I'll crank the pre-load to the max.

Even when the pre-load is set to the middle or higher I often bottom out. I am 5'9" and weigh in at 175 pounds.

There is no way to keep from hitting bottom when my wife rides with me .... and man it hits hard too !

Thanks for any suggestions

Mikey

Welcome to the Forum.

You should get plenty of responses about shocks. I like "Works Performance" shocks as they are built specifically for you - your weight, passenger load, and riding style. I have their "dual rate" shocks as they give a great ride overall.

Another thing to consider, is that after you improve the rear suspension, you will see how much you need to improve the front suspension. I like the "Works Performance" dual rate fork springs as they give a smooth ride but greatly reduce brake dive during hard stops.

The Works Performance web site also has instructions on setting preload and sag on both the front and rear suspension.

Link below:

http://www.worksperformance.com/

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the WELCOME, and the tips on forks and shocks

THANKS for the Welcome and pointers.

So, if I were to go with the progressive springs for the front, is this something that I can do myself ?

I'm pretty good with tools, especially woodworking tools :)
But I'm generally not afraid to take on a challenge.
Since I've never messed around with motors and such very much I don't know what's involved with changing the springs in the forks.

How big a job is it ?
Pretty messy ? Do I have to change the fork oil too ?
Do the forks have to come off the bike to do it ?

Thanks in advance !

Mikey

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
It's a pretty straight forward procedure. but it helps having a manual around when doing any work on your bike.
the main thing you want to do BEFORE you remove the forks from the triple tree, is remove the wheel and fender, then loosen allen bolts in the BOTTOM of the forks. these were hidden by your axle. if you remove the forks first, and then try to loosen these puppies, you'll have a hard time. Just break them loose, then remove the forks, and continue.
while your installing the new springs, it's always a good idea to replace your fork oil also.
there is a thread out here somewhere that describes the whole procedure and also has pictures to help you out.
good luck

Bart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts