V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off what a great forum with a TON of info. for H.D.s, Doc, HDwrench, (just to name a few) wow I am envious of the knowledge you two have.
I am confused as to why a 88" bike with a carb has a MAP? I assume this from this post:

2003 RoadKing 83.5 HP & 96.9 TQ
88 Cubic Inch......Stock Pistons
S/E 204 Cam
S/E II slip-ons
S/E 44mm C/V Carb
S/E Adjustable Map Ignition
S/E Air Filter Kit
Stock Compression
Big Boyz Heads by Bruce Bean
Built and tuned by Clayton and Jamie, students in the Screamin' Eagle II Program MMI Orlando Florida

I have an 05 HSTC and have been lurking tryin to gain a few extra ponies to pull my lard butt down the road a little better. Thanks for any input.. Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts
Keeping it very simple, it sends engine load information to the ignition module or ICM, so it can adjust the ignition curve to the actual load.

In the old days they had VOES which was a simple vacuum/load dependent on/off switch, MAP sensor is the variable modern version.
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
Chuck K. said:
First off what a great forum with a TON of info. for H.D.s, Doc, HDwrench, (just to name a few) wow I am envious of the knowledge you two have.
I am confused as to why a 88" bike with a carb has a MAP?
If ya have an after market ignition the only reason to have a map on a carbed bike is in case yer lost...:whistle:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
If ya have an after market ignition the only reason to have a map on a carbed bike is in case yer lost...:whistle:
Please explain that statement ....what does an aftemarket unit like the DTT on my night train use for engine load then ???? Or the DTT on your bike for that matter... ALL those standard curves 1 through 9 ...with the charts showing MAP vs RPM.
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
SYCLONE said:
Please explain that statement ....what does an aftemarket unit like the DTT on my night train use for engine load then ???? Or the DTT on your bike for that matter... ALL those standard curves 1 through 9 ...with the charts showing MAP vs RPM.
As Foghorn Leghorn would say...it's a joke son...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
As Foghorn Leghorn would say...it's a joke son...
Boy..did that one go right over my head !!!...need to up to dose on the Ginkoba for improved awareness and memory and some other crap I can't remember right now.
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
SYCLONE said:
Boy..did that one go right over my head !!!...need to up to dose on the Ginkoba for improved awareness and memory and some other crap I can't remember right now.
Grayrider could tell ya the concoction his wife gives him...if he could remember it...:hmmm:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys, seems I have an aweful lot to learn as I have been away from bikes for about 15 years. As an ex auto mechanic years ago maps and bmaps applied to EFI and feedback carbs motors.
Just like modified jeeps, and performance diesel trucks looks like I had better start working more overtime..:beer:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
HIPPO said:
Keeping it very simple, it sends engine load information to the ignition module or ICM, so it can adjust the ignition curve to the actual load.

In the old days they had VOES which was a simple vacuum/load dependent on/off switch, MAP sensor is the variable modern version.
Do you happen to recall when they switched over from the VOES switch Hippo? Seems I've heard that term used in the twin cam sections, so I'm just wondering if my bike has the VOES or a MAP sensor. Might be that the "old school" wrenches are just throwing out the term VOES because they are all familiar with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts
When they switched from the EVO to the TC on the carb bikes.
The MM's had a MAP, but on them it was a secondary input for correction only as it is not a load based system.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top