V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is a great board, I can basically get information on just about everything Harley on here. NICE!!!! ;)

Wondering if you guys can offer some suggestions, I am thinking of getting a used Harley somewhere in the $16,000 price range. Preferably anywhere from 2000 through 2003. Only thing is, I can't decide whether to go with the softail or the Dyna. Which one do you guys think and why.

Thanx

Karmic Dude.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome, karmic.

Your question should generate some strong opinions. :D EVERYONE thinks the model he/she rides is the best.

What kind of riding do you have planned? Touring? Bar hopping? How many miles per day?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Welcome to The Forum.

You asked a loaded question my friend. My answer is simply this. To hell with what ANYONE else thinks, what do YOU think?

$16k between the years 00 to 03 ( strike the last one ) will place you buying from a private party.

You may want to consider checking Ebay to get some ideas of what things are going for.

If you need any help, other than what model is right for YOU let us know.

Again, Welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried looking at the ebay prices, but they appear to be all over the place. I mean, I saw some prices that were way too high. I might end up with the Softail anyways.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Whats the prices of new FXD's OTD around where you live? 16 large should do it if you get one close to msrp. From a good dealer that could just about get a FLHT but you want a Softail or Dyna.

The Dyna's (FXD) has alot of what you are wanting.
Any Softail has better styling than a FXD, but at what expence?

As stated get what you want but if your looking for a bike that gives you many options handles well at all speeds and can take you to Cal & back for the least money get the FXD.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
IMHO, the FXD family is more suitable for ridin' and the softtail line is more suitable for customizing. That comment should certainly P/O just about 70% of the folks on the Forum.

If you want to ride around town, a Softail would be a good choice. My friend FifthGear rides a Dyna on cross country adventures. My friend KrazyGG prefers the comfort of a full dresser for such rides. Both of these gents are regular H/D Forum contributors. And both are back from recent extended rides. However, there are riders out there who regularly take their Softails for longer spins. Again, IMHO a rubber mounted bike is more suitable for longer rides than a rigid mounted.

We have Forum members who are very happy with their Sporsters. Indeed, I've known riders who've taken Sporties on 1500 mile trips. We have Forum members who take their V-Rods on extended rides.

Bikes are very personal. I agree with JimmyK on this. It really doesn't matter what I like. Or what some other person likes. What do YOU like? What will make you happy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your replies, I'll browse some of the clasifieds on cycle trader as suggested by Oaktown just to et an idea. And I def. agree with you pasadenajim regarding the rubber mounted for the longer trips. It is something to take into cosideration.

Man, I just can't wait to get my ride!!! :cool:

·
Registered
544 Posts
The two bikes you are asking about are fairly close, but different. Those were the two types of bikes I was looking at and what I found to be useful was to rent one of each for a day or two. Once you ride them for a while, make some notes about what you thought about each, at that time, or you might forget. A lot of H-D Dealers are offering rental programs and since neither has really changed a lot between 00-03, you should be able to make a fair comparison.

I rented a Night Train and a Wide Glide, the choice is very personal, and you’ll need to decide which one is right for you, don’t go one what someone else thinks. 16K is still a lot of money you want to make the right choice, the first time.

I, myself, just got the bug for the V-Rod and have been very happy with it. But I wasn't able to rent one before putting money down so I read everything I could on it before I purchased. But you might want to pick up articles on each one and see what the Magazines think of each model.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Dave

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Kags said:
What do you think about your V-Rods slow speed handling ? Comparied to a FXWG and a FXST(nightrain)? I know you love the power!
:eek: That is one Blasphemous statement you just made there!
whispering..............(don't ya know they NEVER go slow!) Slow? SLOW? WHO the FVCK said SLOOOOWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi Kegs,

Can't speak for all the V-Rods, on the board, but I haven't had any problems, beside I don't ride much at low speed. But on a serious note I rode in the 4th of July parade and didn't have any problems. Now walking it you do notice the thing does have a long wheel base, but it's rolls real easy, with the low center of weight and only 600 pounds it's fairly well mannered at low speeds.

Dave

·
Registered
906 Posts
Kag,
I'm not sure what you're implying by "slow speed handling", the V-Rod doesn't seem to have any *issues* that I'm aware of with slow speeds.
Been to many runs/parades this year and have logged 7400miles since April -the only handling quirk the V-Rod has is at highway speed. Crosswinds can move you around quite a bit, but not enough to make it dangerous or make me stay home. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts