V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y'all!
I purchased an '04 XLR1200 last March. It had just over 1k miles on it. The previous owner had done some mods to it. He changed the seat, moved the controls forward, added an engine guard, and changed the exhaust and intake some. He put on SE slip-ons and the SE intake kit. I have since added an oil cooler, windshield, and tank bra. The bike gets lousy mileage, it's averaging about 35 mpg. My buddies, who know more of such things than I, say that the bike is running rich and needs to be leaned out. Other than that, the bike runs and rides great.

Now that the weather is turning cold, I was thinking about leaning the fuel mixture. The problem is that the HD manual does not mention how to do this. And I have not done this before. So, would you guys be kind enough to show me where I can find this information?

I am new to this site. And, yes, I have searched for this information here, but have not yet found it. So, please excuse me if I post this under the wrong forum.

Thanks to all in advance.

Regards,
Claudio

·
fatbillscustoms
157 Posts

·
Banned
873 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Fatbill's instructions seem complete. If you have even the slightest mechanical aptitude, it should be easy. For more good info, search here: http://www.sportster.org/tech/

It's a pretty easy job. I use a 45 slow/180 main, with SE II slip on muffs. I get 50mpg on any given day.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fatbill & Homerr!

I printed the instructions and got me something to do that will keep me out of the kitchen for Thanksgiving.

Thanks again for your help.
Claudio

·
Bugs
47 Posts
Homarr, you're getting better than I am. My 06 XL1200C has 500 miles on it and I did the Stage 1 at 200. California bikes come with a 42 and a 185 stock. I went with a 45 and 190 (to give it just a little richer than stock). It has SE II cutoffs and SE AC. I'm using the Yost kit: blue needle and no change to the clip and washer as it comes, which is on the lean side of the curve I think. Bike runs very much better, especially at low rpms BUT no matter how I tweak the slow jet mixture I get slight raggedness at around 950 - 1000 rpm and 45 - 48 mpg on the road. I'd shim for a little richer mix, but the mileage leads me to think not. What's the altitude where you ride ?

·
Banned
873 Posts
bclerk said:
Homarr, you're getting better than I am. My 06 XL1200C has 500 miles on it and I did the Stage 1 at 200. California bikes come with a 42 and a 185 stock. I went with a 45 and 190 (to give it just a little richer than stock). It has SE II cutoffs and SE AC. I'm using the Yost kit: blue needle and no change to the clip and washer as it comes, which is on the lean side of the curve I think. Bike runs very much better, especially at low rpms BUT no matter how I tweak the slow jet mixture I get slight raggedness at around 950 - 1000 rpm and 45 - 48 mpg on the road. I'd shim for a little richer mix, but the mileage leads me to think not. What's the altitude where you ride ?
It's anywhere between 500' - 1000' above sea level around here. But I don't think that has much to do with it. I put most of my miles on between 35mph and 55mph. 50mpg is just an average. If I use the interstate to go anywhere, I'll usually get something like 45-48mpg. Speed seems to really make the difference in my gas mileage.

·
Bugs
47 Posts
Homarr said:
It's anywhere between 500' - 1000' above sea level around here. But I don't think that has much to do with it. I put most of my miles on between 35mph and 55mph. 50mpg is just an average. If I use the interstate to go anywhere, I'll usually get something like 45-48mpg. Speed seems to really make the difference in my gas mileage.
Ahhh. 65-70 mph is the norm for my trips. I'm gonna quit fiddlin' with it. When it gets more miles I'll set it up using a dyno and I'll post the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts