V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Got Jet Fuel ?
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a an 05 fxsti, and this thing is Dog slow, I came from the world of crotch rockets .but any ways thats another story..
i have purchased 95 inch cylinders, I'm going with R&R stage 4 heads with a 2 into 1 supertrapp exhaust. i have SE251cams, a " man at the end of the bar"
shoots from the hip and states i wont be happy with those cams.. Is he right?
all advice is welcome before i tear into this motor this weekend.

·
Got Jet Fuel ?
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yes i already have my copy of Sert .
Im looking for 100 +hp
i'm using je forged hi compression pistons.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
heliopilot said:
yes i already have my copy of Sert .
Im looking for 100 +hp
i'm using je forged hi compression pistons.
If yer looking to go 160+ 4gedaboudit...it yer lookin' to crack the volumn and go you want torque...you need to do some serious reading...search cams...

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
100/100 is not hard to hit, suggest you think hard about where you want it and how you REALLY like to ride. Easy to start chasing dyno numbers.

A lot of good posts on cams here and if you pm people on their builds, you'll generally get answers. Good luck!

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
100 /100 what rpm range?? for bottom end numbers with stroking or splitting the cases a 98 in ch kit 37g cam and stage I heads will get you there. 98 kits will build very good tq numbers at low rpm and keeeeeeeeep on pulling. That build above will make close to 100 tq at 2500 ( 97.9 on last build) not so much the number but where it is at. That amount of tq at 2500 with out crazy cams roller rockers, adjustable pushrods, or any major head work ends up being a fairly easy on the pocket book build and can be done in most garages with a few buddys to help if needed. THe 95 kit works well with a 26 or 37 cam again easy on the budget due to the fact you do not need bunches of other items. Take care, p.s. do som e research on old post you are going to find plenty to read.

·
Got Jet Fuel ?
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After doing many many searches for cams i'm still on the fence. The company R&R Cycle recommends the andrews 60a cams as a proven matches to their stage 4 heads. this combo exceeds my hp requirements .they will even give me the corresponding map files, for the application,
However i'm sitting on a set of SE251 cams, and the cam profiles are somewhat similer, and I was thinking i could save myself $300, by using these. Am i just being pound foolish by not listening to the pro's who do this for a living?
thanks to all those who reply.

and i will be going with the lower gearing also....

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I got 251's in a 04 bagger and it RIPPS!!!! I could not be
happier. I built it, broke it in and did three pulls on a dyno-jet
150 and got 95.6hp and 99tq. We did not adjust carb or ign.
I am waiting to find a dyno with a sniffer before I spend
more money on tuning. It's all in the combo !!! 93 ft lbs
@3000 rpm's and those cams will pull on top forever!!!

R.E.D heads- int-1.900 exh-1.625
76.9 chambers
030 cometic gaskets
SE 251 cams
Mikuni 42 carb
e-pipe ( 16 disc's )
DTT ign
vpc clutch
J&E flat top 95" forged pistons

each cylinder pumps 200 CCP

combo was built around total package ( heads, cams,e-pipe)

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Helio,

Recognize that different builders will have different "paths to nirvana" - ie., be more knowledgeable of and comfortable with specific combos. Talk with the person who would do your heads and see what he recommends. Look at dynos - not for the biggest numbers -- but for the power characteristics. See if it's where you ride.

Checked out R&R on line and their packages have no specs. Not saying anything's wrong with them, but you might want to ask for more info, to see some dynos and to talk with satisfied customers.

Cams don't make the build - how all the parts work together and the care with which it's assembled , plus tuning - do. Heads do a whole lot. Re your 251s - or pretty much any similar cams - plenty of builds make plenty of power with all of them. Similarly, plenty of people have "slapped together" quality components that didn't work well together and/or weren't tuned well or weren't easy to tune.

Still, just about anything you do will be an improvement in power over stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts