V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in another forum topic, I am a newbie that is very close to finishing the MSF course. Really love it. Anyway, I just bought a 2002 XL883 Sportster today for $6,500.00 with 1188 miles on it. I pick it up this friday and can hardly wait. Just got a a few questions though:

1. What inexpensive/free hp/performance upgrades can I do immediately after getting the bike? (I have years of experience in hopping up cars, rebuilding engines, etc.)

2. What do lowering springs cost approx? Does front end need to be lowered if lowering the rear?

3. What immediate maintenance items should I perform after getting the bike home? As with all cars/trucks I have owned, I usually change the transmission/engine oil, change air filter/fuel filter, plugs etc. Just force of habit I guess.

4. Any other mods/fixes/recommendations that any other sportster owners may have.

Thanks again.:D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hello,

Congrats on the new bike. I am still waiting to get mine. Soon, soon.

From what I have been able to gather, by far the best value for power from a stock bike is to add a K&N filter, rejet the carb and add Cycle Shack slipon mufflers. The baloney cuts have removable baffles. All of this, if done probably should run less than $250 ($65 for filter, $100 for mufflers, and $70 for rejet kit). This should yeild a 20% increase in hp or about 10 ponies. This is the Stage I upgrade.

The extreme budget way, although I do not recommend, would be to drill out the stock baffles, drill a few holes in the stock air filter plate, and rejet. This is free except for the jetting needles (less than $10). I'm not sure what the numbers will yield here.

Other than that, you'll have to spend, spend, spend to get more power.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Let me add, that there are more expensive filter kits. There are more expensive mufflers and headers. The above mentioned are the budget minded options to get power. From the questions I have asked and what people have said, the Cycle Shack mufflers sound pretty damn nice and are loud enough to be on any respectable Sportster or any Harley for that matter.

:)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Rscotts1 said:
[
1. What inexpensive/free hp/performance upgrades can I do immediately after getting the bike? (I have years of experience in hopping up cars, rebuilding engines, etc.)
Free-none

2. What do lowering springs cost approx? Does front end need to be lowered if lowering the rear?

Front - around 100 bucks, new shocks 400, or rear lower kit 65 bucks
rear can be lowered with out the front but you change the T/R.

3. What immediate maintenance items should I perform after getting the bike home? As with all cars/trucks I have owned, I usually change the transmission/engine oil, change air filter/fuel filter, plugs etc. Just force of habit I guess.

1000 mile service if not done - manatory!

4. Any other mods/fixes/recommendations that any other sportster owners may have.

Any preformance upgrades cost. Knock out the plugs in the stock muffs and a new main jet (3 bucks) retune the mix screw (richen up the slow circit) and you have a near free sound & slight preformance mod.
883 is easy to out grow, if your power hungry a $750 >1200 upgrade will be on the books one day.

·
Banned
55 Posts
You sound like you have the mechanical knowledge!

I have a 2002 883 custom

Vance & hines pipes
Screamin eagle Air Cleaner
Rejetted myself

Just performed the 1200 conversion my self for less than $500.00

Engine knowledge with a manual goes along way

Ride Safe, Wango

·
Registered
193 Posts
A note on the Cycle Shacks...

Extensive dyno testing was done by some of the guys at Sportster.org for pipes and mufflers. Around 15 different sets were tested. The Cycle Shack slip-ons had the highest avg. horsepower tested. What I mean is there were a few that peaked higher hp numbers, but the Cycle Shacks had the highest avg hp throughout the curve, with no loss of torque. Best bang for the buck hands down. Plus they sound nasty and bitchin'. If you want a 2 into 2 with no crossover, then Vance and Hines Straightshots or Kromewerks or Hooker or there are a few other choices (well more than a few.) Figure on 350-400 bones if you change the whole exaust.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Kags, I did not do any head mods. Used stock 883 heads

Probably should have

Also a note on the exhaust, 1st set of pipes were Cycle Shack and i could feel more torque in lower rpms. The V&H were put on for the sound that i wanted.

Wango

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Wango, I do all my own stuff too and I am running stock cams . Next time you head south let me know & Ill let you check out & see how well I do in my home shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 01 sportster 883 and wanna lower it....i heard i can loosen the triple trees and lower it that way....suggestions recommendations.....message me thank u :)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Being that your a new rider I would suggest leaving it alone and just ride the snot out of it. After you have the skills to safely utilize any performance upgrades then modify it. That said I had a sporty and hands down just gut the stock mufflers and bore out to 1.5 inches the rear cones in the mufflers I cut mine open with a sawsall and then welded them back together took out everything once this is done change the low and high speed jets accordingly. And the biggest gain is to rev it like a foreign bike. The sporty will out wind any other Harley motor out there trust me shift that sucker at like 6k all day mine would pull the wheel off the ground between the first two gears keep up with the oil changes and enjoy the hell out of it. Be safe and have a blast!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Oh Arron why would you lower it? Put Avon venoms on it and lean. The last thing any Harley needs is to be lower at least if handling is wanted. I scraped mine up at the stock height. And unless your short forward controls are mandatory.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello from Redcar England.
Get used to changing the oil and filter it will make you fell good and make the bike last longer.
Up grades, this bike goes real well if you get your jugs bored out to 1200. Derestrict the air flow with a K&n or similar and a good two into one zorst and jobs a good un Thats in simple terms there is a lot more you can do. Have fun doing your research.
tbone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have a 01 sportster 883 and wanna lower it....i heard i can loosen the triple trees and lower it that way....suggestions recommendations.....message me thank u :)
i agree with arcangel , ride the snot out of it for a while then consider what changes you might want to make.. you might find the stock set up suites you... in any case ride hard ride often you'll find yourself making much better choices in which upgrades you make or dont make and prob save a lot of cash in the process..

·
Registered
487 Posts
aaron 883 revived it wanting to lower his 883. He should have started a new topic

1 - 18 of 18 Posts