V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
1st post... complete newb here so flame while you can!
:)

Here's the deal:
A friend of the family has a 1993 Heritage Softail that he had customized.
He's the original owner, so this is like his child. Other projects that have come along have forced him to think of selling his bike but, #1 he's not sure if he wants to & #2, he tells me that he's put A LOT of money into it (could over $30 K be real?) & isn't even sure what he'd ask or what he'd even get.

From these pics, what would you more or less place the Bike at?

Enjoy the pics & thanks,

*SS*

(Admis: I put this here because the bike is a Softail, but if it's in the wrong section, PLEASE move thread at will) thnx

·
Registered
312 Posts
He might have 30k in it. but it isn't worth anywhere near that much. Unless there is alot of engine work i would think 30K is a stretch. I diffently wouldn't pay more than a new bike. At 10 years old it would depend alot on the condition of the motor, how many miles, and whether it looked like it was taken care of. To me service records mean alot on a 10 year old bike. But I want to ride them and not wash them. Just my opinion, maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THIS is VERY good info guys. Thanks.

You live & learn. It seems that the owner of this bike is going to have to
do just that. He never expected to get back the money he invested
because he never even considered selling it in the future.

So, because of this, he of course kept the bike in tip top shape & always
took care of it but never thought of keeping records & such.
A VERY expensive lesson for him to learn.

It's funny though becuase everyone I've shown the bike to LOVES it
instantly... like I do, & the more I look at it & talk about it, the more I
want to do something crazy...
Like offer him something reasonable (affordable to me of course) while
still allowing him the chance to ride it whenever he comes down to Miami
(he lives in NY).
The only thing stopping me though is that this would be EXTREMELY
financially risky for me.

All in all though, what do you guys think of the bike?
A beaut, huh?

Thanks again,

*SS*

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
SS, the trouble with used, customized bikes is they are usually very personal. Keep in mind that HD has made a LOT of improvements to its motorcycles in the last 10 years. I don't follow softtails (have a road king) but the new engines are twin cam "balanced" 88s, transmissions are different, fuel injection is available, blablablabla (there maybe improvents to brakes, clutches and other stuff???). Sometimes, these are the type of things you figure out After you by a bike and start paying more attention to the specifics of particular years. Harleys are particularly misleading in that a 10 year old bike Looks just like a new one to a newcomer, just isn't.

Not suggesting it couldn't be a good bike or a good deal, just remember, its like buying a 10 year old car in many aspects.

good luck, greg

·
Registered
985 Posts
Stop by Peterson's HD north miami store and compare prices .
The thing about customizing, you're pretty much sinking the money in it to satisfy yourself, as each person is different. $30k maybe, but it is only worth $30k to him. South FL prices would put it around ~$14k. It is ten years old. It can't have too much motor work, because it has a hypercharger on it.
Seriously go check out the new bikes. For around $20k out the door including $1500 in accessories, you'd be better off, me thinks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Personally, I'd buy a new one for a lot less money with current technology, better engine etc. This is your buddie's custom dream - and by the looks of it he has spent a ton of $$ on it. Buy the miles - not the chrome. BigG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot for the help guys.

& it's great to see someone from South FL on here.
I'll check out Peterson's & thanks for the info Chops.

*SS*

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The key here for me is TEN YEARS. That's a lot of time on the road for me. How many miles? Look close, is the chrome scratched up, paint chipped, wear and tear is a *****. And how many bikes have you tried? This is a major purchase and you don't want to find that you really wanted a Deuce or Springer after you buy that TEN YR OLD bike. But this may be just what ya need??? Take a look around at the new bikes. After you test ride a couple, you might see things in a better light. O ya, the bike is only worth what someone will pay for it. Not what you have in it. But from the looks of that ride I'd guess about 15G's or so. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts