V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this thread is not in the correct forum category, please let me know so I can move it to the correct place.

Recently, I’ve read comments which remind me of a shirt my wife recently saw. The shirt said ‘there are more bikes than bikers.’ Which got us to wonder just what is ‘a biker.’ From our limited experience, we have observed that cruiser riders are: courteous, friendly, helpful, interested in our ride, helpful, polite, very generous both with suggestions and comments, accepting of new riders (like us), and always willing to answer my newbie questions about riding. If our experience is the norm, bikers are simply great people. Yes, we understand there will be some outliers, riders who don't fit our observations. But we’ve yet to meet any. To each one of you who we've met either in person or on this forum, we owe you a great amount of respect, for you certainly show it by your actions. Thank you all.

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
A biker is one who rides a bike. All the alternative definitions are just blowhards contributing to global warming with their gaseous emissions ...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
We're all bikers to some degree...some are more rider, others are more owner...just keep in mind that there are jerks in every crowd...don't let the few ruin the view of many.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
swmnkdinthervr said:
We're all bikers to some degree...some are more rider, others are more owner...just keep in mind that there are jerks in every crowd...don't let the few ruin the view of many.
I'm just too old to let someone spoil my fun!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
MegaGlide said:
I'm an avid motorcycle enthusiast, m'self...
I like that description Mega.

I tell people I own a motorcycle and enjoy riding it and am not a biker. I think many people think of a biker as someone who is more on the undesirable side of our society and I don't see myself falling in that category.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
brownjams said:
I like that description Mega.

I tell people I own a motorcycle and enjoy riding it and am not a biker. I think many people think of a biker as someone who is more on the undesirable side of our society and I don't see myself falling in that category.
Don't get me wrong, I'm plenty undesirable....

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've found over the years that, there are PLENTY of jerks who do NOT ride a motorcycle....:blink:

Trying to define "WHAT" a "BIKER" is takes up too much of my riding time...so I don't bother! :duh?:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
"a biker without a bike is just another citizen" a quote from some bike magazine about 25 years ago. that's how i see it too.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I still say if your average ride is 2 miles to the bar and back, you are NOT a biker....You are a motorcycle collector....or worse. :flames:

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
brownjams said:
I tell people I own a motorcycle and enjoy riding it and am not a biker.
I've stopped telling people I own a motorcycle. Every time I tell someone they immediately go into a long speech about how their brother/uncle/father/son/friend/co-worker/whoever was hurt/killed/maimed/whatever by a motorcycle. jeesh! I've just given up telling anyone.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
What I've noticed on most forums is that the definition of a "biker" is one that seems to include the definer. I think the "old school" definition of "biker" would be someone who either doesn't own or much use a cage, is somewhat undesireable (good term Mega), rides a lot, and is an "outlaw" of sorts. This type of "old school" definition describes few current Harley riders (as much as they strain to appear as such) and better describes young crotch rocket club patch holders. . .And what's funny is. . . .We HD riders don't like 'em!!!!

IndianaSteve said:
I've stopped telling people I own a motorcycle. Every time I tell someone they immediately go into a long speech about how their brother/uncle/father/son/friend/co-worker/whoever was hurt/killed/maimed/whatever by a motorcycle. jeesh! I've just given up telling anyone.
:roflback: @gree:When people give me that bull$hit I don't have time to explain the history of depression in my family, a father who never enjoyed anything, never grinned from ear to ear, and that I'd much rather live shorter and happier than longer and more miserably. Besides, too many pork chops kill a lot more folks than bikes!

Lefty
'05 FatBoy (Jolene the Widowmaker!)

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
a person who lives his life without worrying what others think, not bringing harm to others, minding his own bussiness, supports his family, shrugs off a bad day to enjoy tomorrow, is the same person on or off a motorcycle, defends his rights to be himself,etc.
in other words he/she is real, not a poser with a motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I don't care how many miles you ride, if you trailered your bike to Daytona or rode it, if you wear full leather or a shirt and tie, if you have tattoos or not, whether you've been riding since you were 5 or if you just started riding at 50, if you ride 3000 miles a year or 30,000 miles a year or whether you ride a Harley or a Honda, BMW, Yamaha or whatever, if you ride because you enjoy riding then you're a biker. If you ride to fit an image or just because it is fashionable or because all your buddies got a bike I don't care what you look like or how many miles you ride you'll never be a biker.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
An old quote, not mine but I believe it.
"Harley Davidson riders are a dime a dozen. Bikers are a rare and dying breed".

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
utrvp said:
I don't care how many miles you ride, if you trailered your bike to Daytona or rode it, if you wear full leather or a shirt and tie, if you have tattoos or not, whether you've been riding since you were 5 or if you just started riding at 50, if you ride 3000 miles a year or 30,000 miles a year or whether you ride a Harley or a Honda, BMW, Yamaha or whatever, if you ride because you enjoy riding then you're a biker. If you ride to fit an image or just because it is fashionable or because all your buddies got a bike I don't care what you look like or how many miles you ride you'll never be a biker.
thats what i was tryin to say!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Put myself in the same category. I'll stop and salivate over a beat up 1980 Kawasaki 125 - love them all.

Um, 'cept Mopeds

MegaGlide said:
I'm an avid motorcycle enthusiast, m'self...

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Hear, hear!

utrvp said:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts