V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys newbie here just got my 99 fxd. It has the forward controls which I want to replace with mid controls. I also want to do a chain conversion (for wheelies;) Where would be a good place to start looking for stuff like this? I also want to get some bars maybe some suspension stuff
IMG_20200525_152105.jpg
IMG_20200525_152057.jpg
IMG_20200525_152051.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Here's a place you can go to check for what exactly came as stock for your year and model. But don't think you can just go browsing their parts list all day. They kicked me out and banned me for like 2 weeks or a month once because they thought I was a competitor trying to steal their info, jumping from one page to another

Once you learn how Harley Davidson parts numbers are organized, you'll see that lots of stuff has been used for many years and models. If you find something that comes off say, a 96 Superglide and the parts numbers match, they're the same things used on a 99 Superglide. When you buy your 99 Dyna Service manual from the dealership, you can also purchase your very own copy of the Official parts manual. It will have everything with numbers to aide in your search for the parts you need to retrofit whatever you want. Just the quick search I made showed the pegs, brackets, and shifting and braking stuff was the same. But do your own research and don't quote me on it.

You'll also see that the Moco made a lot of improvements over the years, and some later stuff will also bolt right up. It's almost like getting a new bike. Just have to do your research. There are places in the online auctions that sell good used stuff for good prices. Sometimes you can get whole assemblies, makes things easy. They are usually takeoffs from bikes that were salvaged after someone dropped their bike, or did something like follow too close and ran into the back of someone.

I will tell you though, unless you are something like 5'9" or less, you won't be too happy with the leg room you get with the mid controls. That can be eased somewhat by adding the Highway pegs up front. Lots of options.

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
that is good advice to you.. there wont be a chain conversion though.. try J&P,, V-twin (tedd's cycle),, and baker for the chain conversion..

o

·
Registered
532 Posts
Way back when, you could get a big pile of thick catalogs, from places like Drag Specialties, Custom Chrome, Chrome Specialties, Tedds, etc. They come out with a new one every year. I think they've all been combined. Or, maybe not. And since it seems everybody has a smart phone mounted on the end of their nose nowadays, all that stuff has gone online. Until you get it out of your system, you can spend lots of time going over all the different possibilities.
Look up the Fat Book, Parts Unlimited, Hard Drive. And don't forget J&Ps, Dennis Kirk, and others. If you have a favorite Indy, that you have a good relationship with, he'll probably let you go through his hard copies. Probably won't let you see his price list.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

Lots of good advice already given & rootintootin is dead-on. Do your homework and you'll learn a lot plus have fun doing it.

FWIW, unless you're going to be doing gear swaps, you might reconsider the necessity of going to chain. Those belts are tough and kept properly adjusted last a loooong time. I had over 100 passes at the strip and zero problems with the belt - and Harley even used them on the Destroyer. Your's is 3/4" too IIRC, which is wider. Given its age and your intent to pound on it, you might inspect/replace it with a newer kevlar - or whatever super material they're using now - and save your cash for other mods. My $.02 FWIW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the new bike!

Lots of good advice already given & rootintootin is dead-on. Do your homework and you'll learn a lot plus have fun doing it.

FWIW, unless you're going to be doing gear swaps, you might reconsider the necessity of going to chain. Those belts are tough and kept properly adjusted last a loooong time. I had over 100 passes at the strip and zero problems with the belt - and Harley even used them on the Destroyer. Your's is 3/4" too IIRC, which is wider. Given its age and your intent to pound on it, you might inspect/replace it with a newer kevlar - or whatever super material they're using now - and save your cash for other mods. My $.02 FWIW.
Thanks!! Yeah once I realized how involved replacing the front gear is I reconsidered. I got a set of mid controls I'm putting on and in the process of checking the cam tensioners. Then I'll be comfortable beating on it. Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Way back when, you could get a big pile of thick catalogs, from places like Drag Specialties, Custom Chrome, Chrome Specialties, Tedds, etc. They come out with a new one every year. I think they've all been combined. Or, maybe not. And since it seems everybody has a smart phone mounted on the end of their nose nowadays, all that stuff has gone online. Until you get it out of your system, you can spend lots of time going over all the different possibilities.
Look up the Fat Book, Parts Unlimited, Hard Drive. And don't forget J&Ps, Dennis Kirk, and others. If you have a favorite Indy, that you have a good relationship with, he'll probably let you go through his hard copies. Probably won't let you see his price list.
Thank you for the advice! I decided on the mid controls with highway pegs for comfort. Got them from a local guy for a good price!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey guys does anyone know where I can get like a bak pedal extension. I have a fat boy and it has kuryakans hypercharger on it. You can barely get your leg around it to touch the brake pedal now. This is now my wife’s bike and she really needs it. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
16,581 Posts
Hey guys does anyone know where I can get like a bak pedal extension. I have a fat boy and it has kuryakans hypercharger on it. You can barely get your leg around it to touch the brake pedal now. This is now my wife’s bike and she really needs it. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Brian
Easier to dump the hypercharger.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Do you need to go forward or out? Lots of options out there. I watch the local Craigslist, EBay and FB Marketplace for parts like that. Some people buy the extended pedal and don't like it and that's where they end up.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Thanks
Brian
try a kurykayn longhorn brake pedal pad , its a little longer than stock makes it a little easier to get your foot on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts