V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Butch in Connecticut
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!

Can anyone tell me what is legal in New York??? reflectorized helmet? How many Square inches of material? What color and so forth???

If this is not the correct forum for this question, I apologize in advance.

Butch

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
i wouldn't worry

bigfish3 said:
Help!!

Can anyone tell me what is legal in New York??? reflectorized helmet? How many Square inches of material? What color and so forth???

If this is not the correct forum for this question, I apologize in advance.

i think it is 2 sq inches rear and sides.i can't speak for any other agency,but 99% of the cops in nyc wouldn't know that is on the books! I've got a reflectorized flag on the rear of my helmet.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Here is the section of New York Law. We have one officer in our town who will write a ticket for the helmet. He is a rider himself, but will write tickets for non Dot Helmets and no reflectors.

Section 54.5 Reflector requirements.
Each protective helmet approved by the commissioner shall have a reflectorized surface or have securely affixed thereto
reflectorized material on both the left and right side of such helmet. Such reflectorization must cover an area of at least
four square inches on each side of the helmet. If reflectorized material is attached to the helmet, it must be affixed with
a suitable permanent, weather-proof and water-resistent adhesive substance.

·
Butch in Connecticut
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx!

all I have to do now is come up with some reflector tape and apply it to the DOT approved lids we already own.

I saw some reflector American Flag Decal on Ebay that might be just right for the job!

Cheers,
Butch

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
So, if you are from out of state and decide to ride in New York, do you require the reflective material on your helment? I know your own state laws do not apply for not wearing a helment, but having to have one with reflectors seams a bit much if you are just passing through.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
Anytime you roll into a state you are required to meet ALL their laws. BUT, I highly doubt an officer would cite you, how can they expect you to know that NY is gay about their helmets? They really can't.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Anytime you roll into a state you are required to meet ALL their laws. BUT, I highly doubt an officer would cite you, how can they expect you to know that NY is gay about their helmets? They really can't.
Gay about helmets? What the hell does that mean? The correct word would be anal. (I guess that could be related to gay).

Who knows what a cop will write. I suppose it would depend on his attitude.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have bought 3 helmets, well, I bought 2 and my wife bought 1, in the past 2 years. 1 was from a Kawi dealer and the other 2 from HD. NONE of them have anything on them. I took the MSF class 20 months ago and was taught that the law requiring it had been recinded because the legal eagles couldn't decide what was in our best intrest. I do know that it still appears on the books, but I don't have any and dont know anyone who has a helmet that is less than 10 years old around here that does.

Is there anyone out there who rides here in NY that knows of anyone being hassled about this? I'm not putting anything on mine until I hear different. Screw that.

·
Registered
393 Posts
New Jersey requires reflector material also. A while back I found some black reflective flame decals. Not very noticeable during the day and if you see them what the hell, they are flames. Light up real well at night when light hits them.
Applied Graphics is the company but the web site is www.reflectivedecals.com
They have other stuff too.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I've riden in NY for the last 20 years w/o any reflecterized stickers on any of my helmets. Never had any LEO say 1 word about my helmet. I was pulled over at 2am for no taillight once, but no mention about the helmet.

·
Butch in Connecticut
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didnt mean to start a huge controversy over this. My main concern was rolling just over the border to a New Rochelle HD dealer. If there is a reflector required in NY, I would imagine that the border of the 2 states is just exaclty where the PD will be haning out to check.

Here in CT, there was just a statewide noise ordinance that was passed, I expect the the PD on this side will be checking for that as well.

I dont know all the details as yet, but the comments I have heard so far are that if they hear you coming, you will get a ticket!

We dont require a helmet in Connecticut, but at almost evert other border it is required.

I will just go ahead and order some kind of sticker to comply.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
NJ requires 4 sq." on each side of the helmet.

·
03FLHRI,84XLH,52ArielVHA
556 Posts
I lived in Rochester for several decades and never once was stopped for not having reflectors on the side of my helmet. I do recall that back around 69 or 70 when the law was implemented there was a short time when it was enrforced.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
flags

bigfish3 said:
Thanx!

all I have to do now is come up with some reflector tape and apply it to the DOT approved lids we already own.

I saw some reflector American Flag Decal on Ebay that might be just right for the job!

Cheers,
Butch
try www.galls.com they sell 3 types of reflectorized flags.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I've lived in N.J. my whole life and the only time my helmet had reflector's or a face shield was to go to inspection. The rest of the time those just sat on the garage wall until the next time.
JTS

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
wehohl said:
Gay about helmets? What the hell does that mean? The correct word would be anal. (I guess that could be related to gay).

Who knows what a cop will write. I suppose it would depend on his attitude.
Sorry, I didn't mean to hit a sore spot.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to hit a sore spot.
Not a sore spot. Just thought it was an odd way to use the term for something that is screwed up. Thanks for your concern. I guess I am showing my age.

In North Tonawanda, NY, there is a cop here that will write you for no reflectors or not having DOT Helmet. I have heard of no others being ticketed for reflectors except for Nathan (Police Officer). Just stating the facts as I am aware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In North Tonawanda, NY, there is a cop here that will write you for no reflectors or not having DOT Helmet.
As stated earlier in this chat: the requirement for reflective tape has been in effect since the late '60s. Either way, in the 47 years that my father has rode he has never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts