V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
That's a cool piece of engineering. Will it fit to standard (S&S style) gears or only to Wood cams?
Similar to what you see on today's Ducatis, silent and precise. The tensioner could be a wear item though.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I would love to see an exploded diagram of the whole thing. Looks interesting...

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
That would solve the problem with one of the cam chains .. but I'm wondering about the other one.

John

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Gears inside.............
Yeah I wondered about gears .. but I guess I was thinking that they're probably trying to improve over what's currently available.

Ie, why would that be better than running 2 sets of gears, other than being a little quieter?

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Being quieter would be the only benefit I can see. Gears, possibly a bit of a whine?? but a Belt, still using a tensioner??, and gears on the other?? replacement, stretch??? I take the mild gear whine. And with some time and fiddling that can be eliminated

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
ViennaHog, yes I know those belts are tough. Yes, I know it should work on engines with excessive pinion runout. No, I haven't taken my meds. :duh?:
Harleys have some excentric valvetrain harmonics and even more so with the jerking imposed by excess runout. I guess time will tell if this system will stand up .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hhhmm...Using gears, the rear cam spins backwards. Using belt and gears the front cam'd have to spin backwards...unless front and rear gear drive cams are used and their locations are switched. Is that how it's done? My son's comment "I'd sure hate to see that skinny little belt snap..Aren't gears more reliable?" He might be right.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
I just don't get it?

Why?

You are replacing 3 tensioner shoes with 1 and a belt.

If you are going to mess with it why would you choose this over the POSITIVE and PRECISE set up of gears?

I already got one belt too many as it is. I have seen MANY belts jump a tooth in my lifetime.

I trust a chain and a sprocket a he## of a lot further then ANY belt.

What is the perceived advantage, even over stock, other then quietness ?

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
LAF said:
I just don't get it?

Why?

You are replacing 3 tensioner shoes with 1 and a belt.

If you are going to mess with it why would you choose this over the POSITIVE and PRECISE set up of gears?

I already got one belt too many as it is. I have seen MANY belts jump a tooth in my lifetime.

I trust a chain and a sprocket a he## of a lot further then ANY belt.

What is the perceived advantage, even over stock, other then quietness ?
I fully agree, a nice solution to a problem that was solved previously and completely with the gear drive.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If it turns out to be reliable and no problems with the belt, I would be interested. I have gears now and they are a little noisy, I could hear my radio better

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
I have seen systems like this on ProStock Auto Engines for driving the camshaft. Has reduced weight. Reduced weight means less power is used to drive the camshafts.

Hence the saying down below by Colin Chapman.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
bigal51 said:
If it turns out to be reliable and no problems with the belt, I would be interested. I have gears now and they are a little noisy, I could hear my radio better
Well if I was going to change from gears to something else, it would be back to the stock setup.

Sell the geared cams and gears and that would more than cover your cost of new chain driven cams, and I am sure there are a bunch of stock chains and sprockets that people would give you, or sell dirt cheap.

Don't get me wrong I am sure there is merit here as this man is a very smart cookie. I run the shitz out of his cams. And this is a very nice and slick looking unit.

I just am missing it unless it is purely a noise issue. If that is it, then it on one side, and another on the primary side and you would loose a lot of noise for sure, including those hard to comprehend harmonics that exist on these "simple" machines.

Me, I listen to a lot of noise on my bike, but gear whine or primary chain slap are not two of them.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
LAF said:
Well if I was going to change from gears to something else, it would be back to the stock setup.

Sell the geared cams and gears and that would more than cover your cost of new chain driven cams, and I am sure there are a bunch of stock chains and sprockets that people would give you, or sell dirt cheap.

Don't get me wrong I am sure there is merit here as this man is a very smart cookie. I run the shitz out of his cams. And this is a very nice and slick looking unit.

I just am missing it unless it is purely a noise issue. If that is it, then it on one side, and another on the primary side and you would loose a lot of noise for sure, including those hard to comprehend harmonics that exist on these "simple" machines.

Me, I listen to a lot of noise on my bike, but gear whine or primary chain slap are not two of them.
I run stock parts and it's amazing how many people took their cams, chains and tensioners out at zero miles. I've now got 4 sets of 0 mile stock cams with 2 sets of new chains and sprockets. I got them free with cylinders and cam plates that I bought. Guess I won't be running out any time soon. :)

That belt looks nice but I understand from one of the other lists that I frequent that it's $800 for the kit. That's a lot of money. I'd go for the gear-driven cams first. I wonder what direction the front cam runs in and where you could get cams?

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
I noticed a lot of comments about a tensioner that could wear in this thread. I guess no one noticed that its an idler pulley not a friction tensioner. It should take the stress and shock loads from pinion runout and the cams loading and unloading the belt.

Joe

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Also noticed that with that cover design it would be about a 5 minute job to change the cam advance/retard which they already have marked on the cam drive pulley.

Joe

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Nice looking piece but 800 dollars no thanks
No doubt to respond to the market that needs perfect fitting gears, his cams. So if you now are rotating the outside by belt and the inside by gears then you now have the need for special rotation cams and a longer snout piece too for the rear cam. Personally I would be a lot happier with a mild cam lazy hauling ass 107 or 114 with gear drive and stay away from the exotic iron. Those motors cost the same and will smoke the 1.25hp/ci 95" motor any day of the week and last longer to boot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.