V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding bikes in 1973 - first one was an Itom 49 cc torture pipe! Later upgraded to Yamahas: a 180 twin and then an XJ750 twin while studying and the first year working.
Then came marriage, kids, responsibility(!), etc. In 1988 I got a dirtbike going and when my son was 7 years old in 1992 I got him a Yamaha PW80 too, so we started off-road biking together. These were wonderful times - we really had a lot of fun together! My son suffers with concentration problems, but on a bike he has to concentrate else you fall off - magic therapy!!
Around 1996 I saved a 1983 Suzuki GSX400F from going to the rubbish dump, and got it going after quite a lot of de-rusting. I entered the Suz in the Motorcycle Economy run in 2001. It completed the run but it didn't do well in the standings due to a very strong headwind on the first day.
Due to the nature of my work I was away from home often and one evening in 2002 my wife made a lovely dinner. I thought it was for me going away, but then came the shock: She had a dream the previous night that she was riding a Harley!
One event followed the next and I bought my wife a XL883 Sportster. She went on an advanced ridng course (she rode before) and joined Ladies of Harley and had a lot of fun!
During 2003 we decided to go to the Harley-Davidson 100th anniversary celebrations in Milwaukee. I managed to rent an Electra Glide Classic in Nashville Tennessee through HOG's Fly-and-Ride program. We flew to New York and then on to Nashville to colect the bike. We rode the 600 miles up to Milwaukee in 2 days and camped in Rider's Ranch. We rode another 600 miles or so around Lake Michigan and Milwaukee (HOG 20th birthday celebrations, etc.) After the party on Sunday (we enjoyed Elton John!) we left on the Monday and rode back to Nashville in 2 two days (mostly in the rain) to return the bike. That is one trip we will never forget!
Initially I was very sceptical of the Sporty, but the more I rode it the more respect I got for it, especially after a few long distance rallies! At the end of September 2005 I made up my mind and decided to order an XL 1200 Custom. The dealer could not give me a delivery date and when I went to the dealer to do hand-to-hand combat with the salesman, I walked straight into a Dyna StreetBob standing right in the door. I changed my mind right there and ordered the Denim Black StreetBob. I still do not have a delivery date and I believe the factory recall on the cruise drive transmissions may delay its delivery even further. It is actually while seaching for information regarding the recall that I came across the VTF. I found much more info here than anywhere else.
Some colleagues arranged a track day during November 2005 and I took the 883 Sporty out there (with my wife's permission) after my son outraced me on the Suzuki GSX400F. After some instructions and tips from a superbike racing instructor, I learnt that the problem with cornering the Sporty was actually me - not the bike! By the end of the day I was giving some of the superbikes a go through the turns - but of cource they ran circles around me on the straight.
Thanx to all the members for sharing your views and experiences (and pictures) on VTF.
Torrom

G

·
Welcome to the board, great intro.

I knew if we waited long enough we'd find out who it was that enjoyed Elton John's concert :)

Harris

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Welcome to the board! It is a good story and interesting to see the expense and trouble you went to for that trip.

Harris said:
Welcome to the board, great intro.

I knew if we waited long enough we'd find out who it was that enjoyed Elton John's concert :)

Harris
Harris, you're killing me!!:roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Welcome to the pinnacle platform for V-Twin motorcycle enthusiasts. The boundaries are that of the imagination.

Interesting intro. Post up and enjoy this fine, 2 wheeled, air cooled wonderland of a forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fourstar said:
Welcome to the board! It is a good story and interesting to see the expense and trouble you went to for that trip.

Harris, you're killing me!!:roflback: :roflback: :roflback:
Harris, I was wondering what response I would get on the Elton John comment. I guess I set myself up for it!
The wife and I only heard about the "mystery artist" controversy surrounding the anniversary party when we were queuing outside the entrance to Veteran Park. When we got inside there was a lady standing in front of us who had a "feeling" it may be Elton John. My wife is a huge Elton fan and supported this viewpoint all way ( I don't know how the women allways seem to know these things!).
There was a "whiner" standing behind us who speculated the mystery artist may be either the Rolling Stones or U2. (I wouldn't mind either.) When they broadcasted the Milwaukee Mayor's message the "whiner" whined about taxes and when they broadcasted the President's message he whined about the "poor administration". When Elton John appeared on stage he gave one four-letter word and left! Interesting people in the USA! I saw a few nasty letters in the H-D Enthusiast magazine regarding the "mystery artist" afterwards.
My viewpoint: when you come a long way from a third-world country and the party is free - drink your beer and have a ball! Never mind whether it is U2 or Elton John. The place rocked. Wasn't the fireworks something!
I must say I enjoyed it when Kid Rock was stomping on Elton's piano with his Wehrmacht boots - wonder what the insurance salesman was thinking!
Some highlights of our trip: at the party were 5 guys on our right - they rode their bikes all the way from Seattle to the celebration (2000 miles?) - very friendly folks who earned my respect!
On our way to Milwaukee - Rick and his wife from "cow country" (Pennsylvania) who helped us get through the 3 hour traffic jam in Chicago and took us to lunch after we got through the big city - they were angels sent from heaven!
The guys and girls from Indiana on the "coaches" who guided us through town to miss the 5 mile queue to the tollgate on the Interstate - they saved us two hours and quite a bit of rain.
The folks from C&S Harley-Davidson in Nashville TN - thanks for the excellent service, advice and allowing me time to get the bike back to the shop in one piece through the rain and the traffic! That Electra Glide Classic ran like a dream and never missed a beat! Thanx also for the licence plate holder you gave me as memoir - I fitted it to my wife's bike - looks good.
Thank you for the welcome messages (also from 4-star and Fatboy). Perhaps one day we see each other on the road.
Ride and have fun.
Regards,
Torrom

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Torrom and WELCOME to the VTF.

Lets hope MOCO sorts out the recall and gets that bike out to ya!! Are you keeping the Sporty? (Why not, eh?). Sure sounds like Motorcycling is a family affair for you. Nice to hear.

My OL wants a Sporty and I have told her to do the course, first, then we would get her on two wheels. After a long trip on the backseat, recently, she said she is done being a passenger and wants a go with the controls.

CHEERS!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Good intro. Congrats on Street Bob, and hope they get it to ya quick. Post up often and enjoy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seamonkeyman said:
Thanks for sharing, Torrom and WELCOME to the VTF.

Lets hope MOCO sorts out the recall and gets that bike out to ya!! Are you keeping the Sporty? (Why not, eh?). Sure sounds like Motorcycling is a family affair for you. Nice to hear.

My OL wants a Sporty and I have told her to do the course, first, then we would get her on two wheels. After a long trip on the backseat, recently, she said she is done being a passenger and wants a go with the controls.

CHEERS!
Hi seamonkeyman. Good to hear from another member in the Southern Hemisphere! Closest I got to your place was Melbourne in Oz once.
Yes, we will be keeping the Sporty - it's the wife's bike although I borrowed it often recently! I had a sundowner seat with short sissy bar and some adjustable highway pegs fitted. When we got the bike I had SE2 pipes fitted, but the engine had a splutter which I cured by fitting a Dynojet kit with a "Thunder Nozzle". She goes pretty well now - especially at sea level! The kids also like tagging along as passengers now and again and my son has his bike learners licence now, so biking is a family affair for us.
My wife is starting to develop arthritis problems in her wrists so we don't know how long she will be able to keep riding, but she is determined to keep riding as long as she can. When she can no longer ride she will either ride pillion on the Bob or we will have to upgrade to some couch.
You must get you OL that Sporty - the Sporties are very compact and they love the twisties. If you OL is vertically challenged like mine (i.e. short) they can get both feet on the deck because the seat is nice and low. The new models with the anti-vibration engine mount are also much smoother to ride - your OL will love it!
Regards and thanks for the welcome message.
T

G

·
Torrom,

I was actually just trying to be funny.

In reality my view is very close to yours. I'm not a big Elton John fan, but was at the concert, and stayed for about three of his songs. The truth of the matter is the 100th and the 95th anniversary celebrations were probably the two most memorable and fun MC events I've been to. My reasons for this have a lot more to do with the people in Milwaukee who always roll out the red carpet for all of us, and for the great people from all over the world that you meet there; than with any of the organized events. The concert at the end of the 100th was a great time. I heard the complaints about standing in the long lines, but I remember talking with great people for an hour or so. Elton John wouldn't have been my first choice, but undoubtledly he was the perrfect fit for others. Finally, for those of us that bought our tickets from the MoCo (as opposed to some who paid scalpers), the concert didn't add a penny to the cost, and so no one has a legitimate bitch coming about being "cheated".

I hope you don't let my smart-assed comment disuade you from becoming a regular here, and if you make it over for the 105th, I'll buy you and your witfe brats and beers after we stand in line for an hour. :)

Harris

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Great story... glad you went for the Bobster.

Welcome to the forum... I found it the same way and have come to know some of the members here. A great bunch and knowledge abounds.

Post up some pics of the Bob when you get it and the sporty... make sure you wife is on it.

Re: Elton:
The guy in me wants to chime in on the negative, but my recollections are that I have enjoyed his music through the years. Did I mention that I am from California.

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
Let us know next time you are in MELB and we will hook up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts