V-Twin Forum banner

new user intro

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  VA V-Rod 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I bought my HD Low Rider in 01 knowing little about motorcycles. It was delivered in the winter and my husband gave me my first lesson in 20 degree weather. It didn't go very well being so cold my hands and feet were numb and I had no idea that it was soooo heavy. I attempted the friction zone moving an inch at a time but I would freak out thinking it was going to fall over and I couldn't hold it. So come May I bought a Honda 250 to learn on. It was light but had a high seat - 29". (I'm 5'2" 95 lbs with a 25" inseam) Anyway I dumped the Honda everywhere I went trying to learn and then I got into a motorcycle class. I rode the Honda about 100 miles and decided to get a Yamaha Vstar 650 because I still was afraid of the Harley's weight. The Yamaha had a low seat 25" so it was pretty easy to ride. I rode that about 200 miles and my husband was planning on us going to the York, PA Harley open house. I still wasn't on the Harley but didn't want to ride a Yamaha to a Harley function so I decided to have the Harley lowered. Got it back right before the trip and decided to ride it to York. My husband wasn't too sure and decided to bring a trailer with us so I could put it on if I couldn't handle it. I learned to ride the bike on the PA turnpike and rode it all the way there and back. I've had the bike raised back up since then because it was dangerously low - only 1 1/2" clearance to the ground. Beefed up its power twice, put on a bunch of chrome and other cool stuff. By the way, only the honda went down not the Harley. And that's my story.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Welcome, it is a great accomplishment to master one of these Harley's. Statisticly, if someone gets hurt on the road it is during there first couple of years riding. The more you ride the better you become. Seems like this is true of most things in life. Take it easy and you've got it made.

My wife has been riding her own Harley Softail for 10 years now and a Sportster for a couple years before that. It is a great and rewarding hobby we have.

#6 ·
AngelsSpirit said:
This post is by his wife. The site keeps logging on under his s/n.
That's because a "cookie" is set to remember your hubby when he visits the HDF.

When you visit, click on "forums". Then click "log out", this will log your hubby off so that you can log in.

wyo

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum. Great intro. Ride safe on the Low Rider and post up often.

#10 ·
Welcome and congrats!

#14 ·
Yes Welcome Angelspirit,

Glad you joined us. I too have been bugging my wife to get her license and get a bike too. She not too much into the idea, even though she used to ride dirt bike growing up, but I think as she meet more women riders she might just go for it. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. And being a little afraid is not all bad. There are old riders and bold riders but not too many old bold riders.

Welcome again,

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.