V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
I am thinking about getting a new Ultra Classic and wanted to get everyone's opinion. Any words of wisdom on what extras you think I need? I also wanted to go ahead and get some decent pipes right away, nothing so loud that I can't hear the radio but I want some with a 'Harley' sound.
Any thoughts?

Digger

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Digger, cool a new ride. You will like that '06 the new stereo is great and with the Ultra it comes with about all you need. I would be sure and add on the XM and check out the fullsac mufflers at www.fullsac.com. I put those mufflers on my '06 RG and they have a nice deep sound but not too loud while cruising down the superslab. I would do the stage one intake or the Ness big sucker intake also. What color are you going for?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feed back. I am headed to the dealer in the morning to check things out. He has a red & black on the floor. He said that he could do a dealer trade for any color I want. I am thinking about cobalt blue. I have a '03 Heritage classic(will be selling, maybe) that is Gun metal pearl and I like the color. I am hoping the cobalt blue is similar.
I will check out the Fullsac pipes.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Road Glider said:
...or the Ness big sucker intake also.
the big sucker for '06 is supposed to be available mid-March...I'm waiting for one, too.
I have the cobalt/silver...got it last August & didn't have a choice of colors.
I do like the solid cobalt...
I bought some Wild Pigs awhile back, but haven't put them on yet. I also have a set of Touring mufflers that i had on my last bike.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Digger Bob said:
Thanks for the feed back. I am headed to the dealer in the morning to check things out. He has a red & black on the floor. He said that he could do a dealer trade for any color I want. I am thinking about cobalt blue. I have a '03 Heritage classic(will be selling, maybe) that is Gun metal pearl and I like the color. I am hoping the cobalt blue is similar.
I will check out the Fullsac pipes.
IMO, the Sunglo Blue Pearl is better looking than the Cobalt Blue Pearl on the Ultra.-2$en#e-

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
You may be one of the few people that like the stock saddle, if so, good. Chances are you'll end up buying a Mustang or Corbin, much more comfortable.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
You might want to sit on a RG if they have one on the showroom floor if you consider switching out the seat on that Ultra. I know several folks who have put the RG seat on their EG or ULTRA becasue it fits them better than the standard seat that comes on those bikes. Just an alternative to getting a corbin or whatever. If you like the RG seat you can usually find them on Ebay for reasonable $.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Just got myself an Ultra, and have ordered the Bassani True Dual exhaust system. I'm also going to get the SE Race tuner.
Hopefully, that will make the bike sound a bit beefier but not too obnoxious, I really hearing my tunes!!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I bought an '06 Ultra....

I did a 95" kit with SE heads, 211 cams, Supertrapp 2-1 exhaust, SERT, etc....
I was unhappy with the build, the dealer is redoing it over the winter (actually taking a step back to 203 cams, stock heads).
I got the XM kit, high performance amp, bluetooth kit, radar detector, and GPS. The electronic integration is fantastic, Harley did a great job.
I also got J&M helmets with headsets built in.

If I had to replace the bike because it got wrecked or stolen, I'd do all the electronic goodies again. I'm not sure if I'd build another Screaming Eagle 95" build though, have to see how the 203 cams and stock heads do once spring rolls around.

I like the Supertrapp 2-1 pipe a lot. Relatively quiet, but with a nice tone to the exhaust.

I'm also having the dealer put on the hydraulic clutch kit and a bunch of chrome goodies (handlebars, controls, forks, etc...) over the winter during their sale. Not strictly necessary to enjoy the bike.

I like the seat, and so does my wife. I also like the handlebar position. I suspect this is because I'm about average height, about 5'10".

Luggage space is great, especially the tourpack.

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
White......never goes out of style.

95 BB, street port heads, slip-on exhaust Wild Pigs, PCIII module, HQ 0039 cams, Xm Roady2 Satellite, Radio......that puppy will rock.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
My Cobalt Blue 2006 Ultra just arrived at the warehouse in Canada. I'm picking it up from the dealer on March 18, providing the weather cooperates :D

They have a street glide in Cobalt at my dealer, and I think the color is very cool!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Digger,

In response to your question, "what extras do you think I need?"

- Passenger Grab Rail. HD put them on every bagger for years til '06. Now it costs $128 for what was a standard item. Still worth it. Fits fine if tour pac is in rear position. I don't carry a passenger as wife has her own bagger. The rail is great for securing gear during road trips.

- Saddlebag Guard Bag. These are super handy but best part is they protect the front of hard saddlebags from rock dings.

- Oil Cooler if you ride much in the Southern States. The twin cam engine makes really strange sounds with the temps go above 240 degrees.

- "Chrome Passenger Footpeg Mounting Kit." The stock passenger floorboards hit me in the back of the legs when I'm backing the bike in parking lots. Ditch the stock passenger floorboards. There are lots of options for passenger foot pegs that are lighter weight and not in the way. Also, if you do your own maintenance, you will love getting the passenger floorboard out of the way.

- Highway pegs. Your choice.

- Tour-Pac Luggage Rack. Great to tie down all that extra stuff that one gathers when at Sturgis, etc.

All this stuff is easy to install with common tools. I tend to avoid adding anything to a bike that is not functional.

JMHO

Enjoy the new Ultra! (a picture of my '06 in white is on page 6 of the EG owners thread above)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts