V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '99 Victory Cruiser with 500 miles on it. Love it, nothin but fun!

Anyone from Ga? Atlanta?

Any local clubs?
Randall

·
Registered
100 Posts
I hope you enjoy your Victory as much I do mine! :D You will find alot more Vic riders in your area on their site at thevmc.com

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats on your bike. Hope you get a bunch of good times on it. Is it bone stock or did it come with extras? If it only has 500 miles on it, you basically got a new bike. Hope you got a good price on it.

I run full synthetic in both of my Vics, and extend my oil change intervals out to 5k. Amsoil, which I believe is the company making HDs sythetic oil, is a good choice, as is Royal Purple. You can use a Bosch 3323 oil filter from Auto Zone for about $5 a pop if a dealer isn't handy. It's the only filter I've been using for a couple of years now. Headlights are available at Auto Zone for under $15, but the spark plugs may be harder to find. I'd keep a set handy for one of those cold days that you foul the originals out.

I'd say you're gonna be real pleased with the motor. They are rock soild. You may or may not have tranny issues with a 99, only time will tell. Some folks have many miles on their '99s with nary a problem, some folks have had to have tranny rebuilds. On the first 2 years of production, the 99-00 models, it appears to be a crap shoot. Vic redesigned the offending parts in later years starting with the 01 models so that it is no longer an issue with any 01 or above. Belt changes take about 45 minutes because they designed a piece on the right side of the swing arm that pops right out, thus no need to drop the axle. Brake pads are a breeze, as are oil changes.

If you have a specific problem with a Harley, you can either go to a shop around the corner, or walk next door to your neighbor, who is likely to have one, for help. That is one of the great thing about HD. Knowledge of their product with specific fixes for specific issues isn't hard to find. Same ain't true for Vic. That's why I'd recommend you either get yourself a service manual, or get a friend or two with Vic bikes. Hell, you may be a mechanical genius with no need for help, but most of us need a bit of advice from time to time, so unless you have a dealer next door, you may want to cultivate a few friendships. :) I know it's saved me a world of trouble.

Good luck on your bike. There's a guy on another forum with well over 150k on his 99. I hope you get to enjoy yours as much as he has. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just read a good article in American Iron magazine and they say Harley oil has been produced by Shell and Sunoco.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Newbie stuff

Yep,
I think HD's are more like a fashion statement after one week. I drove to the local HD Super Store in Buford Ga and no-one would even come up to me and say hello , eat dirt or go to .......
Anyway, Yes I love it. It is a numbered bike, #607 stamped in several places. I have been into the Jeep world for a long while and just getting back into Bikes, but am having the time of my life.
Day One: Take apart and put back together the entire bike... Actually took weekend. All the neighbors freak out . But, if you do not know how it works and how it works with everything else well your screwed.

Day 2. Ride

Day 3. Skip 1/2 day of work and ride to the North Ga mtns and ride

Day 4 . Skip another 1/2 day of work and ride the interstates of Eastern GA, Note to self, stay off of I 85,and I-75.

Day 5 . Fuel line "t" below the tank and the before the fuel pump is basically dry rotted. Damn, parts is $100.00. I decide to get a foot pedal relo kit for another $100.00.

Now I am in wait mode.
What else do I need to look out for in the immediate future??????????
Randall

·
Registered
89 Posts
You may want to check this out. The fuel line was no good from the get-go. Those are recalled. Mine split when my ex-99 Victory was new. Bike began spewing fuel on a ride.

Also check other 99 Victory recalls, if not done they are show stoppers.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts