V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here goes. I just picked up my "new" bike today, '07 RK, 96 ci with the 6 speed. I moved from an '04 Fat Boy (hence the name!). Anyway, I know that the engine is mounted differently from the softtails to the touring bikes but this bike seems to vibrate more than I would think it should. It vibrates so much that when I'm using the rear brake, it actually bounces my foot off the brake pedal. In order to reduce the vibration at idle, I just throttle up a tad and it smooths out.
Should I take it back and have the mounts checked? So far, my FB was much smoother that this RK. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
It is normal to vibrate at low RPM, at a light etc. But the vibration with the rear pedal is not right. My Ultra is smooth as can be except at idle. When I hit the back brake I barely feel it. Get it checked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As stated the Touring bikes do shake/vibrate at idle but I have
never had it shake my foot off the brake either.

I second have someone give it a check.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sounds like u have nailed it down, never let your motor oil from the filter (or anywhere else) drain on the front motor mounts as it will assist in breaking down the rubberish molded part and then u end up with a loose and direct connection between the chassis and the engine.
Not saying that the OP did such a dastardly move to said Harley, hmmm seems oddly familar???? :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2012 ultra that does the same thing. I called Harley customer service and they told me to tell the dealership to check the engine mounts and the rear pivot point. If I go on the road and pull in the clutch and shut off the engine the vibration quits, smooth as silk. Dealer told me they can not feel it. I will wait until next season for that. Getting cool here in Mi

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Softail models have a solid mount with a counter balancer in the motor. The touring have rubber mounted motors no counter balancer. Hints more vibration. But if you fel it is to much would not hurt to have it checked for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I went from a 04 Dyna Wide Glide (88 motor) to an 07 Touring Street Glide with a 96 motor. Man did it ever wake me up. I mean I couldn't believe the different in vibration. I hated it for the longest time and it drove me crazy but as these guys have said you just get used to it. It's normal. Now I wouldn't trade my SG for anything else in the world. I ride it 1000 miles a day on trips and there's no problem now. However if it literally vibrates you foot off the peddle then maybe there is a problem with your bike. I'd at least have them check it out. :coffee:

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Had the bike checked out and all is well and I've put some more seat time in and I am starting to get used to it now and it doesn't seem as severe as I originally thought. Still working on an issue with the dealer that I bought it from, it was advertised as having Rush slip-ons when I bought it and I was looking to make it a little louder so I was going to purchase a different set of baffles. To make a long story short, the slip-ons that are on the bike are actually HD SEII slipons an the baffle cant be changed. Still waiting to see what they are going to do.
Had an issue yesterday, was taking a short ride with my daughter and noticed that my turn signals were not working as well as my gas gauge. Got home, turn the bike off, then back on and everything started working again.
Any thoughts?

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Evidently the computer had a hiccup and rebooting set it straight. Nothing to worry about unless it keeps happening regularly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts