V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I swayed from rice to protein... I have been riding bikes my whole life (I'm only 27) but I am planning on building my own HD.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
FJC,

Welcome to the H/D forum. If your looking for information on building a custom bike, I "think" we have some folks around here that might be able to steer you in the right direction. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro... I am on the way there. I just got two good books...

This is a nice forum you have here...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome FJC,

I looked into building my own, but by the time I added up all the parts, the possible insurance and registration issues and to top it off re-sale value. I decided since I don't have a name in the bike building business I just figured I'd buy new. But I have to hand it to you good luck. I also think I started out just wanting too much to start with, I was looking at a Patrick engine and a 6-speed Trans, with sprung rear suspension, heck it was already over $12K at that point alone and that didn’t include the PM wheels and calipers/rotors.

Again good luck I am looking forward to seeing the finished produc

Dave

·
Registered
544 Posts
I was told that you really have to be careful how you word it when you register it at the DMV. Don't say stuff like home build or kit, they like Harley to be used or in some way try to tie it to a major manufacture in some way. Check with a few of the after market shops they usually can tell you what you should say and not say.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I am getting a HD 88 "B" engine (or A) and tranny. Would that work for "titling" purposes?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I looked at doing a custom versus buying a Harley. I went the Harley route.

If you build your own. Frame, engine, tranny MSO requirements to title a special construct bike varies state by state. As you said above the insurance is becoming harder to get and more expensive for SPCN bikes.

Bikes built by builders/companies certified by the National Highway Traffic Administration have MSO/Titles in a company name. Makes it easier to finance/insure/title/warranty. Not sure how much it helps with resale value.

I used to live and MA and have fond memories of the registry. Remember if you don't like the first answer you get, just ask another person who works at the RMV, you may get a different answer.

http://www.state.ma.us/rmv/info/phone.htm

Whichever way you go, enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts