V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little info. I'm looking to buy my first Harley. I rode a '97 Dyna Super Glide yesterday, and it viberated so bad that it actually gave me an headache. Is this typical of all Harleys? This one was totally stock. My someone could suggest another model. What about the Wide Glide, or Fat Boy?

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Texas41, I'm really not sure where to begin with your question because I feel like your headaches are unrelated to the vibration or at least i've never heard of such a thing from riders of many different Harleys. I'm not saying that there was nothing wrong with the bike that you rode to cause excessive vibration but for the normal superglide I have never experienced a vibration that was severe enough to cause a headache. LOL. As a matter of fact after riding so many inline fours in my past I would have to say that as far as vibration goes that most every other bike besides a Harley had a numbing vibration at highway speed that actually put my hands and feet to sleep. I have found that the shaking at idle on the rubber mounts doesn't even radiate to the head and has very little fatiguing affect on the hands. From the start in forward motion the bike smoothes imediately and continues to be smooth up to at least 90 mph but does have noticable vibes in excess of 100. So for moderate speeds I can't relate to what you are saying. There are smoother bikes out there, some even loosing the feel of of being on a motorcycle, but the old teeth rattling vibrations are reserved to Harleys from the past and custom rigid mounts for the most part these days.

If you are looking for a smooth idleing bike then a softail will give you a smooth feel sitting still. The counter balanced TC88B motor is smooth and will remain so up untill 70-75 mph where it starts a mild vibration that exceeds that of a rubber mounted TC88. But in any case, even on 700+ mile per day trips I haven't found any ill effects from the vibration of the big twin bikes. It sounds like you may be a canidate for a gold wing or such which they say are smooth enough to make you forget that you are on a motorcycle. That's something that I don't even want to imagine!

Hope I was of help.

Later,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input.
I just got back from a local dealer who let me test a Wide Glide, Fat Boy,
and a Low Rider. None of them were anywhere near as bad as the first one I rode. There has to be something major wrong with that bike.
After all, a 97, Super Glide, 7500 mi. for under 10K.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow, I never heard of this headache dilemma before either. I have a 99 FXDS and have never felt it vibrated enough to cause a headache. The only time I notice any shake on my bike is at idle. I think before you give up on Harley you should try to ride a couple of more bikes. The thought of anyone on a goldwing makes me want to puke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts