V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.

I'm a recent Harley convert, having decided at my age that comfort and reliability are now top priority; plus riding a really cool looking bike made in the good ole USA ain't a bad reason either. Plus, my wife has started riding with me again now that the comfort factor has improved.

First bike was in 1962 and was a 50-something Cushman with the 5 bhp flathead engine. That allowed me to get my motorcycle license in Tenn. at 14. My dad bought it as a $50 basket case and we rebuilt it from the bottom up (where I learned about reboring, oversize pistons, etc.) in the basement. He painted it candy apple red, which was the hottest color on the hot rod scene at the time. My next bike was a 1967 Triumph TR6R that I bought in 1969 when I returned to the states from a U.S. Navy cruise in Vietnam. I have kept and ridden that bike since then, although the wife says the old girl has to go - and she wasn't referring to herself.

I didn't ride a lot during the 26 years that we raised kids -- hard to tell your little ones that you'll be riding all weekend instead of playing with them - but they are all out of the house and the wife and I are ready to raise a limited amount of hell until age puts the damper on us.

Having a great time on the Harley and getting ready for a week-long trip to Southern Cal, partly to visit our two youngest kids who are in school there. Hope to visit all the missions down there for the Northern Harley Dealer's Mission Run contest.

Look forward to chatting with y'all.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Thanks for your service! {salute( Post up often and enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts