1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First post to this forum. Just got back from the Chicago
Bike show and thought I'd share a couple of pics I took. I'm an
ex *** bike owner, currently looking into H-D. I am trying to educate
myself on the ins and outs of Harleys, specifically pricing.

What chance do I have of buying a new Softtail Duece or Night Train
at MSRP? I see ads for used ones going for 20k but MSRP in all the
literature is like 16 - 17. Is there still long waiting lists or is this just
a myth? Everyone tells me I have to wait 2 years...but then again they
don't own one. Do I have to buy thousands of extras in order to drive
the bike home? And which is the preferred method of induction - carb
or EFI? I have lots of questions, but any advice to a H-D newbie but
not biking in general is appreciated.

My brother wants a VROD (and who doesnt'?). What's his chance of
getting one of these for MSRP?

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Top_Notch, Thanks for sharing the pictures and welcome to the forum. I recognize at least two of the bikes. LOL. I could look at custom bikes all day long. I guess that's one of the reasons I like going to rallies.

I have seen more bikes on the showroom floors lately than I ever have. Probably a combination of things, but it makes it great for a new buyer. The stealers are still at it getting what they can over MSRP but there seems to be more bikes available at the non-stealers. I saw a Duece on the floor and a Nighttrain the other day at a dealer about an hour away. He did just open a new building and has a greater alotment. He charges just slighly over MSRP now but at least he has bikes. I don't know about the 2003's since the 100th anniversary might come into play, but it's as good of a fair-deal time as ever right now. For a look into some of the stealers and dealers check out: http://www.hawgeye.com/. There ARE MSRP sellers out there.

Later,

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome to the board. You'll like it here and if you need questions answered, there are a lot of smart folks here. I guess it depends on where you live as to the possibility of being able to buying at MSRP or slightly above. There are still lists and if you order, it takes several months to get it. Most of the V-Rods are already bought before they arrive at the dealer and the dealer may get to display them for a short period of time before the owner drives them off. I have seen 3 at 3 different dealers and the were all already sold. If you really want a Harley, it is worth the wait and additional money you may have to lay out. The bikes and engines get better with each passing year. I have ridden Harleys for years and just bought a new 2002 FLSTSI with EFI and I am in HOG heaven. It is so smooth and almost zero vibration, but retains the distinctive "potato, potato, potato" at idle. I would almost bet that your brother won't find a V-Rod at MSRP, but it doesn't hurt to kook around. Hope to see you here often.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Welcome...

Hey Top_Notch,
I'm A newbie here as well! The Night Train is a menacing looking ride. Originally considered one but changed my mind as soon as I sat on it. Swung my leg over it, sat down, reached for the bars and instant back ache. In my opinion, it's a great looking ride to cruise the Ave. on Saturday night, but anything in excess of an hours ride would be too painful to enjoy without swapping out to pull back risers and possibly a different seat.

Haunt the dealerships and test ride the different models if at all possible. Make an educated decision since you're talking a large outpouring of cash here. Enjoy the hunt! Once you've bagged the right one, then the enjoyment really begins. Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn Jackyl...you have all the toys!

With 2 kids and the current economic situation I think it will be a while
before I have both a Vette and H-D, although I think they seem to go
together. My goal is to have a nice C2 and H-D some day. So far, I'm
only ½ way to my nice C2 (see pic below) and well off a nice H-D.
Although when I buy a H-D it will be new, shiny, and black...just as it
should be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts