V-Twin Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name is Dennis. Forty-six years last week. Just joined a few moments ago. Read a few of the other new members posts and will fill ya in with my story.
Rode a Honda 550-4 back in the late 70's-early 80's. Friends let me ride their Harleys now and then. Always enjoyed the rides. One fine June day I was driving home in my car and came upon an accident scene. A dirt bike hit the plow frame of an oncoming pick-up truck. The biker's injuries were serious. His foot was ripped off just above the ankle and he was lying in the gutter all twisted and warped. Being on the scene before the rescuers and police arrived I had the opportunity to collect some of the debris aound the scene. One item was his boot, complete with the sheared off foot inside, a scene I will never forget. At that point I said I would never ride a bike again!
Ah, all has changed in the last year. Some say I am going through a "mid life crisis", I say it is a "mid life adjustment"!
About this time last year it was announced in our local newspaper that our fair city (Worcester) would host the 2001 HOG state rally. The event would take place at our convention center and on Shrewsbury St. As luck would have it, I work in a hospital across the street from the site and at the end of Shrewsbury St. This allowed me to get a close look at all the bikes and attend the last night party on the street. I was determined to buy a bike after that, preferably in the winter when the prices would come down.
In October I got a call from a relative in Florida who inquired about my pursuit of a Harley. The call resulted in my purchase of a site unseen 1995 Sportster 1200 for $4100. It cost me another $500 to ship it here and it arrived the day after Thanksgiving. I've since put about 1500 miles on it due to the unseasonable weather we've experience this winter.
Although I enjoy the Sporty very much, my eyes are on a newer Super Glide Sport right now. Thinking of selling my 98 F150 Lariat to pay for it.
And before I forget, my Bride has not been on it yet, has not even agreed to ride with me yet, but my plans are to pass the Sporty down to her. Hey, friends tell her about the "Milwaukee Vibrator". I'm sure only time will tell.
Look forward to good reading in the future. :Dennis :-0 : --8

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Glad to have you join us fourhour. We enjoy hearing from new members right from the start. I think the more we know about each other the more open we will be in sharing and learning from each other. YOU do make a difference here. We are lucky to be attracting such good people in such a short time. Stick around with us, you will like it here.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fifthgear. Read your interesting account of the trip to Daytona. Sorry to hear it was'nt all that good. Can testify to it though. Spent that week in Nassau, Bahamas and the young college girls did'nt even give us old geezers a look, (went with a 48 y/o buddy) and the weather was'nt all that great. Glad I shipped my ride up earlier. Had planned on driving down during bike week to retrieve it and after hearing your story...........
You mentioned your forgetfulness about mentioning this site to others on the road. I belong to F150online.com and we have bumper stickers with the forum logo on it. Perhaps the site admin here may take note or do they allready have one?
:Dennis :) : --8

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome to the board fourhour. I think a lot of us here are "middle aged" and probably going through some "crisis":D . Anyway, folks here are very friendly and knowledgeable. My wife won't ride because she was an operating room Nurse for too many years and of course saw only the worst bike accident casualties. She does however support my habits, one of the many reasons I love her! I'm a PA and have seen my fair share of accident trauma in the emergency room, but fortunately, most of it is not as serious as you have described. So anyway, welcome and hope to see you post here often.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome aboard, fourhour!

Sounds like ya' got a good deal on the Sportster. They are certainly fun bikes. Hope you're able to talk your wife into ridin' with ya'. Having your lady along on a ride is a definite plus for both of you!!! :D Oh, make sure she takes the MSF class.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Welcome...

Yo Dennis,

Welcome to the forum. I like your taste in scooters. I ride a heavily breathed upon '99 FXDX and can attest to the fact that the Dyna Sport is 'the' performance leader of the big twin line. They run well as stock but I never could own any thing with wheels without messing with it. The list of go fast goodies for the Twin Cam is endless.

The day that my girlfriend brought me to the dealership to pick up the new bike I spoke those famous last words; "It's perfect, I wouldn't change a thing!" Three years, three months and $5,000 in improvements later and it's still not done. What a money hole! I'll never part with it so I don't consider the money invested an issue.

Just get the FXDX and ride the everlovin' sh!t out of it. You'll love it!

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've been told that HD does'nt stand for Harley Davidson, it stands for "Hundred Dollars" or "Huge Debt"! Tell me more about this MSF class and why should my Bride take it? Later!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
From a former "Masshole",Welcome to the forum, Dennis!

You'll like it here,great place to hang out.

My best friend & his wife live in Worcester, we usually make it down that way a couple times a year.

Lookin forward to your posts.
guido

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anybody else from New England get any of that white **** today? Got about an inch but it is raining now so it should wash away. More predicted possibly on Wednesday, first day of Spring!

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's 7:00 pm and it's still coming down! Got about an inch or so mixed with rain and these friggin' snow cluster things about the size of a V.W.!I am so pissed not having a seat for the bike yet and the weather that I didn't even go out to the garage after work to drool on the bike.(a daily ritual) Come oooooon spring!!!!!!!!!!
Sheepboy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi fourhour,
Welcome to the board! I'm new myself. I just got my first Harley last Friday, a 2002 Fatboy. We have great weather at the moment and I was on my new bike the whole weekend. Hope we don't get any snow anymore, but livin' on the foothills of the alps, you never know till about end of April.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
LOL! Does this mean, that I have to welcome :Dennis to the forum as well! For heavens sake, you can't get enough of him, Dean!

Welcome, :Dennis! I hope you enjoy your stay here! We've got tons of info and lots of smarta$$es, too! I'm sure you'll fit right in! LOL!

Boy, if we only knew what we know now! LOL!

·
Registered
5 Posts
fourhour said:
Name is Dennis. Forty-six years last week. Just joined a few moments ago. Read a few of the other new members posts and will fill ya in with my story.
Rode a Honda 550-4 back in the late 70's-early 80's. Friends let me ride their Harleys now and then. Always enjoyed the rides. One fine June day I was driving home in my car and came upon an accident scene. A dirt bike hit the plow frame of an oncoming pick-up truck. The biker's injuries were serious. His foot was ripped off just above the ankle and he was lying in the gutter all twisted and warped. Being on the scene before the rescuers and police arrived I had the opportunity to collect some of the debris aound the scene. One item was his boot, complete with the sheared off foot inside, a scene I will never forget. At that point I said I would never ride a bike again!
Ah, all has changed in the last year. Some say I am going through a "mid life crisis", I say it is a "mid life adjustment"!
About this time last year it was announced in our local newspaper that our fair city (Worcester) would host the 2001 HOG state rally. The event would take place at our convention center and on Shrewsbury St. As luck would have it, I work in a hospital across the street from the site and at the end of Shrewsbury St. This allowed me to get a close look at all the bikes and attend the last night party on the street. I was determined to buy a bike after that, preferably in the winter when the prices would come down.
In October I got a call from a relative in Florida who inquired about my pursuit of a Harley. The call resulted in my purchase of a site unseen 1995 Sportster 1200 for $4100. It cost me another $500 to ship it here and it arrived the day after Thanksgiving. I've since put about 1500 miles on it due to the unseasonable weather we've experience this winter.
Although I enjoy the Sporty very much, my eyes are on a newer Super Glide Sport right now. Thinking of selling my 98 F150 Lariat to pay for it.
And before I forget, my Bride has not been on it yet, has not even agreed to ride with me yet, but my plans are to pass the Sporty down to her. Hey, friends tell her about the "Milwaukee Vibrator". I'm sure only time will tell.
Look forward to good reading in the future. :Dennis :-0 : --8
Welcome man, only been here a few days myself, seems like a nice place so far. I'm thinkin on doin the same thing with my sportster, wife wants to ride now since shes's been on the back of mine for the last 3 yrs. I like all the harley's so its gonna be tough to choose a new ride, but I will probably get a softail next time around.

jc1

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Take a riding course, it may save your life. Motorcycles, like guns are not toys to misuse.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
:welcome: To the fourms.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.