V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 FXDWGI I got late last summer, am a new rider, and have about 1,800 miles now. I plan on really putting big miles on this year so I am thinking would it make sense to pull the Dunlops off and do Metzler 880's right now.

Not concerned with the cost, want the best / safest ride, and figure I could sell the Dunlops for a few bucks anyway.

Thoughts? :thanks:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If your not concerned about the cost, go for it. Metzler's are fine tires. With only 1,800 miles on the Dunlops, the rear tire still has approx 8K miles left.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have over 16K on my 05 FXDCI and have not had any issues with the stock Dunlops. Even when riding in the rain, which I have done a lot, I haven't had any traction issues. Of course, you must adjust your speed to match conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Sounds like a waste of money/good rubber to me. Ride the Dunlops, wear 'em out, and then replace them with whatever tire you believe to be better.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
you might as well just ride the Dunlops until they're ready to be replaced. I put 14,000 on my stock tires and now have the Metzelers marathons. they are better in the rain, don't move around on grooves / cracks in the road. handle better also. when you change the tires change over to Lyndall racing brake z-pads you'll be glad you did.

good luck and ride safe.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,852 Posts
Yeah, just wear 'em on out. I prefer the Metzelers too, but the Dunlops are a quality tire. It's not like they're secret assassins just waiting for a window.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts